Oct 16, 2021, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Legionair fuse

Gents, I have a Legionair fuse that seems to have an issue. If you look at the pics you can see that one of the roots is longer than the other at the TE while they are pretty close on the LE. Did these come like this and the builder squared it away?
Last edited by Thermaleer; Oct 17, 2021 at 09:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2021, 06:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
This was a controversy back in the '70s and was argued vigorously, at times. There was an error in the molds that produced Legionair fuselages. The mold halves didn't match. The wings weren't straight and square with each other, and builders did what they could with them. I got pretty good at hiding this problem, the more of them I built for others. Some folks were pretty critical of the designer because of this but there really wasn't much profit in the kit business, and several hundred dollars for a new mold set just wasn't going to happen.

Back in 2001 when Ray Hayes contacted me, I sent him my plug so they could make a mold. It was an old beater fuselage I had found and Bondoed up, and it still had the mistakes in it... so they started from scratch and made a new plug and mold. The one I got from them was exceptional! Enjoy!

Darth Legionairdriver
Oct 16, 2021, 11:41 PM
Several year's ago Ray asked me to make 6 pod's for him. He sent me the mold's and I went to work. I discovered the error when I made a metal template of the root rib complete with an 1/8in pilot hole for the wing joiner. Before molding I drilled through each side of the mold so I could back drill through the same hole after I made and joined the pod. So I hold up the mold with a long 1/8 drill in it and the difference was obvious. And I just now looked at the pod I still have and the issue is still noticeable.
Oct 17, 2021, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
Wow, this problem dates back to the beginning. I'll see to making a wood one if I can't get this one straight.

Quick Reply