This thread is privately moderated by Calypso6858, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 24, 2021, 03:34 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Obscure Airplane Highlight of the Day : Piel Emeraude

Piel CP.30 Emeraude: After flying and building a few Pinocchios, Claude Piel had started Avions Claude Piel to sell aircraft plans. The first set of plans that really attracted customers was the CP.30 Emeraude.

The Emeraude was an enlarged version of the CP.20 Pinocchio. Scaled up large enough to fit two people seated side-by-side. The original Emeraude was built to be extremely lightweight and had just a 65hp Continental to power it. It still had the beautiful elliptical wing under it (with full elliptical tips) and was constructed entirely of wood. Unfortunately with revisions to the plans those pretty elliptical tips got clipped almost immediately.

The Emeraude was clearly garnering interest, so Piel decided to license it for production. At least 11 producers manufactured Emeraudes or airplanes based off of it. They were produced in France, England and South Africa. Most production versions housed a larger engine of some sort. Emeraudes have been flown with almost every major production 4 cylinder Continental and Lycoming. (A-65, C-85, C-90, O-200, O-235, O-320, O-360)

While manufacturers continued to evolve the design, so did Piel. The Emeraude evolved through at least 22 variations. The variations included mostly different engines and small structural changes. The first major update of the airplane was the Super Emeraude which looked very similar but was strengthened and certified for aerobatics.

The Super Emeraude was adapted by Mudry into the CAP 10. The CAP 10 looks very similar to the Emeraude with the only obvious differences being larger tailfeathers, a sliding canopy and a new cowling to fit the Lycoming O-360. The CAP 10 was built in very large numbers as an aerobatic trainer and a single seat version called the CAP 20 was built using a the same wing.

Putting aside all of the factory built Emeraudes, it was also hugely popular as a homebuilt. And not just in France. Emeraudes have been built in somewhat large numbers in the US too. Now with RVs flooding the market, an Emeraude can be bought for a very reasonable price as well.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2021, 12:58 PM
Ha, I thought I was the only one with Emeraudes on my mind. I have my eye out for a full scale one if the right one pops up. There are some really beautiful builds out there. I looked at one, it was nice, but not nice enough.
Sep 24, 2021, 01:56 PM
Intermediate Multi
A pretty plane that was meant to be modeled. Europeans seem more open minded about wood construction. The Jodel comes to mind too.
Sep 24, 2021, 02:57 PM
This was the one I looked at. Very nice build with a Lycoming O-290. I should have bought it.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:50 AM
100% electric since 1990
Love the emeraude, and a cap 10 is on my wish list. I love basic acro designs.
Sep 25, 2021, 01:59 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsrforkids
This was the one I looked at. Very nice build with a Lycoming O-290. I should have bought it.
Nice Panel!!!!l
Oct 01, 2021, 12:42 PM
Damn you for posting this! Now Ill have to add this to the must build list.
Always thought this or Cap-10 would make a nice tow planes.

thank you for sharing!

Quick Reply