Sep 21, 2021, 05:22 PM
prop wash
Thread OP
Discussion

Using a ultra stick wing for a low wing plane?

Hi there,
I have a spare 58 inch ultra stick wing, that I was thinking of using on a new scratch built low wing fuse. Itís a one piece wing.
The wing has No dihedral at all, which has me wonder if it will work as a low wing?
I currently fly mostly low wing planes, such as Super sportster 40, Spacewalker II 40 size, four star 40....
They all have dihedral thought! Only high wings that Iím currently flying are the ultra stick, a smaller old school ugly stick and a 40 size old school Falcon Mark II from the late 70s and a shoulder wing old school easy sport 40.

So the question is will it work? Or will it be too unstable?

Glen
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2021, 01:00 PM
It wil work just fine.
If you look around you find a lot of planes with no dihedral.
Use small throw on rudders in the beginning and pay atention to where the plane is flying.
It will go ehere you aim it.
After a few flights you might like to ad a gyro to make it more stable but that is a matter of taste.

// Mats W
Sep 22, 2021, 05:41 PM
prop wash
Thread OP
Thanks for the reply Mats W!
I appreciate your input.

Glen
Oct 08, 2021, 11:05 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
Hi Glen,

If I am remembering correctly there actually was a low wing version of the original Ugly Stik available at one time. The only possible negative is that a wing with no dihedral can have an optical illusion that makes it appear to droop. This illusion seems to be stronger on a low wing plane compared to the shoulder wing of the original stik. From an aerodynamic standpoint there is no disadvantage whatsoever.

Have fun with your original design. This can be a very rewarding endeavor.

John
Oct 09, 2021, 09:04 AM
prop wash
Thread OP
Thanks for posting John!
I have cut the wing in two and will be making it into a two piece wing with a center joiner.
Then I’ll be able to put a bit of dihedral in it. The wings will also be extended by four inches per side. The fuse and tail feathers are almost ready for assembly for test fitting and wing location. The fuse and tail feathers are designed after the Kaos 60 so it will look like a Kaos 60 plus ten percent bigger with a low mounted Ultra stick wing. The wing will be fastened though the sides of the fuse, instead of bolted to the bottom.
I want the wings to be fastened through the side, because I don’t like having to turn the airplane upside to bolt the wing on. The top where the canopy will be will be removable to gain access to the servos and flight battery. No more having to be flipping planes over when working on them.
Will be putting an OS 120 four stroke in it too

Glen
Oct 09, 2021, 10:19 AM
roll a stik over and there is no problem driving it around. dihedral enhances stability but that isn't always desirable.
Oct 09, 2021, 10:24 AM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
Sounds like an interesting project Glen, bashing an existing kit or designing your own has a satisfaction all it's own. Plus you have something different on the flightline than the rest of the "herd". Good luck and enjoy the process!

John
Oct 14, 2021, 08:22 PM
Midwest sweet stick is a low wing stick.
Oct 15, 2021, 01:36 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Hi there,
I have a spare 58 inch ultra stick wing, that I was thinking of using on a new scratch built low wing fuse. It’s a one piece wing.
The wing has No dihedral at all, which has me wonder if it will work as a low wing?
I currently fly mostly low wing planes, such as Super sportster 40, Spacewalker II 40 size, four star 40....
They all have dihedral thought! Only high wings that I’m currently flying are the ultra stick, a smaller old school ugly stick and a 40 size old school Falcon Mark II from the late 70s and a shoulder wing old school easy sport 40.

So the question is will it work? Or will it be too unstable?

Glen
If you keep the fuselage reasonably small, like the ultra stick, you will never notice the difference. I suggest that you move the stab to the top of the fuselage, that should result in a real nice flying airplane.

You can make the tail end any shape you like. I always thought that airplane would benefit from a slightly larger stab. If I were doing the build I would increase the stab area by 10-20%.

When you start the build post photos so we can follow along.

Oct 15, 2021, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan culv
Midwest sweet stick is a low wing stick.
Did it change at some point. Mine back in '75 was a shoulder wing.
Oct 16, 2021, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Did it change at some point. Mine back in '75 was a shoulder wing.
I looked at it again and its actually called a midwest sweet n' low stick. yes low wing.
Oct 16, 2021, 08:36 AM
prop wash
Thread OP

Over sized Ultimate/ ultra 60 Kaos with Ultra Stick wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man

You can make the tail end any shape you like. I always thought that airplane would benefit from a slightly larger stab. If I were doing the build I would increase the stab area by 10-20%.

When you start the build post photos so we can follow along.

I’m using the Ultimate Kaos 60 plans to build off of, so I believe the tail feathers are bigger then the original Kaos.
Now because I’m putting an OS 120 four stroke in it I’ve oversized the plan by about 10%. The fuse from the front to the end of the rudder is 62 inches and is 4 inches wide.
Last edited by biggy boy; Oct 16, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
Oct 16, 2021, 09:45 AM
Quote:
I looked at it again and its actually called a midwest sweet n' low stick. yes low wing.
Ahh, I'd forgotten about that adaptation.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Ahh, I'd forgotten about that adaptation.
I've flown a buddies low stick and it really makes me want to build mine.
Oct 17, 2021, 09:48 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
I've flown a buddies low stick and it really makes me want to build mine.
Do you have a photo.

Quick Reply