Oct 13, 2021, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Balsa glow trainers

Are there no arfs available anymore? Got a student that wants to learn on glow. But other than the LT-40, cant find anything for him. Found an old used nexstar for him to get started, but I'm seeing only a high priced LT-40.
Edwin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2021, 04:06 PM
Find a swap meet and you'll have dozens of old nitro trainers to choose from, dirt cheap, almost give away prices. Or, you can go the route I'm going and build one from a kit! I haven't built a balsa kit in probably 30 years, doing it for the experience and to introduce my 5 year old son to that part of the hobby. Bought a Sig Kadet on here recently, going to be a winter project. Will see if I still remember how to monokote.
Oct 13, 2021, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
I have 10 old beat up, raggedy, and crash damaged trainers in the loft in my barn. Im looking for something off the shelf I can point my students to when they want to start training. I dont have the time or funds to fix trainers for students. Im about at the point to tell the glow students they need to learn electric, then switch afterwards to wet power. I have 13 students in line to start training in a couple of weeks.
Edwin
Oct 13, 2021, 06:00 PM
A man with a plan
That would be a shame to have somebody tell an engine enthusiast to learn with an electric airplane.

I have a short kit for the old Tower Trainer 40. Maybe a guy who likes glow engines would also like to build the plane himself.

Come to think of it, when I used to teach people to fly, it would never have occurred to me to volunteer to fix a new guy's plane just to keep him in the game. I've been hired to fix other people's planes, but it's always been assumed that its their responsibility, not mine.
Oct 13, 2021, 06:12 PM
A man with a plan
Now that I'm on the subject, what size do your friends want to build? I don't want to engage in shameless self promotion on a discussion forum, but I may have what you're looking for.

In addition to the Tower Trainer 40 I have the Q-Tee, RCM Trainer 5, Eagle 25H, Whizard, ET-20, Freedom 20, RCM Basic Trainer, RCM 1/2A Basic Trainer, Headmaster, Schoolmaster II, PT-20, PT-40, Goldberg Eaglet, Goldberg Eagle 2, Aerostar 20, and Aerostar 40.

These are all classic balsa/glow trainers, and are pretty easy to build.
Oct 13, 2021, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
I agree. Im a gear head and fly giant scale warbirds and golden age, gas. When a glow power guy wants to learn, they want to start pretty quick. Building a kit isn't the way they want to go. Years back, I gave a kit to a guy, he never came back. I offered to answer any questions he was gonna have. About 8 years ago a guy shows up with a kit built trainer (he built it), the plane was a disaster. It had a twist in the wing. Im a believer of learn to fly first, then build. A student learns the reasoning behind airframe alignment, linkage geometry, and aerodynamics.

Im currently working with a high school junior that soloed electric earlier this year. I gave him a partially built telemaster and he is putting a gas engine in it. We work on it every Saturday in my shop. He is learning everything. This kid is a sponge when it comes learning.

Warms my heart.

Of the 13 students about to start training this fall, there are 3 father son teams, one junior, the rest are adults. The junior is the kid that wants to learn on glow. He just bought a used trainer from one of my past students. Learning to fly interest seems to be big in Central Texas.
Edwin
Oct 13, 2021, 08:11 PM
A man with a plan
Nowadays people think if they tell a guy to build a plane first, they'll "lose" him. When I wanted to learn in 1985, when I was 17, nobody offered to build me a plane, sell me a plane, or help me find an already built plane. I just had to build a plane. I got kit recommendations, but that's about it. Things were really different back then, I guess. I don't think it was a bad thing.

That's why I started my website. I figure some people want to learn to build planes, so I started writing articles about how to build planes. I think it's great that you're teaching your 13 year old friend. A lot of what he learns will be useful in other endeavors.

