Sep 21, 2021, 01:50 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Want to Try FPV Again... Maybe.

So I started trying FPV about five years ago, and got some Skyzone V2 goggles, which I still have. I was buying these and those FPV bits and bobs from BG, but ultimately I faded off of FPV because it was all too chaotic for me - these antennas and those VTXs and nothing was ever plug and play etc etc.. You had to fiddle with these cables because this plug didn't work with that other component, and so on. I know many people will say that's just the way it is, but what I'm basically asking is, has it gotten any easier?

I think I would generally prefer plane FPV, but realize a quad would be easier. I have a Mavic Mini 2, and it's great for what it is, but I want something faster and more exciting, with goggles. I have some nice rolling landscapes out here, and would like to be able to get some decent low level footage over them - with DJI-esque stability. I kind of think a quad would make more sense, just because of taking off and landing. So what would be a good quad for decent speed AND flight time (10-15 minutes would be enough..), but which is also relatively easy to set up - and affordable(The DHI FPV quad with goggles is too pricey...)? I got annoyed with all the component recommendations back in the day, because it was never clear enough which antenna for the goggles matched which antenna on the model and so on. Right hand, left hand, and on and on. I have a box full of all that old FPV paraphernalia, and still no clue what matches what to be honest.. I would also prefer to avoid soldering if at all possible - especially anything as minute as an FC. So I don't know - does that just leave the DJI FPV system? Or is there some BNF (Frsky) quad available at BG for ex. nowadays, which is basically ready to go (and easy to set up)? Or, what would be a good FPV solution given what I want to do - and don't want to do? Or is there one? Thanks...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2021, 06:48 AM
Beach Bum
I feel the same way, plug and play or I donít want it.
Here is what Iím looking at for airplanes..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114231743019
Name: AC285FC6-FE14-4C79-832C-8FB1F22F16C7.jpeg
Views: 9
Size: 35.1 KB
Description:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31309368120...Cclp%3A2047675

Name: FC1D29A4-7B27-4A79-8763-6E6ECF1E2A17.jpeg
Views: 7
Size: 24.3 KB
Description:
Sep 21, 2021, 06:54 AM
Thread OP
I've tried a bunch of those little cheap all-in-one units,and not with success... The antennas are usually super fragile, and the last one I had, a 25mw, was totally useless. Nearly lost my Z-84 at like 80 yards...

The best thing I have is an FPV dock for a Runcam 1. It's the only plug n' play solution I have found, and works pretty well.. BUT, flying FPV at all without a RTH or altitude hold or something is just duper dodgy. If the FPV connection goes down, bye bye airplane, and to me that is not an acceptable outcome... Sssssoooo, you need an FC. And they just seem awfully complicated to setup, tune, fiddle with, etc etc...
Sep 21, 2021, 07:11 AM
Beach Bum
I have super cool plane for FPV that has a parachute system designed into it. Lose sight or signal, pop the chute. Camera location is a special recess in nose, just below spinner. FPV system not included.
Supposedly a autopilot is in the works also. Functions are, loiter and self land.
Full interior lighting for flying LOS in darkness, folding prop, removable gear for belly landing.
HSD Jets S60 with gyro. $150 from BannanaHobby.
Name: 0C475047-80BA-4AA3-9309-30B7C259B697.jpeg
Views: 10
Size: 246.3 KB
Description: Name: AFD38B1D-8B83-44E9-AC92-F6D827345F74.jpeg
Views: 9
Size: 392.9 KB
Description: . Name: 25E5EA49-6F4D-4421-AF55-6C3D3FB3C8DF.jpeg
Views: 8
Size: 286.0 KB
Description:

Name: 0463C87A-F707-447F-B21A-7A9D81CE341A.jpeg
Views: 7
Size: 273.0 KB
Description:
Last edited by SteveFlysloco; Sep 22, 2021 at 02:57 AM.
Sep 21, 2021, 12:18 PM
How about the PnP FPV version of the ZOHD Drift, with Kopilot.
Easy build, has basic RTL capability.
Sep 21, 2021, 04:53 PM
fly by night
The only clear choice is to go with DJI. DJI FPV system. You can get it all with the DJI FPV drone, or with any numbder of plug and play Betaflight based drones on the market today.

With DJI you pretty much do not have to even think about antennas and components any more. it just works, penetrates better, is decent latency, and is the only choice with vivid HD videolink to wide FOV goggles.

Also, with DJI and multirotors, you do not need to commit to a heavy dangerous 5 inch drone any more. There are plenty of sub250g options which fly way better than any 5 inch drone did 5 years ago. Also give you flexbility of long raneg long flights on li-ion packs, or lighter weight more freestyle-ish flying on lighter lipo packs. This Flywoo explorer quad has been the most popular quad for the last year or so, and comes with DJI HD as an option. GPS with RTH std.

KING of Under 250g Long Range KWADs // Flywoo Explorer LR 🔥🔥🔥 (23 min 30 sec)

Fly For 30 Minutes? Flywoo Explorer LR - Setup, Review & Flight Footage (13 min 14 sec)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 21, 2021 at 05:02 PM.
Sep 21, 2021, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. I have a few of those old 5-inch quads with Betamax(which I haven't even looked at in five years ha ha...) I guess I could go back and figure BM out again.

But ouch, looks like the DJI goggles would be a must? Expensive...

I like the looks of the quad though... Except having to get different size props, and probably lipos.. I have one 4S 1000, which is barely used but probably five years old...

