Admiral 8 channel receiver
60 A ESC with 5V/5A BEC
2600 mah 60C 4S battery
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2021, 02:47 PM
Ray
That's a nice looking wing! Any videos?

Ray

PS - No need to post video. Found your blog! You do really nice work! It's like almost 10 years of awesomeness all in one place!
Last edited by raybea528; Sep 26, 2021 at 03:24 PM.
Sep 26, 2021, 07:45 PM
Retired CAD guy
Agreed!

This looks like a fun delta design whether it's used for Combat or not.

Plenty of Yank and Bank fun- IMHO.

I may get around to making one for myself, but for now, I have tentatively layed out / nested
the parts on a SINGLE sheet of 2'x4' foam sheeting similar to fanfold or MPF.

I have no intention of making this into a product or kit.
While the designers plans already come with vector in them,
I simply offer this layout for anyone interested in DXF cut outs of the parts.
on a 2x4 format.

Scratch builders should have no problem adding their own touches to this one.

Best
Sep 26, 2021, 09:04 PM
Ray
Thanks Bob ! I may just use your layout. Looks like a nice flyer. I'm putting the 3d stuff aside for now and getting back to some less fragile flying.

Ray
Sep 27, 2021, 05:29 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Thread OP

videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybea528
That's a nice looking wing! Any videos?

Ray

PS - No need to post video. Found your blog! You do really nice work! It's like almost 10 years of awesomeness all in one place!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCze...E09zVXQ/videos

Thank you for the kind words
Sep 28, 2021, 04:33 PM
Ray
Cut out some cardboard templates and 3d printed the motor mount, plate, and brace as a single unit. Waiting for some 24x36 foam board. Just hope it flies as good as yours!

Ray
Sep 28, 2021, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybea528
Cut out some cardboard templates and 3d printed the motor mount, plate, and brace as a single unit. Waiting for some 24x36 foam board. Just hope it flies as good as yours!

Ray
It'll fly....it's the launch that'll get your heart pumping......LOL.....If you watched the video fo the 32 Combat II (a sister ship) you'll see how to flop it down for landing.......I'm flying an 8x4 on the one I have right now, but I'm going to to put a 9x4.5 on it for this weekend.....

I notch the fins to surround the servos, but only after mounting the servos.....I use different servos, so I've never programmed the notch into the fin

Can't wait to see yours fly.....full throttle, at about 45-50 degrees up should launch it.

good luck

O_P
Sep 29, 2021, 08:44 AM
Ray
Yes, I did see the video where you flared (flopped) it on landing. Nice technique. I'll do a side-arm launch with this one as I do other delta's and flying wings.

Do you tape the foam board to keep it dry or just some spray paint?

Ray
Sep 29, 2021, 12:55 PM
Thread OP

Painting

Ray,

I use Elmer's board for my flat foamies. Unlike DTFB or Ross board, the paper doesn't separate from Elmer's board. It's a bit heavier than the other two, but you can paint it with plain ol' rattlecan.....

O_P
Sep 30, 2021, 04:38 PM
Ray
Finished and maidened the combat delta today. The power system is a BadAss 2320 1860 motor with a 8x3 prop, a Turnigy Plush 60A esc, with a 2200mah 3s battery. AUW is 32oz.

The prop might be a little oversize for that kv motor. The motor I intend to use is a 2320 1310kv which is on order and shipped.

Took a couple attempts to launch as I fly by myself and use a side arm launch. A little trimming and adjustments to launch throttle and angle and she was away. I don't know if 32oz is heavy for this size plane but once it was flying it flew nice. The CG came out slightly aft as indicated but it almost felt like it could go aft a little further. I'll play with that after a few flights. Not a speed demon with this setup but it's nice and stable and landing was good. Had it on low rates for a couple flights and will try high rates next.

Thanks Old Pilot for a great design!

Ray
Sep 30, 2021, 07:02 PM
Thread OP

Power systems

Ray,

A couple of my buddies have built the combat ship.....I've built at least 4.....one of my buddies put a 3000 kV prop drive on his with a 7x4.....at speed it was fine....launch was , well, wobbly.......it seemed that the prop was at stall.....I've learned that a lower kV, more robust motor with a larger prop, widens the flight envelope........

Maybe this will help on the next one.........

O_P
Oct 01, 2021, 06:27 AM
Ray
Exactly! I intend to use 9x4.5 or 9x6 prop when the new motor arrives.

Ray
Oct 01, 2021, 06:38 AM
Thread OP

CG and Thrust-to-Weight

Ray,

I'm pretty conservative when determining the CG on my air frames. 99.44% of the time I set the CG at 20% to 25% of the MAC. They are easier to fly (for me) if they are a touch nose heavy, especially on a maiden....

I'm also REAL conservative when it comes to T/W.....This particular version has a 1.68:1.0 T/W (9x4.5 APC E) with a top speed at close to 55 mph....172 W/lb. I'll put a 9x6 on her after the maiden/trim flight.....T/W jumps to 2:1

I can always throttle back

See attached

Edit...I really like that 3D printed motor mount
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Oct 01, 2021 at 06:45 AM.
Oct 01, 2021, 06:51 AM
Thread OP

Added skids

I've taken what I learned from my flat jets (Einzpfeil, Venom, SU-25, S-3, etc) and added skids to the bottom of the air frame. It seems that the skids contributed significantly to the lateral stability of the airplane... they may save a prop or two to boot......we'll see
Oct 01, 2021, 07:25 AM
Thread OP

36" Combat....EDF version

Now I'm thinking I'll make an EDF version of the Kombat with a 12 blade 70mm fan.......I know, I've lost my mind.......well that was back in the 60's ..LOL

Stay tuned !

Edit.....revised the drawings to be able to cut the air frame out of one piece of foam board
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Oct 02, 2021 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply