Oct 12, 2021, 05:08 PM
Intermediate Multi
You do realize that at all comes back to fossil fuels, no matter how you slice it. You either burn it at the source, or at the power plant. It's actually less efficient to build the batteries, and then convert the fuel to electricity before making it turn something. The more conversions the energy runs through, the more waste occurs along the way.

The only viable alternative: nuclear. Even the tree huggers will come around sooner or later, when they realize they've got no way to recharge their tablets.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2021, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
You do realize that at all comes back to fossil fuels, no matter how you slice it. You either burn it at the source, or at the power plant. It's actually less efficient to build the batteries, and then convert the fuel to electricity before making it turn something. The more conversions the energy runs through, the more waste occurs along the way.

The only viable alternative: nuclear. Even the tree huggers will come around sooner or later, when they realize they've got no way to recharge their tablets.
Or their electric cars.
Oct 13, 2021, 01:07 AM
"The new law applies to any engine that produces less than 25 gross horsepower, including lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, golf carts, specialty vehicles, generators and pumps. It does not apply to on-road motor vehicles, off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, snowmobiles or model airplanes, cars or boats. "
Oct 13, 2021, 01:15 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF
"The new law applies to any engine that produces less than 25 gross horsepower, including lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, golf carts, specialty vehicles, generators and pumps. It does not apply to on-road motor vehicles, off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, snowmobiles or model airplanes, cars or boats. "

The exempted items get their turn in 2028....probably.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Oct 13, 2021, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
I realize that California and New Jersey are in different sides of the country, but with the current turn of events in the country and the way elected officials turn to their best chance for reelections, civil rights of the few are passed over for the many.
The civil rights of the many are passed over for the benefit of the few (the politicians).

That's why people call out governors who invoke mask and travel bans, then party at fancy restaurants or travel to Italy or northern Michigan, or ex-Presidents who host huge birthday parties. And glitteratti who attend award presentations for themselves without masks while telling the plebes that they must make their children wear them despite the science telling them not to.

That's why we call it tyranny.

Andy
Oct 14, 2021, 03:08 PM
Carbon tax

it's comming~

marc
Oct 14, 2021, 03:11 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Addressing climate change in California while MILLIONS of 2 stroke scooters are the main transportation in 3rd world countries. Pretty sure we all share the same atmosphere.

I heard another issue from a "conspiracy theorist" about generators. While it would take time to use up all the current equipment, Are we going to generate emergency power from battery packs?

DH
Last edited by CaptDH; Oct 14, 2021 at 03:50 PM.
Oct 14, 2021, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaintuck
Carbon tax

it's comming~
Yup. You can only buy influence with crappy art so many times.

Andy
Oct 14, 2021, 05:08 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH

I heard another issue from a "conspiracy theorist" about generators. While it would take time to use up all the current equipment, Are we going to generate emergency power from battery packs?

DH
They are going to try... https://ecoflow.com/

A year or two ago, I saw some Yeti "generators" at costco, that were large battery packs set up with inverters.
They could be charged and kept on standby, and came with a small solar array to charge during extended power outages, or if off grid.
Oct 14, 2021, 05:32 PM
The battery powered "generators" are gaining popularity among RV'ers and campers in the last few years. Problem is, they're usually charged off of the engine, or the grid. For low usage, solar power is a very viable option, but without some more breakthroughs, you aren't going to be running heaters and your fridge off of them for a multi-day power outage at your house.
Oct 14, 2021, 05:37 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF
The battery powered "generators" are gaining popularity among RV'ers and campers in the last few years. Problem is, they're usually charged off of the engine, or the grid. For low usage, solar power is a very viable option, but without some more breakthroughs, you aren't going to be running heaters and your fridge off of them for a multi-day power outage at your house.

As one who has camped in a tent near motorhomes with generators running half of the night, I see a big plus here.

But generators keep supplying power as long as you keep them fed. A battery can't do that and will deplete and require a GENERATOR to recharge in the wild. A fuel cell might work more like a generator. A shame fuel cells are so impractical for consumer use ("Honey, where did I put the oxygen and hydrogen bottles?).
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Oct 15, 2021, 11:56 AM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH
Addressing climate change in California while MILLIONS of 2 stroke scooters are the main transportation in 3rd world countries. Pretty sure we all share the same atmosphere........
Exactly. I acknowledge that there's a problem, but until everyone comes on board, what's the point in addressing it? God knows China doesn't care, and they're the biggest emitters.
Oct 15, 2021, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Exactly. I acknowledge that there's a problem, but until everyone comes on board, what's the point in addressing it? God knows China doesn't care, and they're the biggest emitters.
While you're not wrong that everyone needs to participate, if no one does anything, until everyone does something, nothing will ever happen.
Oct 15, 2021, 08:10 PM
AMA 937634
I charge my battery (generator) in my van either by using my solar panels on the roof or by tapping into my 12v accessory port or both.

Most vanlifers use solar to charge their batteries actually. No need for grid power or a separate gas generator to charge up.

-Mike
Oct 15, 2021, 08:58 PM
Solar panels work great, if you're in the sun! I'm from Western WA, solar panels don't work very well there 6 months out of the year.

Quick Reply