Is there no easy way to get something like that to work with my Skyzone V2s? Without having to dive down a rabbit hole and figure out which antennas go where etc etc...? Or is a rock solid FPV connection just not possible with something like that? I simply can't accept anything less than a perfect FPV feed if I am going to do it. Momentary signal loss is unacceptable to me - I guess I am too crash and model-loss averse.... Thanks again.
Sep 21, 2021, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Steve, I can't imagine flying that parachute plane near the - windy - beach... If you were far away and lost your FPV signal, no telling where the wind would take the plane with its parachute deployed...

I do like the idea of a plane for FPV, but they have serious drawbacks - namely needing a place to land(no prob for you on the beach, but here everything is farmland of forest, and a nice landing grass patch is hard to find...), then there is the noise, as most are pushers, and the faster the louder of course.. Not that quads are totally silent. But a fast pusher plane is too much - if you want to fly within a mile of anybody ha ha...

I have the AR Wing Pro, and just fly it LOS. But man it is wobbly all over the place. I don't have an FC in it, but I do have an NX3 stab in it, which is basically useless. It wobbles all over the place. Putting a Firefly Q6 in it is pointless. Video footage is unwatchable. Somebody recommended the DJI Osmo Action cam, and as far as I understand so far, the cam itself can stabilize the video pretty well? Getting stabilized video on the AR Wing Pro would be a start. Then I would have to figure out FPV. But yeah, if DJI is the solution, well that's a pretty hefty price... But good to know.
Sep 22, 2021, 04:02 PM
fly by night
Best plane in the last 4 years is the Strix Nanogoblin:
- small. typical build is about 250 grams with long range capability
- not too slow. cruises at 70kph, stalls at 30kph. max about 100 without mods. record is like 160mph=250kph lol (heavily modded to get over 120kph
- duration: designed around a 2S 18650 pack, which will typically deliver one hour or more of endurance.
- It's genius is the ultra efficiency and slipperiness of the design. Very thin and little drag.
- Silent. It is one step away from a glider. Generally can't be heard from more than 200ft away
- inexpensive. OK the kit itself costs more than the chinese alternatives, but it also outperforms them. But the electronics and batteries are really inexpensive and easy to DIY
- somewhat aerobatic, yank and bank like a wing (but it is technically a plank). Useful for thermalling too. As an EPP lightweight it is harmless and faily cash resistant to just plunk down on rocks or into a bush if need be
- Easy to launch. This is not like a heavy wing, as so many of them are a pita to launch.

I've built 4 of them after building maybe 50 other FPV plalnes. last 2 years 98% of my flying has been with a nanogoblin as I live in forested area in suburbs .

It's not a ripping barn burner nor is it a cargo mule, but it flies better than a 600 gram Easystar would have a decade ago. Many of us have built it with DJI DH link, iNAV full suite of OSD and autopilot/nav, Crossfire/R9 long range RC, at around 250 grams. I have put it inside a med size suitcase to take on the airlines a few times, whole.

here are the records:

https://www.readymaderc.com/pages/st...-tds-challenge

one of the posters on here made this video for ya. common to use a INsta36Go or Go2 on these planes, as seen here:

Have Nano Goblin, Will Travel (3 min 19 sec)

Giz has this vid, and a detailed build video too. though the 2.4G analog video is probably not necessary, but DJI won't go out that far

🛩️ Strix Nano Goblin - FuriousFPV Stealth 2.4ghz VTX (7 min 35 sec)

Nano Goblin at Mattterhorn (2 min 30 sec)

here's mine - a typical DJI build with the CaddxVista dji/cam combo. a F411wing FC. stock motor and esc. Crossfire. mount for Go camera. I've put up to 7,000mah 2S li-ion pack in it for easy fast cruising over an hour nonstop

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 22, 2021 at 04:11 PM.
Sep 22, 2021, 10:52 PM
You have a mini 2? Then the MovieMask will work
https://moviemask.io/
Put your cellphone in and it does quite well w/no lag as compared to other methods.
The DJI FPV goggles give me the best picture (IMHO) and you can put air units in other FPV aircraft. I've converted a number of my shorter range FPVs to the Air Unit.
Oct 09, 2021, 12:01 PM
Trying to get back into fpv will certainly not be easier with a quad. You want to go fast, an AR wing should be pretty quick and the are really easy to get fpv gear into.

Yeah the DJI setup is more expensive, but you just put power to it and it works. Has long range and good penetration. And depending what camera it has attached, the best video quality available. It also records the video on an SD card on the goggles. The Air units have an SD card as well and it records the raw stuff mage from the camera.

A simple 5.8ghz setup for a plane isn’t that difficult these days. A Tx, camera, and a matching set of antenna will get you there. 3 wires to the camera, power wires from the Tx to a battery or battery balance plug and off you go.

You will want to get a simple flight controller at some point. As stated before, a return home feature is priceless. If your video fails at a bad time you just flip the switch and it comes home so you can LOS it to landing.

Been doing fpv for about 9 years. I’ve had expensive stuff and cheap stuff. Planes, quads, even tri-copters. Planes is my favorite, we do full contact combat with our nano goblins.

The advice you get in these forums are from guys that have experience and really want you to succeed to the point of addiction.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.
Oct 10, 2021, 06:06 PM
fly by night
quads can be pretty easy. I'd start with a 1S whoop size quad though. slow and predictable and harmless and able to fly in backyards or school yards. 40 or 50 grams all up weight yet they can handle some wind. They have full Betaflight firmware, with custom OSD on analog fpv. Just use horizon or angle modes to start. A hundred bucks plug and play. Or for maybe twice teh price a 100 gram whoop with DJI FPV on it. Or even a 250g Explorer class.

Quick Reply