Sep 30, 2021, 12:28 AM
Suspended Account
That may be, but it is without a doubt an iconic warbird - one of the most iconic afaic.. My personal favorite warbird is a P-47. However, the P-40 with the shark mouth is about as evocative of the WWII warbird era as any other plane. Up there with a Corsair, P-51, and Spitfire IMO...

The 980mm P-40 is a bit too small. A 1200mm E-flite P-40 would be the sweet spot, IMO.

So would a Hellcat fwiw...

Kind of hard to imagine them doing a 1500mm Zero(or other Japanese plane), but it would kind of make sense to go with the P-51 and FW-190....

Ultimately though I think those saying all Horizon cares about is Cubstangs are basically right... We'd be lucky to see a mainstream plane like a P-40 in any size.. The more obscure stuff, OR something which FMS already makes in the same size, is just not going to happen....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2021, 01:00 AM
Boost rules!
Thread OP
The Jug is far more iconic. Set all sorts of records, had the best mortality rate of any Allied fighter to see combat during WWII (and many afterward), shot down the most Me 262 jets of any Allied fighter, held the world speed record for prop-driven aircraft of 505 MPH in level flight from 1945 'til Rare Bear hit 528 MPH @ Reno in 1989, carried half the bomb-load of a B-17, could deliver 13 POUNDS per second of explosive .50-cal rounds to the target for 5 MINUTES straight, and shot-down more Me 262 jets than all other Allied fighters combined!

No fighter to see combat in WWII came anywhere near close to matching the mighty Jug's many records.

I'm just a little biased - as my dad flew two tours in Italy, flying CAS in a wildly hopped-up Jug that could pin your head to the headrest when you hit WEP. Dad said that hitting WEP in his hopped-up Jug that ran 70 POUNDS of boost (same boost as a modern Top Fuel dragster runs) felt like "getting kicked in the ass by a freight-train".

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 30, 2021 at 01:08 AM.
Sep 30, 2021, 01:02 AM
Suspended Account
For insiders, maybe... But I think in popular culture the P-40 is more broadly iconic... You're preaching to the choir about how good the Jug was. I just think the P-40 is more iconic, in terms of being a symbol of the classic warbird era in the popular imagination...
Sep 30, 2021, 01:11 AM
Boost rules!
Thread OP
I don't see how. The P-40 hardly saw combat - as compared to the P-47 & P-51.

Dad flew a P-40 for a short time before getting transferred to Jugs. He told me that he hated the P-40. Extremely under-gunned, under-powered, and had a cramped cockpit. He even had a scar on his forehead from when the P-40's compass hit him while he was in turbulence.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 30, 2021 at 01:16 AM.
Sep 30, 2021, 01:18 AM
AMA 796401
Two words. Flying Tigers. That's how,
Sep 30, 2021, 01:51 AM
Boost rules!
Thread OP
Thunderbolt movies on the big-screen - and one of the most famous multi-war aces in the world (Gabby Gabreski) being quoted as saying - "If you want to get the girl, fly a P-51. If you want to go home to your girl, fly a P-47."

The Jug isn't a "niche" aircraft. It holds all sorts of records that have yet to be topped (including best mortality rate) - and it held the top-speed record of 505 MPH in level flight for prop-jobs from 1945 all the way until 1989 when Rare Bear ran 528 MPH @ Reno. It also shot down more Me-262 jets during WWII than any other Allied fighter.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 30, 2021 at 01:59 AM.
Sep 30, 2021, 06:52 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I don't see how. The P-40 hardly saw combat - as compared to the P-47 & P-51.

Dad flew a P-40 for a short time before getting transferred to Jugs. He told me that he hated the P-40. Extremely under-gunned, under-powered, and had a cramped cockpit. He even had a scar on his forehead from when the P-40's compass hit him while he was in turbulence.

Joel
Tell that to the AVG.
Bates P-40 B is my next build.

Mike
Sep 30, 2021, 08:31 AM
The end-of-war fighters were all far superior to anything the US fielded at the outset of hostilities. I don't think any combat pilot in their right mind would stand in front of a P-40B and P-47D, and willingly climb in the P-40 if given the choice. All that has very little to do with how interested the buying public is in flying an RC version.

