Oct 11, 2021, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

California Going Gasless

Will this mean the end of gas and nitro powered r/c boats ,cars ,trucks and airplanes in CA ? https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...rHE?li=BBnb7Kz
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2021, 10:40 AM
Don't think so, as our appears to be aimed specifically at "small off-road engine equipment"...lawn mowers, chain saws, golf carts, etc. RC vehicles (except for drones) are still considered 'toys' by the state, so they should be safe from this law. At the same time, considering the cost of nitro these days, I don't understand why anyone would want to get into, or continue running, nitro vehicles/vessels. Unless you can make your own, that stuff can cost up to $100/gal. ($60/gal is about the cheapest @ 20%).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Oct 11, 2021, 11:55 AM
This is nothing new in the RC model segment for at least the past 15 to 20 years of radio controlled modeling with the ever increasing presence of battery powered craft into modeling.
While there are still venues that allow gas and nitro power models to run and compete, they are becoming fewer and further away from populated areas where they are “out of sight-out of mind”.

With the advent of the ever increasing use of both brushed and brushless motors in both industrial and hobby manufacturing, the advances in both the power of the motors as well as the capacity of the batteries have in most cases overtaken the internal combustion motors in both performance and in the record books.

The hand writing has been on the wall as well as the signs posted at the various parks and lakes, forbidding the use of gas powered model running under city ordinances.

I for one have sold off most all of my gas and nitro powered models and the models that I have kept I will be converting to electric power. The added benefit of electric is lower operating cost and support equipment as well as clean up after running.
Oct 11, 2021, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
This is nothing new in the RC model segment for at least the past 15 to 20 years of radio controlled modeling with the ever increasing presence of battery powered craft into modeling.
While there are still venues that allow gas and nitro power models to run and compete, they are becoming fewer and further away from populated areas where they are “out of sight-out of mind”.

With the advent of the ever increasing use of both brushed and brushless motors in both industrial and hobby manufacturing, the advances in both the power of the motors as well as the capacity of the batteries have in most cases overtaken the internal combustion motors in both performance and in the record books.

The hand writing has been on the wall as well as the signs posted at the various parks and lakes, forbidding the use of gas powered model running under city ordinances.

I for one have sold off most all of my gas and nitro powered models and the models that I have kept I will be converting to electric power. The added benefit of electric is lower operating cost and support equipment as well as clean up after running.
The danger I see is unless models are specifically exempted in the law as written some gung-ho politicians will try to enforce it on their little local ponds.
Oct 11, 2021, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834
Don't think so, as our appears to be aimed specifically at "small off-road engine equipment"...
There's the key.

Andy
Oct 11, 2021, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE
The danger I see is unless models are specifically exempted in the law as written some gung-ho politicians will try to enforce it on their little local ponds.
Let them try. The law is specifically targeting "equipment", not RC. If some 'local politician' yeppers to use this law to "crush" gas/nitro-powered RC, not only will they lose...but, they could find themselves on the losing end of a lawsuit. Now, I'm not saying it would go that far...but, it could. After all, California is a very "sue happy" state (one of the reasons this state has so many attorneys - they know that have the potential to make a lot of money). Even if they tried, it would have no personal effect on me, as I never no gas/nitro RCs, and I have no interest in getting any.

Oct 11, 2021, 09:09 PM
The thin edge of the wedge. Next thing they will demand zero emission guns.
Oct 12, 2021, 08:23 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but this exact thing has already taken place here in New Jersey, where local municipal governments have posted at their lakes and ponds , no running models of any kind, (be they gas, nitro, or electric powered) on the lake.

In the case of nitro or gas powered models, I would have to load up my boats and travel for 45 minutes to find a body of water to run on, which prompted me to sell off most all of my gas and nitro models.

