Oct 15, 2021, 07:06 PM
jofro
[QUOTE=Rudi;47993101]@jofro: Thank you very much for your hint. I will try enter another setting (also very low) to the simonk 15A controller which I use in the Concorde.

Rudi, sorry, I got no experience with 'Simonk15A' ones, but even number of 20 A ones I was hooking up and test running, couldn't handle the fan unit properly.
In my Twin set up I'm actually using the "YEP18A" ones running off one battery, not the most efficient way but not enough space in the model for a twin batt. pack.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2021, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=jofro;47997225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi
@jofro: Thank you very much for your hint. I will try enter another setting (also very low) to the simonk 15A controller which I use in the Concorde.

Rudi, sorry, I got no experience with 'Simonk15A' ones, but even number of 20 A ones I was hooking up and test running, couldn't handle the fan unit properly.
In my Twin set up I'm actually using the "YEP18A" ones running off one battery, not the most efficient way but not enough space in the model for a twin batt. pack.
it doesn't matter because if the timing change will not be successful I will remove the EDFs any way and replace them with two pusher motors. In the moment I am struggling a little bit with the manual of the simonk controller. The "english" translation of the chinese text is for a german speaking guy a little bit challenging

cheers

Rudi
Oct 21, 2021, 12:41 AM
Unfortunately the tests with different timings and new Lipo's up to 40C delivered also not the expected results The only thing I mentioned was a stutter of the motors at low and high timing. I tested it also in my DC-9 with two QX-30 7000' , not more than 7 A per EDF. In such a model it is more than enough to fly but in a Delta Model like the Concorde it is not enough. My conclusion, be happy if you a lucky owner of a QX-30 EDf 7000' which reaches the promised power.
BTW. I also increased the throttle way on the TX to 140% in each direction without any change

Rudi
Last edited by Rudi; Oct 21, 2021 at 03:57 AM.
Oct 21, 2021, 03:13 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
too busy to read the entire thread, but...

did you try any other esc?
Oct 22, 2021, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
too busy to read the entire thread, but...

did you try any other esc?
Hi,

yes in my DC-9 are different controllers from HK (20 Amp) and no change only 13.8 Amps for both EDFs (wired parallel)

best

Rudi
Oct 27, 2021, 07:35 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Unfortunately the tests with different timings and new Lipo's up to 40C delivered also not the expected results The only thing I mentioned was a stutter of the motors at low and high timing. I tested it also in my DC-9 with two QX-30 7000' , not more than 7 A per EDF. In such a model it is more than enough to fly but in a Delta Model like the Concorde it is not enough. My conclusion, be happy if you a lucky owner of a QX-30 EDf 7000' which reaches the promised power.
BTW. I also increased the throttle way on the TX to 140% in each direction without any change

Rudi
I associate brushless motor stuttering with the switching frequency of an ESC, as it relates to the connected motor. Are you able to increase the frequency of your ESCs from a common 8KHz default to higher rates? Such as 16KHz and 32KHz? It might help smooth out the motor across the full throttle range, and even increase the maximum power draw a bit.

This is not the same as changing the timing advance setting, of course.

Good luck!
Oct 27, 2021, 11:32 PM
I don't think there's an issue with his settings. I've ran these 6 of these 7000kv fans in 2 models
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht-video/page8
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eo-added/page8
and the 70W neighborhood is about what you get out of them. That's impressive for a 32m fan, given that an EDF40 with a 12mm BL Hyperion 5800kv inrunner has similar loading and thrust. I have more EDF40 builds than I can count offhand.
Oct 28, 2021, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5
I associate brushless motor stuttering with the switching frequency of an ESC, as it relates to the connected motor. Are you able to increase the frequency of your ESCs from a common 8KHz default to higher rates? Such as 16KHz and 32KHz? It might help smooth out the motor across the full throttle range, and even increase the maximum power draw a bit.

This is not the same as changing the timing advance setting, of course.

Good luck!
Thank you very much Sir ! I read the Simonk manual very carefully and unfortunately I did not found anything about this for the 15A esc.
I also made a test with a power supply unit (12V constant) and only 26A (far away from 50A !)

In the mean time I have accepted that the promised requirements from this small little EDFs are not correct. However a good friend and mentor (GGRN) suggested to cut a air intake in front of the EDFs and to enlarge the outtake. I hope that I can increase the eff. and it will be enough power available for a smooth take off. This will be my last try with this EDFs. If it will not work I have already a plan for a DC-10 for this QX-30

cheers

Rudi
Last edited by Rudi; Oct 28, 2021 at 04:26 AM.
Oct 28, 2021, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
I don't think there's an issue with his settings. I've ran these 6 of these 7000kv fans in 2 models
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht-video/page8
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eo-added/page8
and the 70W neighborhood is about what you get out of them. That's impressive for a 32m fan, given that an EDF40 with a 12mm BL Hyperion 5800kv inrunner has similar loading and thrust. I have more EDF40 builds than I can count offhand.
This small little EDFs are great. My Horten IX or my DC-9 are flying so well unbelievable. This was the reason why I desc. to use it for the Concorde project also. I never thought about to make a power test before I started the project because they are working great in the other models.
I will def. use them it upcoming projects again.

cheers

Rudi
Last edited by Rudi; Oct 28, 2021 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply