This thread is privately moderated by Old_Pilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 15, 2021, 07:29 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Thread OP
Gallery

Alternate covering

Mike,

I've used vellum (tracing paper) to cover a few of my birds (Alvin, Clearprint, Helix, etc). It's a lot stronger that tissue, but not as strong as Mylar, has no directional grain so it shrinks uniformly, and it accepts paint readily.

You can also use brown paper, but it's heavy. I've never tried the iron on fabrics, though lots of people have had great success with it
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Sep 15, 2021 at 07:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2021, 02:53 PM
How well does it conform to solid surfaces? Nice finish on that plane too.
Sep 16, 2021, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneblueyedog
How well does it conform to solid surfaces? Nice finish on that plane too.
By "solid" do you mean a skinned fuselage or wing? If so, unfortunately, I don't know how the paper would conform. But, covering small
areas at a time might work...wish I could be more help

On second thought, I've covered foam with brown paper..but I had to put it on wet....pain in the back side
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Sep 16, 2021 at 06:45 AM.
Today, 08:59 AM
Modeling Masochist
How did you shrink it, with heat, or chemically (Dope, etc.)?
Today, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
misted it with water and then used a hair drier
Latest blog entry: Alternate covering

Quick Reply