I realize that California and New Jersey are in different sides of the country, but with the current turn of events in the country and the way elected officials turn to their best chance for reelections, civil rights of the few are passed over for the many.
Oct 12, 2021, 10:27 AM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834
.............. appears to be aimed specifically at "small off-road engine equipment"...lawn mowers, chain saws, golf carts, etc.............
So it's aimed at equipment that you don't really need anyway.
Oct 12, 2021, 12:50 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Smith
The thin edge of the wedge. Next thing they will demand zero emission guns.
They are working on it, experimental Gauss Rifle/guns, ArcFlash.

The issue I see for those that will have to change out all their equipment, chain saws, ATVs, etc...
Is that electric may not be giving them the power or range they need. So you are going to
have lumber jacks running electric generators, or their trucks to recharge batteries.
So it will be interesting to see how this all plays out for the industries that are
working out in landscaping, out in the fields, woods, and mountains.

Oct 12, 2021, 12:59 PM
Intermediate Multi
"Two-stroke engines produce a lot of pollution because the fuel-air mixture in them gets contaminated with the engine’s lubricating oils. Simultaneously the combustion chamber draws in the contaminated mixture as exhaust gases are expelled through an exhaust port. Some of the fuel and oil gets mixed with the exhaust."
Oct 12, 2021, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
The issue I see for those that will have to change out all their equipment, chain saws, ATVs, etc...
I don't believe ATVs (or off-road motorcycles, dirt bikes, etc) are included in this law, as they are not classified as "equipment". I also don't think it would affect commercial lumber companies, as they don't really use handheld chainsaws anymore. This law is primarily targeting landscapers, gardeners, and those doing similar work...in other words, those using small handheld gas-powered "tools" - lawn mowers, handheld chainsaws, leaf blowers, etc. Yes, there are a few other items covered (such as gas-powered "golf carts", and similar vehicles), but it's the loud, annoying, & polluting gas-powered "hand tools" that the state wants removed from use.

Oct 12, 2021, 03:20 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
...ban the sale of all off-road, gas-powered engines, including generators, lawn equipment, pressure washers, chainsaws, weed trimmers, and even golf carts.
I was thinking Off Road meant ATV... like golf carts and apparently they can't use generators to recharge batteries.
Oct 12, 2021, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
I was thinking Off Road meant ATV... like golf carts and apparently they can't use generators to recharge batteries.
Understandable. The problem is that laws like this can sometimes be a bit ambiguous. It should be obvious that certain things, such as RC vehicles, are not included in the law...but, other things, such as ATVs & dirt bikes, can be a bit more difficult to figure out. For example, the article mentions 'golf carts', yet it also clearly states 'equipment'. So, does that mean that golf carts are to be considered as "equipment", as opposed to being a 'vehicle'?

Of course, it does need to be pointed out that the article does not contain any actual text of the law, itself, but contains quotes from people speaking about the law. So far, we have all (myself, included) made assumptions as to what is, and isn't, included in this law. To be completely honest, the only way to know, for certain, is to read the text of the actual law, as that is the only way to ascertain, specifically, what is, and isn't covered. Personally, I have not read it, nor am I currently inclined to do so...not because it's not "of interest", but because I am 99.9% certain that it does not have any effect on me. And that, I believe, is all have left to say on this subject matter.

Oct 12, 2021, 04:16 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Ban model engines? It could happen.

Truth is, we need this. Global warming is no long an "if". We simply have to stop spewing poison gasses in our air, regardless of how much fun we have while doing it. Electrics are advancing to the point where there will soon be no reason not too.

I love the sound of a nice engine as much as any mechanical-loving nuthead. But we gotta start somewhere.

Keep in mind that California, with more people and more fuel-powered engines than any other state is the only state granted the right by federal law to limit emissions so. Other states can't set their own unique legal limits but they can follow California's lead.

So we have a responsibility here to set example for the rest of the country, if not the world.

Next time someone wants to complain about the tight smog restrictions here in Calif., keep in mind that we are saving lives by doing so. Hope other states smarten up and do likewise. The time for change has long passed and the terrible after-effects are starting to show, so let's get moving!

'Nuf sed.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel

Quick Reply