Oct 12, 2021, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Source for Tooling dough and other materials

Does anyone have a good source for tooling dough like Kevin Matney was using in his mold making thread? Fibreglast.com had the 4108 listed in an older thread but I can't locate it on the website. I'm also looking for a high temp tooling coat additive like graphite powder since the aluminum is either too expensive or no longer available. I found a reference to a 350 degree tooling coat with carbon or graphite additive but didn't bookmark it and now can't find it. Any sources would be really appreciated especially if their prices are decent.
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2021, 08:27 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Try Smooth-On and possibly Alumalite. I know both have epoxy dough products, but don't know exactly what you're looking for.
Oct 13, 2021, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
In Kevin's tutorial he was using a Fibreglast product that looked a lot like play dough . It is a two part product that when mixed will produce a 1/2 thick tooling dough to replace the many layers of glass and resin. The graphite product was applied to the waxed part to be reproduced and could withstand heat. This is all relatively new to me as I'm used to working with Hydrocal to make my tooling.
Oct 13, 2021, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
I forgot to ask if you had any links to the sites that you referred me to?
Oct 13, 2021, 12:21 PM
Here's what I use for molds

Max EMC epoxy clay
Oct 20, 2021, 04:47 PM
composites envisions has it

Quick Reply