Oct 03, 2021, 11:35 PM
Thread OP
Question

What is right?

Several years I invested in 2 drones. one purpose for the drones was to look for crashed models in the bush, swamp, weeds. its already found 3-4 edf jets the last year, or so. This brings me to my question. at my club its sorrunded on 3 sides by trees, and weeds. Lots of snakes. If I know a club member went down in the bush, he looks for it, but no luck. The next day I bring my drones out, and locate it 500 ft from the runway in a tall tree. I walk out, thinking snake bite.
I reach the tree.. its 60 feet up....Im disabled, so tree climbing, not so good...but say I recover it. I call the owner. after all this effort, Im thinking a reward after all the effort . Maybe $50.00 for a $500.00 model. Question is, is this right. I could call him after locating it,and just show him where its at.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2021, 01:10 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
If I were the owner, I'd tell you to return my property to me and don't touch my stuff again.
Oct 04, 2021, 06:04 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
If we expected a reward for all we do - then we would soon lose friends.

I have used my DJI and mu underwater cameras to find lost items for fellow club guys and friends. Usually I get something in return later ... need a certain size spinner or prop as example ... they give to me ..

Its called Club Camaraderie.

If you have the drones and are offering a finder service - then be up front as 'business' .. otherwise best left alone.

I also sail yachts ......... one club I was in - I offered to pressure wash / clean yacht hulls after lift-out for winter. I agreed price - tiny compared to a marinas price. It was fine for a couple of days - then I started to hear comments ...... I stopped. By then it was too late to do it as a favour. The die had been cast.
Oct 04, 2021, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the response so far...it didn't feel right. That's why I asked.
Oct 04, 2021, 06:27 PM
If you want to find it for a member that is great If you want to retrieve it that is great also. ...but don't expect a reward although you should get one.
Oct 05, 2021, 12:59 PM
Pro Hoarder
A few years back some at our local club lost a a good size plane in the corn field near the flying site..The corn was over 6 feet tall at the time...They couldn't find it after most of a day of searching..I went and jumped in my Cessna 175 flew down to our field..We are near a full size airport(not where my plane is hangared) so I had to get permission to orbit at 500ft agl over our flying site..took about 5 min to find the plane then direct friends on the ground via cell phones...I got a big thanks form the guy for finding his plane...It was a fun adventure..and I was happy
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 05, 2021, 01:36 PM
Nice one 'turbonut' .....

I have to say that having used my DJI to try and find models - its not as easy as we assume. Especially if trees or tall grass / brush.

One guy I know - lost a model - and I had my DJI there ... he reckoned he knew where it went down ... so I sent my P3P out .... nothing.
On the way BACK to land ... it was far nearer us than anyone imagined.

Sometimes - I have not been able to see models ... so we've ended up doing the organised sweep of ground ... and found it ... in an area overflown and viewed ....

Thinking of finding things ......... club guys laughed when I showed a $50 kiddies metal detector ... laughs stopped when I could find those 'ejected' lipos from crashes !!
Oct 13, 2021, 07:50 AM
I certainly wouldn't "ask for a reward". If he wants to buy you a pint it'd be churlish to refuse! Next time it might be your kite up the tree! This hobby often depends on cooperation and good will, be it knowledge, help or time spent looking for someone's lost model. Being known as the guy who asked for or expected a reward will not be conducive to your receiving help when you need it in the future.
Oct 13, 2021, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidd88
I certainly wouldn't "ask for a reward". If he wants to buy you a pint it'd be churlish to refuse! Next time it might be your kite up the tree! This hobby often depends on cooperation and good will, be it knowledge, help or time spent looking for someone's lost model. Being known as the guy who asked for or expected a reward will not be conducive to your receiving help when you need it in the future.
Its called Club Spirit .... or ... Camaraderie.

We help each other and in so doing help ourselves.
Oct 14, 2021, 05:20 AM
It comes down to whether the owner asked you to find it.
If they did you may wish to negotiate a fee before you start but as others have said you won't keep the respect of many friends.
Oct 15, 2021, 01:15 PM
RCG -Minus Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
It comes down to whether the owner asked you to find it.
If they did you may wish to negotiate a fee before you start but as others have said you won't keep the respect of many friends.
This is the way, if you're gonna charge the guy. Which I would strongly recommend against.
Latest blog entry: Nall in the Fall '21
Oct 16, 2021, 05:08 AM
Forgive me for being a 'cynic' ..... but when a question like this gets asked - its likely in the mind of author to actually do it .......

Sorry to be blunt - but I think its the wrong mind-set for flight line camaraderie.
Oct 16, 2021, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Forgive me for being a 'cynic' ..... but when a question like this gets asked - its likely in the mind of author to actually do it .......

Sorry to be blunt - but I think its the wrong mind-set for flight line camaraderie.
Personally I'd op for the street corner "please help" cardboard sign, but to each their own.
Oct 16, 2021, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife

So far I looked for aircraft for free.....so dont try to be a mind reader.
Oct 16, 2021, 08:41 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap
Several years I invested in 2 drones. one purpose for the drones was to look for crashed models in the bush, swamp, weeds. its already found 3-4 edf jets the last year, or so. This brings me to my question. at my club its sorrunded on 3 sides by trees, and weeds. Lots of snakes. If I know a club member went down in the bush, he looks for it, but no luck. The next day I bring my drones out, and locate it 500 ft from the runway in a tall tree. I walk out, thinking snake bite.
I reach the tree.. its 60 feet up....Im disabled, so tree climbing, not so good...but say I recover it. I call the owner. after all this effort, Im thinking a reward after all the effort . Maybe $50.00 for a $500.00 model. Question is, is this right. I could call him after locating it,and just show him where its at.
Honestly, you are owed nothing. On the other hand, it would be nice for him to offer you a meal, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
If I were the owner, I'd tell you to return my property to me and don't touch my stuff again.

I use to skydive, some years ago. Sometimes on a malfunction you cut away the main and ride the reserve down. Hopefully. Problem is the main almost always drifts onto someone else property.

We had a local property owner that refused to give back the main to a guy that had a cut away, the canopy was worth around $1500 as I recall. He wanted a reward and said since it was on his property he owned it. The guy that owned the canopy called the Sheriff's Department and explained what happened. Deputy comes out and homeowner fesses up to having the canopy. Deputy explains that the canopy has the owners name on it, and just because he found it does not mean he owns the canopy. Advises the land owner to return the canopy or he would be charged with possession of private property ( or something similar ) that did not belong to him.

Friend got his canopy back without paying any money to the land owner and, what is absolutely funny is he was willing to pay this guy $100 for finding the canopy. We never paid anyone less than $100 for a found canopy. The guy held the canopy for ransom and that pissed off my buddy so he called the sheriff.

Quick Reply