P-40 is iconic, particularly w/ a sharkmouth, and it is largely due to the AVG.

HH really should have both. Their P-47s have always been regarded as sweet flyers. I'd really like to see more of the ParkZone-type models come back, like the reissue of the T28. 1.1 to 1.2 m models, that are (well) under $500. The 1.5m planes are neat, but that's a barrier that many just aren't going to break on a single aircraft these days.
Sep 30, 2021, 10:16 AM
Work hard, play hard
I guess that I'm weird (okay, I'll publicly admit it...LOL), but I've never been a fan of the P-40. I'm not just a late-war warbird guy either, as I really get into Battle of Britain warbirds. The early-war US warbirds, though, have never really tripped my trigger.
Sep 30, 2021, 10:17 AM
I had heard good things about that 1400mm fms p40 and also I was so close to grabbing the 980mm p40 but it was just too small for me to enjoy at the club where I usually fly 1.1m+ sizes and too big for me to fly in a small park where I have the 800mm and smaller planes. I feel like I am well read and well informed now on warbird history and specs and I have tremendous appreciation for p47s. In fact, after spitfires it is my second most collected rc type with a couple umxs, the parkzone 1.1m and the fms 1.5m models. I love the look and performance of the rc models and the real things were and are awesome.

That being said, for some reason thinking back to my childhood and teen years getting into all this history and building 1/72 scale plastic kits, the p47 was not as much on my radar. So I don't know why that is now given my better awareness of things but I really do suspect that to everyday people who don't know too much about these aircraft - they are going to know about or recognize p40s more readily. It must be from tv, cartoons, video games, I am really not sure.

Now for sure if the average person sees a warbird at an airshow or sees me flying at a park they say "hey, is that a spitfire?" Or "hey, is that a mustang?" no matter if it is actually a p47, wildcat, zero, fw190 whatever I have tons of types. Everyone clearly knows about spitfires and mustangs.
Sep 30, 2021, 10:22 AM
Arrowhead
P-40s saw all kinds of action all over the world. Aleutians, China, New Guinea, the ‘Canal, North Africa and probably elsewhere. No, they weren’t the best by a long shot… but they held the line till better aircraft became available. And that profile is unmistakable! With or without a shark mouth painted on it, it looks badass.

Anyway, yeah a nice Kittyhawk would be awesome. When was the last time HH released a warbird in a desert scheme?

But I’d still rather have a Wildcat. Might settle for an Avenger tho…
Sep 30, 2021, 10:29 AM
DFS#000178
Early war they weren't bad.

When Kawasaki was designing the Ki-61 they benchmarked it against a Ki-43 and a captured P-40B. And while it was specifically designed to be superior to the P-40B the P-40B held it's own in the initial flyoffs.

That being said, I think the Ki-61 is the most visually-appealing fighter of the entire war, and probably the most underappreciated.

I just can't see Horizon putting money into another P-40 when the FMS P-40B is available in 1400mm, which is a good 'middle of the road' size, smaller than their 1500mm flagship stuff but bigger than the usual 1200mm stuff. It looks great and it comes in the most famous scheme.
Sep 30, 2021, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

That being said, I think the Ki-61 is the most visually-appealing fighter of the entire war, and probably the most underappreciated.
It's nice looking for sure but if I'm not mistaken they were at first thought to be Italian fighters like macchis that Japan had purchased when allied pilots first encountered them. Maybe that's why it got the name "Tony"? In any case, Italian warbirds, now those are some sexy fighters and that's what we need finally from horizon!!!!!
Sep 30, 2021, 10:54 AM
A-1 Skyraider. Designed during WWII and flew for the Navy/Marines/Air Force through the end of hostilities in Viet Nam.

Plenty of schemes both colorful and camouflaged.
Sep 30, 2021, 11:46 AM
Work hard, play hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe
It's nice looking for sure but if I'm not mistaken they were at first thought to be Italian fighters like macchis that Japan had purchased when allied pilots first encountered them. Maybe that's why it got the name "Tony"? In any case, Italian warbirds, now those are some sexy fighters and that's what we need finally from horizon!!!!!
You and I may be the only ones who drool over Macchis, and Fiats. I love the lines on those fighters. I'd love to have one in a nice size. I also like the Ki-61s for much the same reasons.

Quick Reply