Oct 13, 2021, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

OS Wankel on gas?

I was recently given an OS Wankel and don't do glow any more. Then Bert comments about a Wankel on gas.... hmmm.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2021, 10:11 AM
Still gassin' it.
I hope to be able to tell you more about it in the near future.

First thing that comes to mind, is that it probably will require a spark plug mod, given that normally sparkplugs protrude a bit into the combustion chamber, but in a Wankel, everything has to be flush to allow the Apex seal to pass...

It probably also will need some attention to cooling arrangement, even more since mine will be in pusher config.
Oct 13, 2021, 11:24 AM
A man with too many toys
A few years ago I was going to get a OS Wankel and get it flying. After reading up on them I decided they were more trouble than they are worth. Mercedes gave up on Wankel's over 40 years ago.

Spark ignition gasoline engines do run a lot hotter so that would be a problem.

OS Wankel's are best kept as collectors items. Doing a spark ignition mod would probably ruin the value. If you like round engines get a radial.

Oct 13, 2021, 12:05 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
A few years ago I was going to get a OS Wankel and get it flying. After reading up on them I decided they were more trouble than they are worth. Mercedes gave up on Wankel's over 40 years ago.

Spark ignition gasoline engines do run a lot hotter so that would be a problem.

OS Wankel's are best kept as collectors items. Doing a spark ignition mod would probably ruin the value. If you like round engines get a radial.

Naaaahhhh its not about the practical application. Its the challenge!!!

I do not have the faintest clue whether it will be possible or not, but sure as hell, if I get one for free for specifically this experiment, I am going to try the heck out of it.
Oct 13, 2021, 12:10 PM
One of the biggest shortcomings of the Wankel design is sealing the rotor. I think gasoline would just make the seals wear faster than running the engine on alcohol as it was designed for.

Personally, I don't care for the sound of a Wankel, but everybody has their preferences.
Oct 13, 2021, 12:12 PM
AMA 46133
Good luck.

There are things worth doing in reality. Then there are things not worth doing in reality. Of course the bottom line is time and money.
Oct 13, 2021, 12:26 PM
No more wasted spark 😉
Runs on 85 octant gasoline, duel walbros.

New water cooled Hale rotary engine (6 min 31 sec)
Oct 13, 2021, 12:27 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim
One of the biggest shortcomings of the Wankel design is sealing the rotor. I think gasoline would just make the seals wear faster than running the engine on alcohol as it was designed for.

Personally, I don't care for the sound of a Wankel, but everybody has their preferences.
We're going to find out, but if there's one thing I am not worried about, it is "more wear" on a fuel and oil that lubricate WAY better than methanol and whatever oil availlable for glowfuels, including Castor.

I'm a bit worried about the side-sealing (the OS does not have those) and to a point, the temperature, but as said, we'll see...

They do indeed sound a bit weird, not particularly my taste either, but hey, at least it is something completely different than anything else...
Oct 13, 2021, 12:28 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Good luck.

There are things worth doing in reality. Then there are things not worth doing in reality. Of course the bottom line is time and money.
Everything that raises curiosity (or eyebrows) is worth doing, and the time I have, and money is not the issue.
Oct 13, 2021, 12:36 PM
AMA 46133
>>Everything that raises curiosity (or eyebrows) is worth doing, and the time I have, and money is not the issue.<<

Money is always an issue. The value of money may not be an issue. It is the basic economics of human behavior. Money is simply a medium for exchange and a term for a cost that is easily understood. The real cost is what ever undesirable within some one's realm. First of all a Wankel costs money. A Wankel in good shape costs a lot of money. Plus they are rare and finding one is not so easy. The second part is finding parts to make a Wankel run properly.

The conversion may or may not be impossible. How it runs after the conversion is going to be the challenge. A used Wankel may not even run right with methanol fuel. A sparky may make it run better or not at all. That's the risk. Risks are costs, just like money. I don't want to beat my head against the wall trying to explain economics. Do what you want and report your findings here. As I said I sincerely wish you luck and look forward to seeing your results.

Everything that raises an eyebrow is worth doing is only true to your own ego. The practical side of human economics will come into play eventually.
Oct 13, 2021, 12:44 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Everything that raises an eyebrow is worth doing is only true to your own ego.
True... but eyebrows are hopefully not the only thing to be raised...

And lots of things have been achieved with nothing but ego as the motivator. Good things and bad things. It's like mountain climbing or having a 1000 hp streetlegal ride. Why? Because we can...

It will be an adventure, and the outcome has not yet been determined.
Oct 13, 2021, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
The gentleman in the video no doubt enjoyed his efforts.
Oct 13, 2021, 01:45 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
I suspect the ignition might be a challenge. What with the rotor ga-jiggering around at a different rate than the 'crankshaft'. Probably not so simple as just bolting an RCExcel on it. To be fair, Suzuki, Sachs, Mazda, et al seemed to have it figured out.
Oct 13, 2021, 01:47 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma_581
I suspect the ignition might be a challenge. What with the rotor ga-jiggering around at a different rate than the 'crankshaft'. Probably not so simple as just bolting an RCExcel on it. To be fair, Suzuki, Sachs, Mazda, et al seemed to have it figured out.
Nope... it simply requires a spark every revolution at the same crank angle. That part is pretty simple, actually. I fear getting a sparkplug to fit will be the bigger challenge...
Oct 13, 2021, 01:50 PM
AMA 46133
>>True... but eyebrows are hopefully not the only thing to be raised...<<

Hehehehehe......to each his own.....

>>And lots of things have been achieved with nothing but ego as the motivator. Good things and bad things. It's like mountain climbing or having a 1000 hp streetlegal ride. Why? Because we can... <<

That is true. All depends on how much money we have. Hopefully the good things outweighs the bad. Then again good or bad really depends on perspectives.

>>It will be an adventure, and the outcome has not yet been determined.<<

That's right. That's the risks/costs. If you can afford the risks and enjoy doing it.......go for it!

Quick Reply