Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: How do you take your pictures?
Take hundreds of pictures, and sort out the good ones. 16 43.24%
Know about when the camera is looking at the object. 18 48.65%
Use a down link to frame the shots. 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Crazyrcer

How do you take your pictures?

How do you take your pictures when you have a specific object you are trying to capture?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Rugar
"Fly It Like Ya Stole It"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrcer
How do you take your pictures when you have a specific object you are trying to capture?
With my camera?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by citabria
Under tension
I have better luck when I don't aim. Honestly, I took 50 photos last night trying to get one subject in frame and the best image I got was from my 60 second "calibration" flight that I did to set the exposure before I started my "serious" shooting.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by CptMike
Abundantly deficient.......
I typically try to take around 60 manually triggered (at the target) shots to get 5 or 6 workable. For those of us that shoot 'blind', I would think a 10% 'good' return is common. If I can get that 5 or 6, I work the best 1 or 2 and feel fortunate to get something like this.

http://home.insightbb.com/~rc-ap/CptMike.html

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
I would have to vote 1 and 2, I believe to know when the camera is looking at the object.

My believing is strong, so I voted for 1, but the results say I should have voted for 2.

Erich
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by Randy Due
Am I registered?
I generally know (or at least guess) about when the target is lined up and then flip the switch to activate sports mode long enough to make a pass, then deactivate. I make two or three runs at different altitudes. I've never really checked the percentages, but I would guess that out of 3 runs of 10 photos, maybe 2 or 3 are keepers.

Randy
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by 2bent
I just try to guestimate what the camera sees. If the camera is looking 45* down, then the subject will be centered when the plane is the same distance horizontally from the target as its altitude. I use an all manual shutter (prism) and try to take several pics per pass, each pass flown slightly higher/lower or closer/farther.

Take as many pics as possible each flight, increases the chance of a brilliant shot!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by aragon
I was surprised to see so few votes for downlinks. Why is that?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by Swanlander
I fly with my little eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon
I was surprised to see so few votes for downlinks. Why is that?
Tried it with a friend to help out,

you need: 1 Video camera and tx and batt in a/c
2 Rx aerial on ground (directional so held pointing at a/c)
3 Monitor to watch image. (with shield if sun is strong)
4. Power to run monitor and RX
suddenly its a real logistics exercise and with a ground crew of 2 the process seems to lose the spontenaity and individuality of the creative photo shoot.

Also the helmet aerial makes you look like that gur from honey I shrunk the kids (Rick Moranis?)

If I could run a head up display image to one eye of a pair of glasses, with better range and reception for around 150 ($250) I would be interested.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by Phil R
Just some bloke
I aim to fill a 512Mb card per flight, that's about 275 photos...

I modify a servo so that the output arm rotates continuously - takes a photo every 1 1/2 second or so. Just start the servo going before launch and stop it when I've landed.

A lot of photos get chucked when I get home...

I enjoy the randomness of this approach. Some of my best shots have been of something I wasn't aiming to photograph...