Oct 12, 2021, 03:41 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Discussion

NAR Annual Dues Increased

Was $62/year, now $70. And with first-class shipping for the "Sport Rocketry" magazine's an EXTRA $17.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Oct 14, 2021 at 09:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2021, 10:44 AM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Try to negotiate a price without the magazine. If they won't then drop the membership. Eventually they will negotiate a price without the magazine. I have done this before with other organizations.

First year ... lower the price by $30 or I leave, they won't lower, I leave.
Second year ... I left last year, you did not think I would, lower the price by $30 or I stay gone.

Usually on that second year they lower the price. If not then I on the third year they get the same proposition.

They need you worse than you need them, always remember that.
Oct 18, 2021, 08:00 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks, Lufo. We'll see what happens.
Oct 18, 2021, 09:14 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
Try to negotiate a price without the magazine. If they won't then drop the membership. Eventually they will negotiate a price without the magazine. I have done this before with other organizations.

First year ... lower the price by $30 or I leave, they won't lower, I leave.
Second year ... I left last year, you did not think I would, lower the price by $30 or I stay gone.

Usually on that second year they lower the price. If not then I on the third year they get the same proposition.

They need you worse than you need them, always remember that.
Thanks. I wish someone told me this back when I left a plastic-modeling clique that DIDN'T work out for me. You'll just have to BELIEVE me on that one. I can't elaborate because this is a family-friendly website.
Oct 18, 2021, 09:58 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
There have been a time or two in the past I have had problems with clubs or professional organizations. The organizations forget they exist only because of the members.

What I usually do on that second year, or the first year if they reduce the price, I will shoot them an offer of something like $35 a year and I extend my membership for the next 3 years. This usually excites them because these organizations generally want a guaranteed membership. It also keeps me from needing to negotiate on a yearly basis. Of course I could die after the first year but the money for the next two years would not matter to me at that point.

I used to do this with Comcast, negotiate the price. Everyone else would be paying $70 a month and I was paying $40 a month. Comcast, at one time, and probably still does, had phone CSR that are trained to handle people like me. One CSR told me that I was on a list of 'negotiators' and my calls automatically routed to her group.
Oct 18, 2021, 11:49 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Sounds like you're PRETTY smart on how to negotiate a deal. Let's just say there's A LOT MORE going on between those "winners" than plastic-modeling. It might be the hobby that lead them to visit for the first/second/third/fourth time. I'm a little 50/50 as to why they joined, but I KNOW it's NOT the hobby that keeps them renewing YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR, since 1968.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Oct 19, 2021 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply