Sep 21, 2021, 02:58 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Build Log

j&H aerospace 48" bird of time! with motor.

just received this cute little kit! looking forward to getting started. only issue is the supplied covering, which i am totally impressed they provide, is clear. im hoping to add some color if possible. don't really want to spend money so might add a bit of what i have lying around. kit looks amazing! this will get me fired up for my 118" bird of time kit. i printed the directions so i can work in garage and have access to read. lots of printer ink! oh well. im adding a small motor on 2s with folding prop. i would love to bury the motor in balsa so we shall see how that goes. fingers crossed. in the name of lightness i wont add flaps to her because of the the motor weight. i would love more control on landing so i could fly in a tight spot and stick a short landing approach. hoping for good things. excited! as a fun addition I purchased a miniature airport windsock and mounted it to the telephone pole next to my driveway flying location. It’s 15” long and bright orange. Made from real windsock material. Hilarious! it’s quite breezy today and it’s working a treat!
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 21, 2021 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2021, 05:27 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Basic fuselage completed and little access hatch in front of Wing. Tiny little thing.
Sep 21, 2021, 06:41 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Progress. So far it’s really fast and fun. Laser kits fit like a dream! I have a feeling the electric part will be the hardest to sort. Fuse looks really small. Very tight on space.
Sep 21, 2021, 08:03 PM
The covering they supply with these is called doculam. It has quite a learning curve to work with but if used right it is very lightweight and highly resistant to sagging over time. It doesn't shrink up very much, but it does stretch very well and can cover compound curves. Trying to color it can have interesting results. If you want anything to stick to the outside of it, it must be cleaned thoroughly with alcohol and sometimes even scuffed with fine sandpaper or emery cloth. Painting the inside of it works much better as this will protect the paint from being scratched off over time. When it is adhered on the adhesive will "move" over top of the paint and stick it to the airframe just fine.

I have even seen guys dye it which results in a finish similar to transparent Ultracote which is very difficult to achieve via painting.

I won a kit of the V-tail version of this in a soaring competition a while ago. I have not yet started putting it together because I don't know what exactly to do in terms of a motor either. It'll be my first electric build in quite a while. I'm eager to see what you come up with...
Sep 21, 2021, 09:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I’m thinking I will use the recommended components they spec on there website. It’s just so tight. It’s pretty similar to all the e builds I’ve done so far. Just way smaller. I’ll need to go slow so as to know accidentally break something. right wing completed. Still needs lots of sanding. !
Sep 22, 2021, 06:39 AM
Looking good, small gliders unite!
Sep 22, 2021, 08:53 AM
AMA 477098, - Jimmy Russell
That is so cool Walt. I'm going have to check J&H out. Looks similar to the Willy Nillies kit's I've built. They use super small 3-5g servos and 2 or 3s 500mah pack. I agree tough to to fit components in. I was surprised they said use hot glue to glue the servos in! But it's worked fine.

I built a GLH and one they call the Super Sport. I hoped they would be fun tiny little pattern planes.. But to me they are pretty twitchy and require 100% attention. Not smooth like the 60 size.. They have a 48" Gentle Lady too.

The really cool thing if you can keep it under 250g or .55lbs you will be out of the remote ID rules. That's the neat thing about small light planes. The Man cant touch em... Yet...
Sep 22, 2021, 09:57 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Yes I saw those small sport planes you have pictured. Look very cool. I was mainly focus on something that would be as light as possible fly relatively slow and float around in small spaces. I’m hoping that this baby bird of time will fit that bill. Gets me excited to build a full scale kit I have as well. 118 inches is going to look quite impressive compared to my 78 Sigg riser Small gliders unite indeed!!
Sep 22, 2021, 11:05 AM
AMA 477098, - Jimmy Russell
I built a 118" Bird of Time way back then. I built mine totally stock just Rudder and Elev. I think it was a Mark's Models or Craft Air kit. Way before the GP redesign version. It was really cool with a full flying stab. It really lived up to the hype. Once it was up it didn't want to come down. The sink rate was ridiculous. It would float down our 500' runway eye level and seemed to not sink at all. Really hard to land without spoilers. After that I went back to flying Gentle Ladies.. They would thermal nice and easy but I could maneuver and land them too. Sometimes even catching them
Sep 22, 2021, 11:14 AM
wow nice fast work, his one slipped right by me.... looking forwardt o this and your impression of doculam...ive read on it a bit in the past...

whats the one on the rght Jimmy, Super Sport? i dunno why, but im drawn to planes that look like that, classic sport planes
Sep 22, 2021, 11:49 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
i will definitely be adding spoilers and maybe flaps too. i love spoilers on my riser and heard the bot doesn't like to land.
Sep 22, 2021, 04:09 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
One complete wing. Just need some sanding love. really looking forward to seeing how she flys with a motor in the nose. hoping i can control her well enough to possibly fly at the end of my garage. as long as she has good rudder authority i might give it a shot... after... i get her maiden and shake down flights in a nice big field.
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 22, 2021 at 09:25 PM.
Sep 22, 2021, 09:25 PM
i like that wing....you're making some good progress..
Sep 23, 2021, 05:57 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Nervous about the covering though. Never used this product. Trying to do research now.
Sep 23, 2021, 06:33 AM
did they give you sufficient covering incase you need to experiment.... .start low at low temp would be the only advice i could offer

im assuming its very light?

Quick Reply