This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 23, 2021, 11:30 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

GWS pico Tiger Moth (Careful with Wing rip repairs!)

Well,

A few months ago my GWS pico Tiger Moth sustained an ugly Right Wing Crash because I erroneously took out almost all of the wing dihedral and was stupid enough to hand launch it and it slipped into an inverted flying position. Fortunately, I was able to recover it in time and had the model flying right-side UP again but, the landing was not good and Right Wing ripped.

My efforts of gluing it back was amateur like by leaving the wing in a position while glue was curing that caused some sort of wing distortion (Wash-In) instead of Wash-Out, definitely the two wings not matching for sure. I made sure that the wing dihedral was placed back by gluing an Aluminum short Tube at the bottom of bottom wing, however, during in-flight observations, the Tiger Moth was observed to stray (slide) to lean towards the Right (a gentle stall) while mid-flight. Correcting this was no issue by applying a slight down Elevator and of course a tiny amount of Left Rudder.

However, all of this has caused me to re-think things as my Tiger Moth is no longer "Hands-Free" type of flying and you have to watch it carefully. I have taken steps to correct the Wash-In and settled using some home made tools (Large Clamp with heavy magnets) to pull down the rearward bottom Right Wing to at least match the Left wing.

No guarantee of the results but, I just hate breaking up the bottom Right wing again to provide the correct amount of Wash-Out and the glue etc...

Everyone that has seen it fly recently with this wing issue says it still flys majestic but, guess who has to correct at the controls!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply