Sep 22, 2021, 02:15 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Discussion

What Started Me Off

I have no Idea why we went there. Possibly because it was the closest real hobby store in the area. I do remember seeing a model Chris Craft being run at the New York Int'l Boat show in 1962 (I was 8)...and I know several times I had asked for a boat like that one to build...with help (Sterling Catalina-I think, you know the $19 one)...but I could have spent hours there-Beside boats, they had Dyna Jets, the full jet x line and that is where I saw my first model turbo jet engine. It looked like something Frank Whittle himself built. Regardless, the horse was out of the barn-Polks Hobbies in East Meadow New York..

I had occasion to drive by the old building today-the building is the same (only change is the signage)...There is no Sullivan Street but Like Billy Joel still sings it was " across from the medical center"-and its the same medical center that he sings about!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2021, 03:04 PM
Intermediate Multi
Dad brought a Graupner Kitty II back from one of his business trips to Germany. We were already dabbling in planes, so we had a radio to install in the boat. A Kraft Sport Series on 72 MHz. I'm guessing this was mid 70s.
Sep 22, 2021, 06:37 PM
Grumpa Tom
That was Polks Hobbies?? Wow, I remember their full page ads in the hobby magazines from decades ago and they always made me think they were a multi-story megaplex hobby store!
Sep 22, 2021, 08:15 PM
There was a Polk's in NYC my father took me to in the 40's.
Google it.
Sep 22, 2021, 08:49 PM
For me it was a family vacation to the Thousand Islands. We stayed at Grass Point SP, and took a trip to the Clayton museum one day. All that mahogany... When we got home I was taking 1/2" sq sticks and shaping them to resemble an old Gold Cupper. With a dab of soap on the transom they would travel in circles in the pond in our backyard.

Eventually my grandfather made me an 18" or so free sailboat. That made lots of trans-pond trips.

Then it was on to airboats, then after college an MRC Wellcraft Excalibur 40 Hawk.

Been lots of fun.

Andy
Sep 22, 2021, 09:37 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Dad brought a Graupner Kitty II back from one of his business trips to Germany. We were already dabbling in planes, so we had a radio to install in the boat. A Kraft Sport Series on 72 MHz. I'm guessing this was mid 70s.
The Kitty II is back in my shop awaiting refurb and refit. JP must have over a hundred hours on her, itís time to check her over and pretty her up!!
Sheís been and still is a good boat.
Sep 22, 2021, 09:53 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Not exactly sure what got me started with boats..I was stationed in Ramstein, and was flying rc and racing cars. The boat that helped get me started was a Graupner Eco Speed. Over the course of a year or so I built her, a Robbe Eco Star, a Robbe San Remo and a Graupner Key Biscayne. When I came back to the states I dabbled with fast electrics then started flying again. Didnít get involved with boats till about 6 years ago. Didnít do much scale or scale type ships until I built my Krick Felix, she got me hooked.
Sep 22, 2021, 10:36 PM
I was stationed at Ramstein in the mid 80's. Was a great place from which to travel Europe.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Sep 23, 2021, 05:15 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
That was Polks Hobbies?? Wow, I remember their full page ads in the hobby magazines from decades ago and they always made me think they were a multi-story megaplex hobby store!
Yes Polks had that huge store in Manhattan-but the old man lived on the Island here and this was a satellite store...I see on the web that they also had a store in FLA...I t seems everyone on the east coast moves to FLA as they age.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Sep 23, 2021 at 05:23 AM.
Sep 23, 2021, 12:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
Ah, okay.
Sep 23, 2021, 12:18 PM
Can you imagine the dollar turns it would take today to afford five floors in Manhattan?!?!

Andy
Sep 23, 2021, 01:35 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRC
The Kitty II is back in my shop awaiting refurb and refit. JP must have over a hundred hours on her, itís time to check her over and pretty her up!!
Sheís been and still is a good boat.
You guys are putting way more miles on that boat than I ever did. It's nice to see it being used.
Sep 23, 2021, 01:44 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
There was a Polk's in NYC my father took me to in the 40's.
Google it.
My dad took me in the late 60s. Polk's and FAO Schwarz. The two highlights of my childhood NYC trip.
Sep 23, 2021, 03:57 PM

What started me off

Back in the early 1970's, right after I crashed my fourth RC aircraft, my future wife and myself traveled to Toronto, Canada for the annual National Expo.

On the lake shore was a gentleman running a RC tugboat that he had built, and several others were displaying their models in a tent.

I figured I could build ship model, and besides I can swim, but can't fly. It seemed safer to me.

I purchased a Dumas kit, and built it exactly how the instructions stated, and as they say, that's history.

Now, 45 years later, and after building over hundred different ship models, I still have that first kit.

It been one hell of a cruise.

Ed
Sep 23, 2021, 05:32 PM
Intermediate Multi
I knew a guy back in the day who flew a 60 powered pattern ship. A Kaos to be precise. He would get a bit tense when he flew. I once put the Graupner Kitty out on the pond and handed him the transmitter. He couldn't get over how relaxing it was.

Quick Reply