Sep 23, 2021, 10:58 AM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I think that the went to Old School with a rubber band wing mount.

They should have modernized it a little by adding bolt-on wing and sheet metal landing gear with a tail dragger option. I always hated those wire landing gear that got spread out after a new flights. They also make it bounce more on landings when they spread out. Now days most want a more sporty tail dragger look and batter landing gear. .
Never thought of a taildragger as more sporty, I always thought it was the other way around to be honest. Trike gear always looks more streamlined, modern, and I guess overall more sporty. It would be easy to make the change, along with a bolt on wing.

Never really thought aluminum landing gear had a big advantage over the wire gear. The wire gear looks right on the Falcon considering all versions had it. The only aluminum landing gear that offered a big advantage was made by Hallco, it was the best by far.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2021, 11:01 AM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
I actually went the other way and converted a few planes that were designed with bolt on wings, back to rubber bands. There ARE situations, designs and circumstances where this has an edge over bolt-on, no matter how slick and sleek that looks
I remember when bolt-on wings were getting popular. The advertisement was "break away bolts" in crashes helped minimize the damage. More times than not the model would be destroyed and the nylon bolts were still holding a small piece of wing to the fuse mounts.
Sep 23, 2021, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
I remember when bolt-on wings were getting popular. The advertisement was "break away bolts" in crashes helped minimize the damage. More times than not the model would be destroyed and the nylon bolts were still holding a small piece of wing to the fuse mounts.
Exactly...
Sep 28, 2021, 08:56 PM
AMA 910957
The Falcon 56 was my first R/C build and flying model back in the mid-70s. I have a kit from the same era, NIB (new in box) that I plan to electric power.

EJ
Sep 29, 2021, 08:05 AM
My first real proportional 4 channel radio was an MRC. I don't think Futaba was around yet. When I saw the new Futaba 4 channel, a brand new one went into one of my earliest RC planes in my flying memory, a 4 channel Falcon 56..... sometime in the early 70's.

Nice to see that kit available....
Oct 03, 2021, 10:51 PM
If by Rudyard Kipling
I convert all my planes to nylon bolts. Can't remember a broken wing related issue for that preference. A crash is going to wipe out the nose of the fuselage first anyway if not total the whole fuselage. Graves RC has a wall of just wings. Pretty hard to fly them without a fuselage.

I have two Falcon 56 planes, one is red and white with a HP Silverline 40 (Hirtenberger). I picked that up here years ago for $75, and this one in the photo, came home with a four plane package deal. It sports a OS SF 40 on it, but it was locked up. I just took it out of the toaster oven, set on Bagel. Now it turns over just fine after adding some oil, it's ready to mount back on. I got lucky. Sometimes, on really stubborn engines, I have to set the oven to frozen waffle!
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Oct 04, 2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: show pictures or it didn't happen
Oct 03, 2021, 11:17 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Little butter and maple and you're ready to go
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Oct 05, 2021, 11:36 AM
A man with too many toys
OSMW Fifty Six (glow powered demo flight) (3 min 57 sec)

Look at the video and you will see why I don't like soft wire landing gear. They spread on landing making the AOA go up and cause it to bounce. With trike gear you want it to have a negative AOA so it will stick and not bounce.

If I get one I would modify the main gear mount and use sheet metal or DuBro composite main landing gear.

Oct 05, 2021, 12:58 PM
If by Rudyard Kipling
Or low bounce foam wheels?
Oct 05, 2021, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
Or low bounce foam wheels?
I always go low bounce on a model like this (sport model).
Oct 05, 2021, 02:17 PM
A man with too many toys
Do those kits come with wheels?
Oct 05, 2021, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
I need to stop reading my own post. I really want one of these models. Problem is I have 5 kits stored back now. And a couple more I want besides this one. But i figure you can't have too many kits around. Right? When I started RC way back around 1978 my uncle who talked me into coming to his flying field had a Falcon 56 with a K&B 40 on it. That was a nice flying plane and looked great. He wasn't a great pilot but the man could build and would cover the models to look just like the box top. He built a Top Flight Freshman for my dad that looked just like the picture on the box but a radio glitch from an EK radio did it in. My dad loved that plane and never flew again.

I would probably leave it a tricycle gear set up but for sure would convert to bolt on wings. And like another poster said I would get rid of the wire main gear and make a new main gear from the aluminum sheet I have on hand. I have cut out about 5-6 main gear from that piece of aluminum. Its an .080 thick tempered aluminum from Aircraft Spruce my bud gave me left over from his full size airplane build.
Oct 05, 2021, 03:31 PM
If by Rudyard Kipling
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlesontom
I really want one of these models. Problem is I have 5 kits stored back now. And a couple more I want besides this one. But i figure you can't have too many kits around. Right?
I did my best to try to deplete an excess of RCG purchases I made over the years, and to only keep what I fly.
I can't seem to do it. Is there a pill for that? So don't feel the slightest bit out of place with five. I recently read a guy has 65 ready to fly airplanes on this forum, and I was quite relieved to see I am holding very modest numbers in comparison.

Someone actually could start a thread about the "how many" topic,
and add a poll question, "Did replying to this airplane count thread trigger the fight that led to your divorce, yes or no?"
Oct 05, 2021, 03:53 PM
A man with too many toys
You never know how long a company is going to be making kits. Best to stock up while they are available.

The Falcon 56 is a popular classis design so you will always be able to sell it if you decide not to build.

Oct 05, 2021, 04:27 PM
If by Rudyard Kipling
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
You never know how long a company is going to be making kits. Best to stock up while they are available.

The Falcon 56 is a popular classic design so you will always be able to sell it if you decide not to build.
Remember when tower hobbies brought back the ultra sport 40 and 60 kits and for a limited time you could buy those kits again? Then the ARF 46, also a short lived opportunity.
So it stands to reason this will be also short lived, not that it's connected to Horizon in any way.

Additional items needed to complete the Fifty Six kit:
• Propeller
• Engine/Motor mount & mounting hardware
• “Y” servo harness (for ailerons)
• Pushrods (two 5” for ailerons, two 26” for elevator & rudder, one 14" for nose gear, one 10” for throttle if glow powered)
• Clevises for the pushrods (10 if electric, 12 if glow).
• Wheels: one 2.25" nose, two 2.5” mains
• Covering (typically 2 rolls)

Quick Reply