Getting back to your original question, it looks like all the balsa/glow trainers have disappeared. There used to be an ebay seller offering a 25 size classic balsa/glow ARF trainer, but I don't see his ad any more.
Oct 14, 2021, 09:40 PM
Maybe this will work for you. At least the price is right. But they won't be in stock again until december. I am all in with balsaworkbench about building a plane. I built and learned to fly on a Little Stick from Midwest. Not really even a trainer but it worked for me. That was way back in 1978. I built it and covered it with no help from anyone. I did have experience with building control line models.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product.../PMMA1125.html
Oct 16, 2021, 12:33 AM
Seagull Boomerang II. Absolutely brilliant plane, very docile to learn on but up the rates and it can take you all the way to covering off a good deal of aerobatics.

A couple of the 3D pilots have on in my club and they said they’ll never get rid of theirs - they enjoy throwing it around still. All the instructors who taught me on mine said how well it behaved too. It’s a keeper for me as well.
Oct 16, 2021, 08:55 PM
The Seagull looks good. Kind of pricey for a trainer. Maybe look on Craigs List for someone selling their trainer plane.

https://www.rcmodelaircraft.com.au/r....40-by-seagull
Oct 16, 2021, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
Thats what we've been doing for several years. Finding used trainers and selling them cheap to newbies. The majority of students are electric. Occasionally I get someone that wants to learn on glow. Sometimes we get an old trainer plagued with problems and we spend more time with ground repairs just patching it together enough to get a few more flights out of it.

When I get time, I completely strip down, repair, and refurbish a few airframes to new condition so we dont waste so much time on field repairs.

This is the reason I'm looking for a source for some new arf trainers.
Edwin
Oct 17, 2021, 11:48 PM
Yeah I got mine second hand. Flew again yesterday- been getting an attack of low confidence recently (I've been solo since June) but decided I am not going to get over that by not flying.

Down the field on my own, 15-20kph cross wind and the Boomerang was just brilliant. Behaved perfectly and I really enjoyed it for the first time for a while.

Later on my old instructor turned up and had a fly with her and was doing the most beautifully controlled loops, rolls, stall turns, 4 point rolls - you name it. He said 'I really like this plane...'

And that's the thing, yes it's not the cheapest but it is solid, takes the abuse of being a gust model well but the is the only plane you'll need for ages after you've learned.

I've done what every beginner does - got passed put solo and quickly bought a low wing but having got that out my system I'm going to just fly the Boomerang until I'm bored of the sight of her in the sky then go back onto my other stuff
Oct 18, 2021, 05:40 AM
Thread OP
Sounds like you had a good instructor. Now do a 1000 touch and go's. The only way to get good at landing is to practice. Don't worry, it will all come in due time and THEN you can get the planes that are your passion. I meet with a 13 year old yesterday that seems to know all the WW2 airplanes. I know which direction he'll be going after solo.

Practice creates good judgment. The three things I constantly tell my students is watch your speed, altitude, and position. All that matters in landing approaches.
Edwin
Oct 18, 2021, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1
Sounds like you had a good instructor. Now do a 1000 touch and go's. The only way to get good at landing is to practice. Don't worry, it will all come in due time and THEN you can get the planes that are your passion. I meet with a 13 year old yesterday that seems to know all the WW2 airplanes. I know which direction he'll be going after solo.

Practice creates good judgment. The three things I constantly tell my students is watch your speed, altitude, and position. All that matters in landing approaches.
Edwin
I have already started collecting the planes I am interested in - in fact I think I have everything I want for now and for a good few years. But, apart from a couple of decent starter low-wing ones (Spacewalker and Acrowot) none will be flown.

Yeah my instructor is a top bloke and has helped me enormously over the last few months. Yesterday was good as it was practising landing in a crosswind which went pretty well. But as you say I need to do another thousand or so to really get it nailed.

See so many people fly nice planes but they are scared of landing as they don't put the practise in on the basics. I am determined not to do that
Nov 05, 2021, 03:09 PM
Here you go:

https://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/434.htm

Can easily be built and covered in a weekend, tough as nails, easy to fly and best of all easy to repair if the worst happens. I’ve built more than a few over the years for friends wanting to learn.

Quick Reply