Sep 27, 2021, 01:45 PM
He who dares ... repairs!
Thread OP
Discussion

Slope soaring ban? (UK)

In Dartmoor, England. Potentially devastating change in law affecting RC glider flying in this national park. The council is proposing to change the bylaws so that model glider flying is effectively banned. Also appears that anyone breaching this new 'law' can be repeatedly fined by rangers.

This hasn't happened yet, it is still in consultation and there's a chance to object to the relevant parts https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us...s-consultation

While I am not a local, I have visited sites nearby. And fear this is just the start...

The existing bylaws (left) vs proposed bylaws (right)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2021, 05:48 PM
the occasional flyer
Know any of the history here? Have planes been annoying the livestock?

-David
Sep 28, 2021, 04:57 AM
I dont think it's a slope soaring ban. After reading it, the first part of the notice says not to operate a kite or glider in such a way that annoys people or startles live stock. The second part does appear to ban motorized flight. You may want to get clarification on what kind of permission from owner of the land or authority you need. We had a similar situation at Glider Point Chino Hills State Park above Yorba Linda, CA. One day there was a sign posted banning all RC aircraft. After meeting with the city or park authorities the ban was lifted but only for non motorized gliders. You may want to reach out respectfully to your local authority and present your case. Search in the Slope forums for Glider Point closed or banned, you will find how we got glider point back for non powered slope soaring and you cant have a camera on your plane. The ban at Glider Point was mainly because of people flying drones or FPV electrics with cameras over the houses below.
Last edited by bnsf; Sep 28, 2021 at 09:22 AM.
Sep 29, 2021, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your replies. I don't know the history ... but there seems to be a worrying trend of hostility to rc flying the UK.

Just to reiterate - it is the column on the right (image in my first post) that we are objecting to; the left-hand column is the existing legislation that's been in place since the 1980s I think.

I found this video.

BAN GLIDING ON DARTMOOR .... NO NO NO (1 min 48 sec)

Even if you don't live in Devon, or even England, please consider helping these guys out by politely objecting to points 25 & 26 - perhaps (like me) you go to the south of England on holiday to take advantage of the hills and reliable wind - but are greatly concerned about the potential hostility to our hobby shown by this proposed legislation.
Oct 10, 2021, 02:07 AM
Fly, Crumple, fly...

Options...

hello Hobster
as bnsf says, you could 'reach out respectfully'...

and, if that fails, there's always the 'Kinder Scout mass trespass' method
if there's more people wiggling sticks on Tx's than there are planes in the air, who's offending?

can a local council over-ride central government legislation? - you could even go to court...
Oct 10, 2021, 08:54 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
It looks as though the key substantive changes they intended to make are:

1. The inclusion of "drones".

2. Expanding the prohibited effects to include not only harassment of wildlife or livestock but also "nuisance" to individuals.

3. Requiring permission not only from the Authority but also the owner of the "access land."

It seems to me the first point could be addressed simply by rewriting the existing definition of a "model aircraft." I don't know why they scrapped and replaced the existing language because it looks very tight already. A quadcopter drone is a powered model. Also, reading between the lines here, it seems the offensive conduct is people flying camera drones into people's back yards and such. If the goal is to prevent that, why not just say no camera-equipped models and leave it at that?

Point 2 is a conceptual rat's nest. The common-law definition of "nuisance" is pretty strict, requiring a substantial interference with one's right to enjoy the benefits of property ownership. But in this context, it may empower one incorrigible neighbor to stop the whole show. Again, I might suggest that simply prohibiting camera-equipped aircraft may do what they want to do without causing expensive litigation or other collateral damage.

I'm not sure what purpose point 3 serves. The Authority (not sure, but I'm assuming that's the public entity operating the parkland) has to have rules regulating all activity on the parkland so as not to cause harm to nearby landowners. If the Authority has adequate rules governing model flying, there should be no need to chase after neighbors with waiver forms or whatnot every time you want to go out there. Plus, how is the neighbor going to know exactly what sort of model you have or how you're going to conduct yourself after they give permission? A blanket waiver won't cover that, and will a more specific waiver be revocable if you violate its terms? How will the landowner prove that? Will they have to get video of the model overflying their patio and then prove it was you flying it? Again, a rat's nest of specifics, better to just have clear rules in the first place and let the Authority do their job.

That's my tuppence worth from across the pond. Good luck to you!

Cheers,
Duane
Oct 10, 2021, 12:12 PM
After flying for 21 years on a nearby National Park (American Camp, San Juan Island) I too have been recently banned. The drones have mostly caused all the problems from what I can tell. They group us with drones, hang gliders, and paragliders.
Oct 12, 2021, 08:25 PM
Fly, Crumple, fly...

Regulation Punishes the Law-Abiding

time was, a parent and child could enjoy a few hours flying a plane at a local park
possibly leading to a lifelong interest and career in aviation...
now?

here in NZ, we had a couple of major gun recalls, after the Christchurch mosque shootings
legitimate owners handed in their, now-illegal, military-style firearms
I wonder how many gang members and other crims participated...

and the next step is to create a 'gun register' - who owns what
I'm sure gangs and crims will cooperate fully

and, back on topic, NZ CAA is planning to 'revise' our current rules
which they have been unable to enforce since their introduction in late 2015
so that means tougher rules then...
Oct 13, 2021, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu
After flying for 21 years on a nearby National Park (American Camp, San Juan Island) I too have been recently banned. The drones have mostly caused all the problems from what I can tell. They group us with drones, hang gliders, and paragliders.
Sorry to hear that, hope you can get the ban lifted. All part of a global worrying trend it seems

We need someone with influence (and deep pockets) to help fight our cause. Messrs Musk and Bezos, can you can take a break from your rockets and discover the addiction that is rc slope soaring?

Quick Reply