Raven Attacks Drone on Video

Most birds tend to stay away from drones and other RC aircraft, but occasionally, you'll see a curious bird swoop in for a closer look and sometimes they go on the attack.

Splash

It's Rare, but birds do attack drones

Most birds tend to stay away from drones and other RC aircraft, but occasionally, you'll see a curious bird swoop in for a closer look and sometimes they go on the attack. This video shows what appears to be a prototype delivery drone trying to descend and deliver some coffee. It's a fixed wing aircraft with a ton of mini drone motors that allow it to hover. As it descends, you can see a Raven fly in and start attacking the tail of the aircraft.

I'm assuming the birds nest was in the tree shown in the video and the Raven was defending its territory. That seems to be the most common trigger, flying close to a nest, so it's something to keep in mind when flying.

Have you ever had a drone or other model aircraft attacked by a bird while flying? I'd love to hear your story about it.

Oct 11, 2021, 02:44 PM
Proud To be A Circle Flier....
Read about it, heard about it but only had a few bird showing 'interest' in my models over the years. Read a long, long time ago in a magazine about eagles in Australia attacking slope soarers and the author swore that to fly a roll was the answer, he claimed that a bird cannot roll and therefore would just be fazed and fly off.

Anyway, Last year I had a problem with pigeons on the roof filling the terrace with you know what to the point that my wifey was well and truly and we all know, happy wife, happy life.

Started as a joke after trying catapults (slingshots), noise makers and various other things and I flew my VTOL XK Fighter X450 up to the balcony where they were roosting and basically scared them off by hovering into the balcony space. Repeated it 2-3 time s and no more pigeons!! Had to fly towards birds in the trees or on the roof 5 - 10 times in the year but no more roosting and SHoneT covered terrace, oh yes, and a happy wife.

Tauben Jagt (1 min 31 sec)

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Oct 12, 2021, 06:11 PM
I don't think nesting has much to do with it, probably a territory thing.

-drone is louder than me so attacked.
Oct 13, 2021, 03:54 AM
Entropy is happening!

Wedge Tailed Eagle Strike.

I have been slope soaring at Mt. Borah NSW Australia for over ten years now.
We have enjoyed flying with some big Wedge Tailed Eagles which on most occasions, just show a bit of harmless interest or totally ignore our planes.
However, they can be aggressive at times; and we have lost planes to them. There are even some harrowing accounts of paraglider attacks, but they are not common.
One day I was flying my P39 Airacobra slope glider with a pair of eagles. I was watching them carefully as one was becoming a bit bold; I was on my own and did not have an observer.
I turned downwind, then on base turn and final approach for a landing, this eagle took my fast little plane head on! I did not even see her coming.
She (I guess it was a female) struck it on a wing tip which spun the glider on it's vertical axis, stopping it's forward momentum totally.
Fortunately, I was then low over terrain on the top; it would have meant a climb down the mountain if she had hit me while I was still flying out the front.
The P39 then fell and luckily missed a toilet building, rocks and a tree to land in semi-hard clay nose first.
While I was walking towards the model, the female eagle's mate started to circle over it and descend. I had to run towards it to scare him off; it appeared as though he was "going in for the kill".
This eagle was as big as any I have ever seen and was magnificent.

The model is repaired and has flown since.

Jim.
Oct 13, 2021, 01:16 PM
soar-ne
I had a Hawk confront my Hubsan 501a this spring. I was at a local park just putting around at about 30-40 meters when a trio of hawks came circling overhead. One got curious I guess and decide to check my quad out, the other two just kept circling northbound with the breeze. Anyway he dropped down to my level and circled around it a few times and even made one lame attack at it. So I dropped down to maybe 30 foot or so and just cruised around the soccer fields. I noticed he landed on a telephone pole and just watched. Finally he flew into the surrounding tree line and I thought he was gone. Suddenly he flew out of the trees and landed in the middle of the area. I then stopped about 50-60 feet from him and turned the drone towards him and just hung at about 20 feet up. Got some good video of him. The standoff lasted about a minute or so and then he took off and flew right at my quad in attack mode. I cut the throttle and dropped almost to the grass but the video shows that he was very close to hitting it. Guess that he decided it wasn't edible and it just flew on off to meet up with his buddies!!! Quite the experience...have had small birds interact with sailplanes in the past, but never a bird of prey like that................Bob M.
Oct 13, 2021, 01:48 PM
Someone should do an experiment quite drone vs very noisy one and see which is attacked.

That commercial uas VTOL looks like it has 12 motors plus the 4 for horizontal flight, very noisy.

Plus I never see silent gliders attacked, only birds joining to soar near it or inspect it then take off.
Oct 13, 2021, 05:35 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary"
Oct 14, 2021, 01:41 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Ive had rc gliders and planes attacked by magpies, sea eagles, wedge tail eagles and even tiny plovers. Here is a plover video from last month:

Plovers attacking Fox 2.3m RC glider (7 min 9 sec)
Nov 01, 2021, 06:51 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
Ive had rc gliders and planes attacked by magpies, sea eagles, wedge tail eagles and even tiny plovers. Here is a plover video from last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnVZk3vZfes
That is some intense footage...but I gotta ask. Why in the heck did you continue flying after seeing that the pair of them obviously not caring for the "invasion" of "their" airspace? No offense, but I would have been heading for the hard deck after the first swoop or two at one of my aircraft. Live to fly another day
Nov 02, 2021, 06:01 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
That is some intense footage...but I gotta ask. Why in the heck did you continue flying after seeing that the pair of them obviously not caring for the "invasion" of "their" airspace? No offense, but I would have been heading for the hard deck after the first swoop or two at one of my aircraft. Live to fly another day
Foam plane with ailerons so unlikely to crash it even if they ripped the rudder off. A few scratches to get some nice footage! They are small birds. I've had planes taken out by 2.5m sea eagles and wedge tail eagles that you do try and avoid...
Nov 04, 2021, 05:55 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
This is fairly common for most model airplanes. Birds are quite fun. If you have the big wing in front aka most of the RC planes you are an "eagle" and gets attacked. If you got the big wing in the rear aka Deltas with canard or so you are a "swan" and not attacked.

Quick Reply