What the Heck Wednesday - Giant Scale Extra Destroyed

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video by Youtuber Aviation CZ with this crash footage from the CMELAK Model Show

Splash

That's One Way to Do It!

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video by Youtuber Aviation CZ with this crash footage from the CMELAK Model Show. It appears to be a demonstration flight and the pilot starts out by showcasing some great aerobatics. At about 3 minutes into the video, it shows the plane hovering and the smoke system really shines here. It's obviously a very capable pilot. To get out of the hover the pilot goes full throttle and pushes forward to level flight. The plane quickly rolls to inverted and then wrong elevator input is applied to send the plane straight into the ground at high speed. Unless there was some unknown mechanical or electronics problem, the cause would seem to be what we call a "dumb thumb" where the pilot gives the wrong input and causes a crash.

Have you ever had a dumb thumb moment? Let's hear your story. No shame here, even very experienced pilots can make a mistake or lose concentration.

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Oct 13, 2021, 09:19 AM
I agree that the pilot just choked after flying into the sun and then he tried to recover from inverted flight with the wrong control inputs. I did this once with my v900 but my plane was going much faster when it crashed.
Oct 13, 2021, 11:30 AM
A man with too many toys
Pilot error too close to the ground. I had a Ultimate bipe that I crashed the same way.

Oct 13, 2021, 01:03 PM
Modeling Retread
I have five decades of dumb thumb experience. While I've had my share of equipment failure, most of my crashes came from pushing my luck - my primary form of exercise.
Latest blog entry: Goodyear Blimp at Oshkosh
Oct 13, 2021, 02:29 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
I have five decades of dumb thumb experience. While I've had my share of equipment failure, most of my crashes came from pushing my luck - my primary form of exercise.
My experience is very similar. I am a late learner!.....................

It is always a shock to see such a nice craft destroyed.
Oct 13, 2021, 07:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
What ever the reason, it is definitely a shame to see such a beautiful plane destroyed like that.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Oct 13, 2021, 09:02 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
What ever the reason, it is definitely a shame to see such a beautiful plane destroyed like that.

SteveT.
Pilot error 100%.....

It happens to all of us at some point. Sometimes we get lucky and sometimes it costs us an airframe. He "zigged" when he should have "zagged!" 😆
Oct 14, 2021, 12:50 AM
When inverted, up elevator is expensive.
Oct 14, 2021, 10:40 AM
That's unfortunate. That was a very nice plane. This hobby can get expensive quick!
Oct 14, 2021, 10:45 PM
That is unfortunate and I feel bad for his loss. But I am trying to see exactly what went wrong. When he pulled it level, it looks like the ailerons are flat as well as the rudder. The only thing that I thought of that might have caused the roll was excessive throttle increase without right rudder input, but it rolled right. It is hard to see in the video...maybe too much right rudder. It would still be interesting to get a better understanding of what specifically went wrong!
Oct 14, 2021, 11:20 PM
I love seeing big expensive crashes
Oct 15, 2021, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron
That is unfortunate and I feel bad for his loss. But I am trying to see exactly what went wrong. When he pulled it level, it looks like the ailerons are flat as well as the rudder. The only thing that I thought of that might have caused the roll was excessive throttle increase without right rudder input, but it rolled right. It is hard to see in the video...maybe too much right rudder. It would still be interesting to get a better understanding of what specifically went wrong!
If you watch the slow motion, you can see the ailerons deflect before or as the plane rolls.
Oct 15, 2021, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757
If you watch the slow motion, you can see the ailerons deflect before or as the plane rolls.
Before or as? If "before," that explains the roll, but if "as," what initiated the roll?
Oct 16, 2021, 02:54 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
He pulled up instead of pushing fwd and proximity to ground caused the crash. Been there done that, fortunately just in a cheap foamy!

Quick Reply