This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 25, 2021, 04:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Low Bounce wheels for Marlin EDF

I tried a fiberglass and wood Sport Jet kit back in 2000 on an asphalt runway. However minor dips in the runway resulted in pre mature lift off below minimum control speed that resulted in take off crashes. I used stomp launchers but put the model away until EDF design improved. The Marlin is a big improvement that has rugged gear and can be hand launched if desired. I want wheels!

The Marlin “trainer jet” has quicker acceleration but still has no shock absorption for take offs or landings.

The stock Marlin wheel tires are hard and offer no shock absorbing for take offs or touchdowns. The result is a bounce that creates a crash condition either below minimum controls speed or while accelerating to minimum control speed during take off or go around. Unlike full scale aircraft and RC automobiles with hydraulic shock absorbers our fixed wing RC models (with some exception) have no shock absorption. Low Bounce wheels such as the Du-Bro Cat.No. 175T offer shock absorbing action that mitigates bouncing. You can remove the landing gear and hand launch but this may not be your style of operating this EDF. The Marlin has fixed gear and has no risk of retract failure which is an advantage to the design.

Pry off the C clips with a sharp awl or pin in an area that you can find the clip if it flys off. Putting the gear in a clear baggy can help capture the c clip.

Remove the stock wheel and fit the 1.75 “ wheel onto the axle. Note that the stock axle is much smaller than the 3 mm wheel opening. Filling the gap with a K&B brass or aluminum is what I used. I used a 14 mm length of tube and this was epoxied into the grey plastic Du-Bro wheel. I had to grind off each side off the wheel so that the tube was flush with the wheel. A 3mm long tube section keeps the tire from rubbing up against the landing gear strut sections. I used a 3 mm bolt and nut and chucked the wheel and tire into a drill and used 60 grit paper to reduce the tire diameter for clearance. I may add a rubber scrub device for friction to reduce landing roll out distance on hard surface runways.
A small round or tapered file helps in smoothing out the inside of the aluminum or brass tube. I sanded the outside of the tube and applied J-B Weld epoxy to secure the tube to the plastic wheel. I put grease on the axle, epoxy on the tube, tube into the wheel and onto the axle. I used needle nose plyers to force the c clip back onto the axle groove. See pics or my blog.
ImagesView all Images in thread
Name: 26CCFE0E-6973-4279-A88E-8258513E8586.jpeg
Views: 0
Size: 1.48 MB
Description: Stock nose wheel on left is lighter than the 13 gram Du-Bro wheel on left. However the Du-Bro is softer and has more shock absorbing action. Views: 0

Stock nose wheel on left is lighter than the 13 gram Du-Bro wheel on left. However the Du-Bro is softer and has more shock absorbing action. Name: F449CB42-2726-4E7B-9805-37FDBDD2E586.jpg
Size: 3.78 MB
Description: Sketch of dimensions and parts. Views: 0

Sketch of dimensions and parts. Name: 451E8372-217A-4568-A820-00258B9790F8.jpeg
Size: 329.1 KB
Description: A 3 mm length of K and B aluminum tube keeps the wheel centered and prevents rubbing against the wire strut. The tire has been sanded down for clearance. Views: 0

A 3 mm length of K and B aluminum tube keeps the wheel centered and prevents rubbing against the wire strut. The tire has been sanded down for clearance.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2021, 04:31 AM
Thread OP
See Marlin thread for pics and more info.

Quick Reply