Oct 12, 2021, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Gluing Plexi Canopy to Canopy Frame: How to not make a mess

I'm reaching out to those who've gone before me.....I am restoring an sailplane and have a new plexi canopy to attach to the frame. What steps have you used to get great results, and not screw up the plexi and get canopy glue everywhere, and get a good, even bond with excellent results?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2021, 06:32 PM
Zap Goo is the stuff, it just works.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Oct 14, 2021, 07:46 PM
Dry fit the parts together and when satisfied with fitment tape them tightly together. Put 'tape' on canopy to the edge of the framing. Put tape on inside of canopy, too, when ready for gluing. Disassemble parts then put glue on exposed canopy where frame was fitted. Re-assemble and tape, clamp, hold or whatever works, the parts together. Wipe away 'squeeze out' glue. I use vinyl masking tape as my edge tape and yellow, blue or green masking tape everywhere else to ward off glue gobs. I have used RC56, polyester resin, Goo and epoxy as my 'glue'.
Oct 15, 2021, 05:24 AM
Last canopy I used E6000 (goop but thinner) and I still thinned it even more with xylene. I would check your plastic to see if it has any problems with xylene first. The 3m yellow masking tape works well for masking.

Less risk of glue running than rc56 which also works but I try to leave that sit around a few days before handling.
Latest blog entry: Is-4 Jastrzab Build
Oct 15, 2021, 09:32 AM
I always apply mold release on the fuselage area around the canopy opening, any excess glue can be peeled off later. And I use blue painters tape to hold the clear.
Last edited by s2000; Oct 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM.
Oct 15, 2021, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the great replies, very helpful!

Quick Reply