Oct 12, 2021, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RC IC engines going away?

Since California just banned small gas engines like lawnmowers, weed blowers and chainsaws how is that going to affect RC gas and fuel engines? Can't help but be concerned that our engines will be included in that ban.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2021, 08:22 AM
They were going away anyway, no Californian EPA laws needed for that.

But with a little bit of luck, these things being "hobby" and relative to weedwhackers and chainsaws WAY lower in numbers as well as operating hours, maybe they will be exempt?

I mean, I think the real car lover can still drive a Model T-Ford in Cali, no? Such cars being a hobby and all?
Oct 12, 2021, 09:57 AM
Why California so bad?
Last edited by hsukaria; Oct 14, 2021 at 12:43 AM.
Oct 12, 2021, 10:09 AM
Not going to, but... please know that that is a reportable post...
Oct 12, 2021, 10:48 AM
No more wasted spark 😉
That guy is such a "nuisance" But no worries, there will always be the black market,

Just yesterday I saw a guy getting cited for mowing his lawn with a briggs & stratton, 30 days to comply with the new regulations and seizure of his lawn mower, they even had him in hand cuffs.
Oct 12, 2021, 11:58 AM
So they handcuffed him 30 days before the law becomes active? What does that tell you about California?
Oct 12, 2021, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsukaria
So they handcuffed him 30 days before the law becomes active? What does that tell you about California?
Nothing... It tells me that you missed the emoji, because that law comes into effect somewhere in 2024...

What is more: the law bans sale, but not use. so anybody getting handcuffed for using a gas powered mower, will even then not be something very likely to happen...
Oct 12, 2021, 12:32 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill
Since California just banned small gas engines like lawnmowers, weed blowers and chainsaws how is that going to affect RC gas and fuel engines? Can't help but be concerned that our engines will be included in that ban.
I thought that was only for 2-stroke engines. I think that's why companies like Saito is making a wider variety of RC 4-stroke gasoline engines.

If they ban gasoline for small engines you can always run methanol based fuel in a spark ignition engine.

Oct 12, 2021, 12:39 PM
A man with too many toys
Exactly what does the law say. Is that for new gasoline engines? Will it be legal to sell used small gasoline engines?

Is far as IC goes just looks at Japan. Their solution for long haul power is hydrogen. They already have a good infrastructure for road side service. California should look into that solution as it's proven technology. You can use it in a IC engine or fuel cell engine.

Oct 12, 2021, 01:07 PM
They didn't ban the engines. They banned the sale of new ones.
There will be a lot of trips across the border soon. Same as in dry counties.
Oct 12, 2021, 01:23 PM
It is probably a lot lie two stroke lawn mowers, which I still mow with because the stars just happened to align for it. It was the last two stroke mower that Lowes sold locally and my mother in law got a big discount because her grandson was working there.

We inherited the mower that had low time on it. Since then, I've replaced two ignitions bought on Ebay and kept it running. It is likely one one of only a few two stroke mowers still cutting grass. The sales of course were banned something like 25 yrs ago.
Oct 12, 2021, 01:46 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill
That's just dumb. Total knee jerk reaction from the politicians. They think that if there is a problem they can just ban it and the problem goes away.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/11/calif...-road-engines/

People will continue to use their gas powered lawn mower. Pretty soon they will ban the sale of rechargeable batteries also.
Oct 12, 2021, 03:29 PM
If we really want to mitigate the negative impact of lawn equipment, we need to stop landscaping everything around our homes and businesses. If you compare the amount of yardwork other countries do compared to here in the USA, you can see how much energy and resources we spend on this frivolous endeavor.
As a modeler, spending time and money on model planes is better than landscaping. But I might be a little biased.
Oct 12, 2021, 03:51 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsukaria
If we really want to mitigate the negative impact of lawn equipment, we need to stop landscaping everything around our homes and businesses. If you compare the amount of yardwork other countries do compared to here in the USA, you can see how much energy and resources we spend on this frivolous endeavor.
As a modeler, spending time and money on model planes is better than landscaping. But I might be a little biased.
Unfortunately I agree with you but I am also a little bias. I love to spend time and money on my model airplanes BUT we have a very small club and our flying field is in the middle of nowhere with big tall trees all around and a lot of grass and weeds. I am the main person to deal with all the landscaping. I wish otherwise but the members in the club are older than me or they don't have time and they don't bother. So I cut the grass at least once a week dodging between rain drops. I have to poison the weed, do weed whacking around the edge of the runway. Plus I have to cut the trees with a chainsaw. So I use all those wet fuel power tools that California is banning.

Unfortunately electric pools just don't have the power and the duration to deal with the amount of vegetations we have. I don't know about these politicians that live in their concrete jungle and never had to face a damn tree in their lives trying to ban these tools.

My question is how environmentally friendly are these rechargeable batteries for their power tools. Just because the batteries are made in some poor countries so lets have them pollute their environment instead of California.

It is the same crap over and over again. We want the benefit but not the cost. Just don't pollute our backyard but it is ok to pollute the rest of the world.
Oct 12, 2021, 03:58 PM
A man with too many toys
Does anyone have a link to the actual text if the California law?

Quick Reply