Oct 15, 2021, 05:59 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Aloft does sell their socks. https://alofthobbies.com/covering-iron-sock.html
I use them all the time and have purchased from HK and will add them to my cart from Aloft.

I am real happy with all my purchases from Aloft….always fun to get candy with you order!
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2021, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Holy hell! $7 for a sock!

Even if they were $2, I'd still make my own (even though my sewing skills are lack luster), but for $7 I'll DEFINITELY be making them!

I got to stop by the Aloft "shop" (warehouse) when I lived in CA a few months ago and picked up my slow stick kit. The guy behind the counter (Chris?) was a nice guy. They seem to be good supporters of the hobby.
Oct 15, 2021, 08:31 PM
Hobby King has them cheaper but I like to support US Hobby companies.
Oct 18, 2021, 01:30 PM
21st century s the best ive used....This one works great too... good and cheap for a backup https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steamfast...9?athbdg=L1200
Last edited by RCpilot7974; Oct 18, 2021 at 02:29 PM.
Oct 18, 2021, 01:47 PM
San Antonio TX.
Coverite 21 century irons are the best and are available on Ebay,

Bob
Oct 18, 2021, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
Coverite 21 century irons are the best and are available on Ebay,

Bob
Bob,

Take a look at the link I posted for the iron from Aloft Hobbies. It looks exactly like the old 21st Century/Coverite.
Oct 18, 2021, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Well the first flight with the Cub didn't go so well... a little engine hiccup on takeoff, a 2' nose dive back to earth, and we're straight from bench to ground to bench.

So the iron got to do some work today. It performed flawlessly. Not sure I'm sold on the sock though... I think the sock may be a "bring it out on occasion for certain jobs" type of item.

I ran out of covering, so the rest will have to wait, but it's just a flat panel.

Note that I did have to get out the heat gun, it wasn't all iron work!

A bit of a tough shape for such a beginner like me

It's a damn good thing this stuff shrinks so well

Not perfect, but good enough for a flyer

Last edited by MiteyF; Oct 18, 2021 at 03:16 PM.
Oct 18, 2021, 05:43 PM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
Bob,

Take a look at the link I posted for the iron from Aloft Hobbies. It looks exactly like the old 21st Century/Coverite.

Nice!

Bob

Quick Reply