Oct 15, 2021, 11:59 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabuta
WingHelper has a version for OSX. I use the windows version and it works well. https://www.winghelper.com/default/
Thank you. I book marked the site and I will check it out.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2021, 08:01 AM
who has rabbit ears down
I'm just returning now with the new M1 Mac myself. before my Mini Mac died last July,
The TurboCAD Mac forum was my daily opener, and last I saw, was that the new (untested by beta testers) is compatible with the new Big Sur system. I'm setting RCG for my opener now!
Johnny
Latest blog entry: Only Jim and Jason can!
Oct 18, 2021, 11:59 AM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly
I'm just returning now with the new M1 Mac myself. before my Mini Mac died last July,
The TurboCAD Mac forum was my daily opener, and last I saw, was that the new (untested by beta testers) is compatible with the new Big Sur system. I'm setting RCG for my opener now!
Johnny
I had a copy of Turbo CAD for Mac a long time ago. During that time my friend recommended another software to me called ViaCAD. It is a lite version of a software he is using called "Shark". Shark was something like $3,500 and ViaCAD was $100 at the time so I bought it. I learned CAD on ViaCAD. Then one day I opened Turbo CAD and both software looked identical. I think they are somehow related.

I am using ViaCAD V12 Pro 3D on my M1 MiniMac running on Big Sur.
Oct 18, 2021, 09:18 PM
who has rabbit ears down
You Sir SeismicCWave : are a very wise man!
Tim Olson is the man responsible for all good things Mac! Let tell you of the TCM? P files.
I think it was 2005 when i buckled under the pressure and bought my first Mac I found Turbo CAD Mac in a movie store for 200$ ( Version 2) I then was a machinist, so with the CAD guys, learned my way around with their explanations and guide books.
I Posted my first video on You Tube (I can't access my account yet). which was a prop mold which i wanted to do for myself for s complex self taught thing, and was pursued by Dave Taylor at IMSI for a tutorialist.
( IMSI is the parent of TurboCAD ) the windows machine, and Mac is a resale item.
We began the Version 5 which was (is) a different engine.
When Version 7 came around, the engine returned to the original start with the Solidworks engine.
Tim Olson came aboard via Dave Taylor, with the Power Pack Package and the "new math" ( I'm brain locked for the word)
Tim Olson is the PowerPack and now, Shark and ViaCAD' s Daddy!
Before V11 was finished, there were changes at IMSI, but I think Bob Mayer is still there.
There is zero support for the beta testers, and of course, I'm locked out there too!
( from V5-10, we all got "paid" by testing the program. I think the way the solid works would do the elliptical wings is one of the factors driving Tim O.!
3 Beta testers from Mac have moved to Shark/ ViaCAD ( Power Pack enabled)
more later!
Oct 18, 2021, 11:17 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
You Sir SeismicCWave : are a very wise man!
Tim Olson is the man responsible for all good things Mac! Let tell you of the TCM? P files.
I think it was 2005 when i buckled under the pressure and bought my first Mac I found Turbo CAD Mac in a movie store for 200$ ( Version 2) I then was a machinist, so with the CAD guys, learned my way around with their explanations and guide books.
I Posted my first video on You Tube (I can't access my account yet). which was a prop mold which i wanted to do for myself for s complex self taught thing, and was pursued by Dave Taylor at IMSI for a tutorialist.
( IMSI is the parent of TurboCAD ) the windows machine, and Mac is a resale item.
We began the Version 5 which was (is) a different engine.
When Version 7 came around, the engine returned to the original start with the Solidworks engine.
Tim Olson came aboard via Dave Taylor, with the Power Pack Package and the "new math" ( I'm brain locked for the word)
Tim Olson is the PowerPack and now, Shark and ViaCAD' s Daddy!
Before V11 was finished, there were changes at IMSI, but I think Bob Mayer is still there.
There is zero support for the beta testers, and of course, I'm locked out there too!
( from V5-10, we all got "paid" by testing the program. I think the way the solid works would do the elliptical wings is one of the factors driving Tim O.!
3 Beta testers from Mac have moved to Shark/ ViaCAD ( Power Pack enabled)
more later!
Thanks for clearing up some of the history. I started using CAD (probably back in the mid 80's) when I had a PC clone running on DOS with a 10 MB hard drive and AutoCAD 1.0 or something early on a monochrome monitor. I had to draw on paper first and then translate the points to the computer. It was so difficult I lost interest. Over the years I kept on trying different CAD programs but none really got me to the next step. Then I migrated to Mac. If my memory served me right I think I had a DOS or Windows version of TurboCAD and when I went with Mac I also bought the Mac version. It was not very expensive but it was still pretty hard to use.

