Sep 20, 2021, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fusion360, I am finally getting it!

I have a laser and have been using a 2D CAD to draw parts, but this gets tedious and requires attention to measurements. I often found that I wouldn't quite get things right on the first try. I think its easier to assure part fits and accuracy when the model is built in 3D.

I spent a bunch of time going through tutorials and even spent time with boat tutorials. Although, there are lots of good tutorials out there, I found they either didn't directly apply to model building and manufacturing or they showed overly complex structures being designed. I did find a tutor and spent some money learning some more applicable techniques to what I'm trying to do.

After messing with it, on and off, for a little over a year. The light bulb turned on and methods for accomplishing whatever given task seems easy.

I wonder if others have had a similar experience and just gave up, and how many persevered and finally made it to the light?

I'm thinking of making some tutorial videos that focus on model airplanes. Starting with teaching basic functions with simple hand chuck gliders and then moving on to more complex structures. If anyone is interested.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2021, 02:35 AM
Definitely interested . Too much assumed knowledge on the available youtube videos that try to teach Fusion 360.
Sep 21, 2021, 06:58 AM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplewave
... If anyone is interested.
Please!! I'm interested!!
Sep 21, 2021, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Awesome, I’ll start on the first installment this week.
Sep 21, 2021, 04:24 PM
Something like this?

How To Start Designing RC Airplanes in Fusion 360 Tutorial [Episode 1] (23 min 47 sec)
Sep 21, 2021, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
No, nothing like that. That's a very complex structure and most people aren't going to design and build such a thing. Im looking at a much simpler and gradual approach to use Fusion.
Sep 23, 2021, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren Vedel
Something like this?

https://youtu.be/_7vmUEARiYE
That guy teaches a lot of secrets and ways to overcome difficult situations with very nice workarounds. Worth watch.
Sep 23, 2021, 07:57 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren Vedel
Something like this?

https://youtu.be/_7vmUEARiYE
That's a great video. It's got me fired up to watch his other ones and try Fusion 360. Thanks for posting it, Søren.

For the OP ripplewave, please show us your tips too, since if Fusion 360 is anything like 2D CAD, there are lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Steve
Sep 23, 2021, 10:21 AM
This guy also teaches some tricks to draw in Fusion 360. It's a multi part instructional video worth watching.

how to design viper jet mk2 on fusion 360 part 1 (30 min 9 sec)
Sep 23, 2021, 10:22 AM
I also suggest to watch this series of videos.

How to Model an Aircraft in Fusion 360 | Tutorial 1 - Setup | Step-by-Step (4K) (26 min 40 sec)
Sep 25, 2021, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Ricardo RW;47868507]I also suggest to watch this series of videos.

Im not sure you get it. Ive watched all those and they werent a lot of help. Again, starting with simpler structures is the way to learn how to use Fusion for modelers. Maybe you can design an airliner, but I never wanted to.
Sep 25, 2021, 11:43 PM
Fortis Atque Fidelis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplewave
Awesome, I’ll start on the first installment this week.
Yes, please.
Sep 26, 2021, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
Here is the first video, showing my workflow for a simple balsa glider. More to come next week.
Fusion360 Balsa Sheet Model (27 min 6 sec)
Sep 28, 2021, 01:25 PM
that's gonna hurt...
Thanks for the video. Like you I'm a long time 2D CAD user, and about 2 years into 3D CAD - I learned stuff from your video. I'll be back for the next one.
Sep 28, 2021, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01
Thanks for the video. Like you I'm a long time 2D CAD user, and about 2 years into 3D CAD - I learned stuff from your video. I'll be back for the next one.
Awesome, I’m glad I could help!

Quick Reply