Sep 20, 2021, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Crescent EDF nurflügel

hello folks,

There I share an experimental nurflügel prototype i just finished making. It consists of a 1,3mm CF rod and Skytex Membrane therefore being very light and aerolastic. I think this shape may have interesting aerodynamic implications. Maidenflight soon
Last edited by Dantiel; Sep 21, 2021 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2021, 05:31 PM
Thread OP

Crescent EDF flying wing TestFlight 21.09.21

Crescent EDF flying wing TestFlight 21.09.21 (0 min 42 sec)

Control by wing morphing is still insufficient and responding too slow. Flight performance seems ok.

Wingspan: 472mm
motor: 30mm EDF
control: 2x EMAX 9051
lipo: 2S 180mah
weight: 60g

do you have ideas for improvement of control ?
Sep 23, 2021, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantiel
hello folks,

There I share an experimental nurflügel prototype i just finished making. It consists of a 1,3mm CF rod and Skytex Membrane therefore being very light and aerolastic. I think this shape may have interesting aerodynamic implications. Maidenflight soon
be interested.
The moon and flexible morphing wings are innovative.
Sep 23, 2021, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by y.takahashi
be interested.
The moon and flexible morphing wings are innovative.
thank you. but i must find how control can be improved, maybe requires stronger servos.. another consideration is to use two EDF on the outer "arms" of the crescent
Sep 23, 2021, 07:27 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Very cool. I build most of my rc planes with cf rod and fabric.

Definitely like the look if this.
Oct 01, 2021, 03:02 PM
B for Bruce
It looks to be suffering from the lack of any vertical tail. For giggles you might try adding one or two vertical surfaces that are well behind the CG and see if that stops some of the more radical yawing diversions. If it does help then work at reducing the size to see how little you can get away with while still helping out.

A VERY cool and innovative concept though. And being so innovative you're certainly in the right sub forum! I'm looking forward to more results.
Oct 08, 2021, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
@BMatthews theres no YAW instability in this plane, because EDF unit is much at front, and the "wingtips/winglets" are so much aft that a vertical tail is not needed

i tried today move battery more behind which gave more elevon authority and had few more sustained flied, i start to feel this shape may have interesting abilities . but in general the plane is behaving very sluggish especially at higher speed control is almost unresponsive and membrane easily starts to flutter.

at the moment i see different options to improve this. either use another CF ring to stop flutter and also cause better response to control input... the other idea is to rebuild the plane by using EPP, which is in general a better match to an EDF unit... but i dont know how wing morphing can work on 3mm EPP..

also i envision another version of this with an EDF unit on each side, fused into the wing, for differential thrust at its best

Quick Reply