Oct 15, 2021, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Good Trainer

What is a good trainer for a new ( old) pilot ?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2021, 07:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Will you be learning by yourself or with the assistance of an experienced RC airplane flyer ?

What is your budget ?

So we know what is available to you : do you live in the USA , Europe , Australia , somewhere else ?
Oct 20, 2021, 05:25 PM
Balsa's questions matter, due to what you can get your hands on and what you're looking to spend as well.

I personally like the Apprentice S15e as a trainer plane; very easy to get up and learn to fly, and will glide for what feels like forever under no power. We use it for our club training sessions, and typically get 10 minutes of flight on a 3000-3200mah battery. And they've got the ability to step up and do some aerobatics like inverted flight, loops, and rolls. They're no 3D plane, but you can definitely grow with them.

In fact, we have several members in our club that have gotten them that still have them after 10 years, because they're just a relaxing plane to get out and fly. And, being that they're such a popular starter plane, there's almost always parts to be had for it that are mix n' match from the Apprentice S15e to the Apprentice STS. I've crashed mine 3 times in the past 9 months due to various things, and a little Gorilla glue and $30 for a new motor mount, cowl, and vertical stabilizer, and it's back flying!

Now, if you're not in the US, they can be kinda difficult to get your hands on, being a Horizon Hobby plane, but they're a pretty basic trainer. Something like an Ugly Stik or Simple Stik might be a good option to try and find in its stead.

And, while some people may recommend a gas/nitro motor, if you've never messed with it before, my suggestion would be to steer away from it for a trainer. It's a LOT of work to try and get them tuned for running, and cleanup, plus trying to get them started, well...It could just frustrate the heck out of you and turn you off of the hobby when you're trying to get in and just fly. Don't get me wrong, liquid fuel planes have their place, but I just don't think it's worth the headache when you're trying to get into the hobby.
Oct 20, 2021, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwingman
What is a good trainer for a new ( old) pilot ?
apprentice
Oct 21, 2021, 01:08 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Good trainer ?

Anyone, that has been set-up, (trimmed), correctly by an experienced flyer.

I bet you haven't forgot how to ride a bike.

Go for it

Ray
Oct 21, 2021, 01:54 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
The OP hasn't logged in since the day he posted , so I'm not sure if he's seen our responses .....
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Oct 21, 2021 at 03:13 PM.
Nov 04, 2021, 06:46 PM
Here is the plane I learned to fly on. This one is EPP foam very slow & easy to control.
Mike
https://twistedhobbys.com/th-34-epp-...trainer-green/
Nov 06, 2021, 11:01 AM
fix-n-fly
You'll get a lot of different opinions with this question. If you are okay with foam -

How about this - Crash Test Hobbies Albatross -
Crashtesting the CTH Albatross 11-11 (4 min 17 sec)

You can buy one here, and the person that owns the company gives info as to where to get what you will need to complete it - http://www.crashtesthobby.com/albatross-46.html
Last edited by fix-n-fly; Nov 10, 2021 at 12:34 AM.
Nov 13, 2021, 02:59 PM
Love the background music it reminds me of 70’s PrOn music. From the Albatross video

Quick Reply