Then I ask my aeronautical engineering friend that convinced me to change over to the Mac about what he used for CAD. He was using Shark and told me about the lite version ViaCAD. I tried it and the "snap to" function on ViaCAD made drawing totally easier for me and my CAD skill improved. I was also keeping up with the Mac version of TurboCAD and during one of the upgrade the interface changed and it then resembled ViaCAD exactly. For a while I had both copies of the Mac based TurboCAD and ViaCAD on my computer. I tended to use ViaCAD more because I could send the files to my friend and he could help me with his Shark. So I kept upgrading my ViaCAD until V12 Pro recently.

I like ViaCAD but my skills are not the greatest. I still have lots of problem with making complex solids but I am learning slowly.
Oct 19, 2021, 07:05 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Quadratic Meshing:
That is the "new word" I think Tim has something to do with it- I remember a hat with the short equation for it!.
I'm jealous of ya CWave! I was thinking quite hard of doing the M1 Mini Mac- 2T's of SSD, and as I'm understanding things, the availability of Plugging into solids = External hard drives etc!
Ashlar Vellum was the Parent of the Version 5 and 6
When i get my files enabled to Load, I will set you up with vids!
Oct 19, 2021, 09:09 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
>>Quadratic Meshing:
That is the "new word" I think Tim has something to do with it- I remember a hat with the short equation for it!.<<

Interesting word.

>> I was thinking quite hard of doing the M1 Mini Mac- 2T's of SSD, and as I'm understanding things, the availability of Plugging into solids = External hard drives etc!<<

Exact what I bought after my 27" iMac with Retina display suffered a dead display. My second iMac that suffered a dead display. I swore off an integrated computer.

Some minor issues with the new Mac mini M1. I am not sure if it has to do with the M1 or other hardware issue but there seem to be some USB ports compatibility issues with the new computer. For one the USB-C video port is not compatible with the monitor (LG) I bought. I had to use the HDMI. Also the new computer does no like some of my external SSD hard drives.

>>Ashlar Vellum was the Parent of the Version 5 and 6<<

That's the software my aeronautic engineer friend was using before Shark.
Oct 20, 2021, 01:37 AM
who has rabbit ears down
I should have taken a picture of when my Emac screen was dying off- I had an extra monitor where no space was had!
This whole new 4th generation USB is weird on these old eyes!
I got pretty dizzy looking through the site for attachables !
Oct 20, 2021, 12:36 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
I should have taken a picture of when my Emac screen was dying off- I had an extra monitor where no space was had!
This whole new 4th generation USB is weird on these old eyes!
I got pretty dizzy looking through the site for attachables !
Same here. Apple keeps on changing their port types and I cannot keep up. Their "Thunderbolt" ports confuse the heck out of me.
Oct 22, 2021, 02:44 AM
who has rabbit ears down
I have 1 thunderbolt to the X hard drive, and I think I need 2 modding plugs! saw blades never caused these hassles!
Oct 22, 2021, 02:46 PM
AMA 46133
Thread OP
Quote:
I have 1 thunderbolt to the X hard drive, and I think I need 2 modding plugs! saw blades never caused these hassles!
The M1 machines don't have provision for the old Thunderbolt (2?) connection. I have a few external hard drives with those older plugs and I need to find some sort of adapter to get the connectors to fit those USB-C or apple called it thunderbolt 3. They sure made it hard for us users.

Quick Reply