Jul 28, 2005, 09:03 AM

Lewis Gun Kit

I just received a prototype Lewis gun kit from Wright Brothers R/C. I have a Kavan DH.2 that is in dire need of a realistic, (that excludes the kit gun), Lewis gun.

The kit is quite simple and consists of a 1/16" balsa parts sheet, a 1/32 ply sheet, a piece of heavy card stock and two plastic tubes for barrels.

Some of the parts will require care to use and not break, but nothing the average modeler cannot work with.

Attached is a photo of the parts and a drawing of the gun. The drawing image is from a datafile and did not come with the prototype kit.

More build photos and comments on construction as I progress.

The Lewis gun is not yet a production kit, so don't inundate Wright Brothers R/C with orders...just yet. I'm sure Allan will announce when production kits are available.
sp
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2005, 09:45 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Steven is a friend, so he rated a BETA kit. I'm still working out some charring issues with my laser cutting service. It seems I've tried to put too much detail into too small of a space so the laser spends too much time in those places. I need to simplify the cutting of some areas (from hundreds of segments per circle to 20 or so) to get the cuts right. Hopefully after that I'll be able to start production.

Thanks to Steve for bearing with me on a beta kit and giving me good feedback.

Allan
Jul 28, 2005, 09:47 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Steve, I see I forgot the thinner tube for the cocking handle. I guess you're on your own for that bit. I'm sure you have some tube in your 'spares' box, either that or you can stretch some sprue to the appropriate size.
Jul 28, 2005, 10:09 AM
Who me? Stretch sprue?

Bwahahahaha
sp
Jul 28, 2005, 10:27 AM
I began construction with the main body of the gun. The 1/32 ply piece is in the center sandwiched between the 1/16 balsa pieces..

1. Allan you need to make the trigger guard a bit wider. The balsa parts had the bottom of the trigger guard burned through. No biggie, just a minor refinement.
2. The handles on the 1/32 ply gun body could be a little thicker too.
Building Tips: 1.Use white glue or the like to join the body parts and the drum discs. You need the wiggle time to precisely align the parts
2. You'll need to reenforce the handles with CA. A drop on a pin or toothpick run along the handles will add a lot of strength.

Allan tells me that the number of discs needed to make up the ammo drum varies with the scale of the gun. He put 4 discs on the parts file. Use as many as you need for the scale you have.

A tiny file is a big help in cleaning up the notches on the edge of the drum. Allan also told me the production kit will include material for the leather strap on top of the drum. I'll wing it with a strip of copper foil.
Jul 28, 2005, 11:30 AM
I don't know anything trchnical about guns, so please forvive my nomenclature.

The barrels are next, (I know the LG had only one barrel, just don't know what they called the shorter tune under the barrel.)

There are ply and balsa "figure eight" pieces. Just two holes with a very tiny bit of wood around them. They take some care to remove and handle. I put a ply and a balsa one around the two barrels.

There is a round piece with two holes that goes on the front of the gun body to receive the barrels. The lower hole in this piece was a bit close to the edge and the piece broke. I glued the pieces together in position on the front of the body. I used the second balsa "eight" to reemforce this and add a little depth and support for the barrels.

Finally I trimmed the barrels to length. ( Allan, since this kit will be in several scales, perhaps you could express the length of the barrels in terms of body lengths. Like: The upper barrel is 2.25 times the length of the gun body and the lower is 2 ximes the length of the gun body)

After attaching the barrels and drum, i made a handle piece out of excess barrel material and attached it between the handles.

All that's left is painting and the addition of the leather strap on the ammo drum and a cocking handle. It took longer to write and photo than it did to assemble.

Allan You have a great product here. Maximum detail and looks for a very minimum investment of time and effort. Way to go!
sp
Jul 28, 2005, 01:49 PM
Some painted shots
sp
Jul 28, 2005, 03:00 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Looks fabulous Steve! You've done it great justice!

Re: charring of the trigger guards, etc. Those are the exact areas I feel need refinement in the laser CNC files. As far as barell lengths, there will be a 3-view in the kit's instructions to aid in cutting the pieces.

I see you chose not to use the forward sight - that's user preference for sure, they were put on planes both ways, more usually the way you have yours built.

You need a cocking lever on the left side in the slot, besides that looks like it's ready for your model.

Allan
Jul 28, 2005, 03:13 PM
Allan

I left off the sight because the DH.2 had a windshield attached and I thought that was the rear sight with a vaned thing being the forward sight. The vanes could easily be made out of the cardstock.

I'm mounting it on a dowel that will slip into an aluminum tube epoxied in place in the front of the nacelle. this way I can pull the gun off before flight because a nose over, (every time in grass) will obliterate the gun.

sp
Jul 28, 2005, 03:30 PM
TRP
TRP
Wow!

I know zero about the gun you are trying to model, but the end result from the laser cut parts is quite impressive.

Nice modeling my man!
Ted
Jul 28, 2005, 03:56 PM
The lower tube under the barrel is known as the gas tube by us firearm collectors(my other hobby).
Jul 28, 2005, 08:59 PM
Senile Member
That's funny, it's known as a gas tube by us non-firearm collectors too

Very nice job Sperry and Allan. This is something the scale modeling world has needed for a long time.

Larry
Jul 28, 2005, 09:54 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Looks great Steve, it'll look right at home on your DH-2.

Wayne
Jul 28, 2005, 10:10 PM
Indifferent User
Perhaps I missed the scale? 1:12? Is that about right for the Kavan DH2?
You're doing these up in several scales, Allan?
Thanks...and good work by BOTH youse guys!
;-)
pjw
chattanooga
Jul 28, 2005, 10:15 PM
Allan
This was the larger kit. What scales were they?
sp