Sep 20, 2021, 04:25 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Pretty decent and get better after running a battery through it. No diffs btw.
I was surprised at the quality of the King Kong product. Chassis and cab are beautiful.
Found the part on Ebay. Seller has a bunch of items.

Darrin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14358084173...QAAOSwrGpelWre

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14280809600...8AAOSwqSJbaQkp
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2021, 09:26 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Working on the basic hull layout now. I'm still not sure how I'll build it this time... maybe plywood again, but it sure would be a neat metal working project! If only I had the tools...

A lot of models miss some subtle features of the DUKW:
- The hull is actually wedge shaped, tapered in the profile view. It's hard to see this in photos which are almost always at some angle.
- There's a deadrise angle running along the side of the hull, which wraps all the way up the flat bow, Italeri even missed this at the bow.

Italeri also missed the width of the hull... they took the dimension "D" (98 inch), which is overall including the hoisting loops, and applied it to the hull proper. A too fat DUKW!
Sep 23, 2021, 02:33 AM
If your going this far in CAD modeling it then why not 3d print it ? There are plenty of reasonably priced printers now and you'd get all the detail you want, you might have to make it in sections but it's worth thinking about.
I did a 1/12th universal carrier 3d printed that I'm really pleased with . https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...arrier-Project
Last edited by dadio; Sep 23, 2021 at 03:24 AM.
Sep 23, 2021, 11:30 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Looks good.
This beast has a 12x46" footprint, that'd be a lot of printing. But I may do as I did on another build, where I printed some of the complicated shapes with flanges to join to a wood structure. Stuff like the wheel wells, drive shaft tunnels...

Sep 23, 2021, 11:05 PM
Do it in styrene.
.060 and .080 for most of the hull. Print some of the round parts. That keeps you out of wood grain, glassing, sanding and most importantly, the numerous through hull holes needed for the drivetrain. A very easy part to get water intrusion with a wood hull. Scoring and breaking plastic is also much easier with all the straight lines on this model.

This is basically an armor model and no one builds tank models with wood. Weld on for the cohesive bond. Very strong. Gel super glue for the simulated welds.
Model below is scratch built out of styrene and plex for the fenders.

DH
Sep 23, 2021, 11:28 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
It is just a big tub... shame not to beat it out of metal...

Sep 24, 2021, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Looks good.
This beast has a 12x46" footprint, that'd be a lot of printing. But I may do as I did on another build, where I printed some of the complicated shapes with flanges to join to a wood structure. Stuff like the wheel wells, drive shaft tunnels...

Id not really appreciated the size of what you had in mind that would be a lot of printing !
Sep 24, 2021, 11:16 AM
That is bigger than I imagined. Maybe 1/8" and 3/16"styrene for the hull if it were me.

DH
Sep 24, 2021, 11:31 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
That's why I like plywood- easy to work and join, way stiffer than plastic. I coat plywood with resin, no glass needed, and sheath it in 0.020" styrene.
Oct 04, 2021, 02:19 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
I put off this project for years, because I had no confidence in getting decent tires. But now, thanks to cheap 3d printers, I have a set of 1:8 rubber!
One tire is printed directly, the others are urethane rubber molded in a hard shell printed mold.
Wheels are all printed, and the axles are coming along too as prints,

Oct 09, 2021, 02:04 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
First fit up of the driven front axle. Using Traxxas parts for the guts, as they're big, strong, and widely available.

DUKW Axle test (0 min 24 sec)

Oct 09, 2021, 10:11 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
And here's that t-case. Printed case with machined bores, steel Mod 1 gears, two output shafts and one forward output (one to each axle), ball bearings, 1.87:1 ratio.
Runs smooth, no binding, yay!

DUKW Transfer Case Test (0 min 33 sec)
Oct 10, 2021, 03:09 AM
Looks really good ! What resin was it printed in ?
Oct 10, 2021, 11:01 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Thx.
Siraya Tech ABS-Like. Most any good resin will do when the parts are chunky like this. My walls are 2mm minimum.
But it's unlikely that you can just print ready-to-use parts. Just like castings, these require machining for precision fits.
Oct 10, 2021, 03:57 PM
I like the Siraya tech resins , mixing 20% Blue in with the ABS like makes for a robust mix , I could never get engineering precise prints with resin like you can from FDM either , very much nicer looking though.

Quick Reply