Sep 27, 2021, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Careful!

Bad Luban Design - SnapMaker

Purchased a SnapMaker A250 as it had a 3d printer, a laser cutter, and CNC module. After a week of getting the 3d printer dialed in, I decided to try the laser today. Nothing to difficult, just manually hooked up comp to SnapMaker A250, brought up Luban (Their official software) and created a simple circle. After generating the g-code and exporting it to the workbench, I saw this at the lower left portion of the screen (first picure, reproduced here from the manual).

Checked the Luban manual online, says that “The Fine-tune Work Origin feature, exclusive to the Laser Module of Snapmaker Original, can be used to fine-tune the work origin.” (https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-...-0-User-Manual). Shouldn’t be showing up since I have the SnapMaker 2, not the original. I wonder what would happen if I clicked the switch?

No warning or anything, the laser turned on full power and got me right in the eyes. Direct shot to my peripheral vision (second picture). Very poor program design, and yes I can say this as I programmed computers for a living for nearly 20 years.

Good thing I was looking to the left at the computer screen and not at the at the machine or I wouldn’t be seeing anything. Not certain if there is any permanent damage. For those wondering about the safety glasses, I did not have them on at the time as I was not ready to start the engraving process. Not sure why the program didn't give a warning when this button was clicked. A simple “do you want to turn the laser on?” or software confirm isn’t that hard to implement, especially when other parts of the program have all sorts of confirmation buttons.

Just wanted to let everyone know NOT to mess with this switch on Luban unless you are prepared for the laser to come on.

As for the SnapMaker, seems to be a decent enough machine. Posted this on the SnapMaker forum and got flamed for it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2021, 10:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
And this is EXACTLY why I have always said it is best to stay away from open bed lasers.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....

Quick Reply