Nov 24, 2021, 09:52 AM
Hi Mike , It looks like you are trying to up bling mine. Thank you, Gary
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2021, 11:14 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
hahahaha, I actually toned it down a bit after you and my wife said it would have been too gawdy with the .015 Gold flake. But I snuck a few flakes in at the last minute just to give it a bit more sparkle. Remember me telling you about those Hydroplane racing boats from the 60's and 70's that used to race here in lake Dora? There was one that really caught my eye, it really had the really big heavy flake in it, must have been .25. But boy when the sun hit it, the boat literally glowed.
Nov 24, 2021, 11:15 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
one thing for sure once it's finished, it won't be for everyone, only those with a little pizzaz.
Nov 28, 2021, 08:46 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Here are a few updates on the 55. I laid the false plywood decking down as well as the mahogany trim pieces. Now when you decide to modify a boat model as with basically anything, problems will present themselves during construction. One of those problems reared it's ugly head a few days ago. I noticed after glueing down the mahogany decking trim pieces that there was an indentation on both sides where the windshield would go on the sides of the deck. The trim pieces were cut for a 27" model not a 30" model. So I had to scab in some scrap mahogany wood to fill in the dents.
Dec 03, 2021, 06:43 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I have the interior seats all installed along with side panels and flooring.
Dec 07, 2021, 03:28 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I have made a bit of progress on the Cobra, I have started the deck planking. I had to seal the deck trim pieces that I put gold metal flake on to keep the flake off of the mahogany planking. But then a little bit of gold sparkle naver hurt a thing.
Dec 11, 2021, 09:12 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I finished planking the deck., Now it's sand & seal.
Dec 15, 2021, 07:42 AM
How do you sand the curved surfaces without cutting into the paintwork?
Dec 15, 2021, 08:21 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Very carefully. hahahahaha To me, it wasn't so much sanding the wood as it was cutting down the white plastic caulking strips between the planking which protruded a good 2mm higher than the planking. For this I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum with a very light hand.
Dec 19, 2021, 08:16 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Ok, I have the finishing coat of resin on the top deck, that makes three coats, put in the drive shaft skeg, rudder tube and named her Fool's Gold.
Dec 22, 2021, 05:53 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Just a few things left to do on her and she'll be finished.

Quick Reply