This thread is privately moderated by GonzoBorinquen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 14, 2021, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Great Planes DR-1

Have had this Great Planes DR-1 since sometime around 2005. Has had many many flights and its body shows it. The Monokote is patch up with Monokote and USPS tape in many places.

The DR-1 still flies and does it very well. As a matter of fact this model does the most insane spins I have ever seen . I will start spinning it at an altitude of 300' and breakout of the spin at around 50'. The 250' spin treck takes around 10 - 15 seconds. The spin rate is awesome at about a revolution every half to 3/4 of a second. The angle very shallow, almost a flat spin.

The DR-1 is powered by a Saito 90 4 stroke with a 14X8 prop. It has a very nice sound to it and it idles at very low revolutions.

The Dr-1 is not an easy plane to fly thou. You have to be on top of it all thru the flight. It dislikes crosswinds and will track perfectly with wind not been more 25 degrees of the runway center. Surprisingly it is usually docile at landings even with its very narrow landing gear.

Just flew it last Wednesday 10/13/21 after a layover of around 2 years. Did have to work on the engine to loosen the throtte barrel that sticks with the old gummy castor oil. Otherwise, it started on the 1st try, adjusted high speed needle and idled perfectly.

Will do a restorer in the future not using monokote but silk span and sanding sealer. This will make look more real and high don't particulary like ironong on materials specially Monokote.

Will post once I start the restoration.
to remove ads between posts
Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Videos I found of the DR1 n youtube

Sentida Nota de Duelo (0 min 51 sec)

Fokker Triplane DR-1 RC (5 min 14 sec)

Quick Reply