Sep 17, 2021, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Larry Jolly XC Comet ?

I just purchased a XC Comet. It is bigger than listed. It was listed as 156 and 165Ē span. Itís really 186.5Ē span. Itís really more than I expected but Iíll see if I can get it in the air. I like the fact that itís also set up for aero town center I figure out how it works.

It has FP S134 and S34 servos that have a larger torque rating 170 oz in. The wires do not look like they can carry much current. I am trying to figure out how much current is needed to be supplied.

Iíll have to replace the connectors as these are wired back wards for power and have different connectors.

The glider looks to be in good shape for its age. Hope the covering tightens up.

I also need to know what cg is. Without a battery the cg seems a little far back.

Art
Last edited by old1104; Sep 17, 2021 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Add picture
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2021, 09:30 AM
How about a few pics of the plane and the els? For sure if all old els I would replace all components.
Sep 17, 2021, 09:21 PM
Balsa breaks better
You could get a hold of Larry here on the groups, he goes by his name . . . ;>)

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Sep 18, 2021, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for comments

Well I’m going to do some rewiring. The pins in the inner wing connection have gotten loose and slide in when the wing is assembled.

The elevator servo is bad. I do not know the loads for the servos but I guess I’ll stick with high load servos but 170 oz in seems high but the speed will be high and the surfaces are large. I hope the wing servos are good.

I was worried about how many amps the servo pull but it can not be to much as the wires are small and will not carry much.

So far the covering is tighten up nicely. I wonder how old the covering is.

Art
Sep 21, 2021, 06:47 AM
Second hand planes always need to be stripped down and checked over. You never know what is under there or the build quality. I am working on restoring an Aquila Grande. I knew the stab had some broken ribs but once I got into it found the rudder was also busted, leading edges were not shaped correctly, and one of the wing tubes was put in incorrectly and was creating all sorts of problems.
Last edited by Gratter; Sep 21, 2021 at 02:25 PM.
Oct 15, 2021, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
I’ve decided to fly the glider after I replace the elevator servo and replacing the wing connectors. Still hoping to get the cg and basic set up for control surfaces.
Oct 16, 2021, 07:29 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Very nice pickup!
If you don't get an answer from Larry about balance run the wings and tails through Sailplane Calc and specify at 5% static margin on the Balance tab and it'll be safe for a first flight. Then you can fine tune the balance inflight.
http://tailwindgliders.com/Files.html

Curtis
Oct 18, 2021, 04:36 PM
Master of the Wind
For a design like that 38% of the root chord is conservative. You can start there and move the CG back as you get comfortable with it.
Oct 18, 2021, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks

I’m playing on using a 5amp bec that handles spikes up to 10 amps.

Art

Quick Reply