Sep 14, 2021, 04:40 PM
Burning & Turning
Thread OP
Discussion

Six Servo Wing set up suggestions

Hi,

I am setting up my first glider with a six servo wing and I’m looking for the preferred set up.

I currently fly my other gliders using crow braking via the throttle stick and camber & reflex via switches. Because this model has airbrake/ spoilers fitted in addition to flap & ailerons, what is the preferred method of deployment.

1. Airbrake Only
2. Airbrake & flaps
3. Airbrake & crow.

Appreciate the advice

Cheers
Jus
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2021, 05:38 PM
I think it would depend on just how powerful the air brakes are, and just how steeply you need to come down. If they are just on the top, they may pitch the nose down. You could make up for that with mixing some up elevator with the spoilers, or with the flaps, or a little of both. I once had a model with a t-tail and spoilers that didn't change pitch when the spoilers were deployed.

I've never had a model with flaps and spoilers. If I did, I might set up the flaps for only moderate travel, relying on the spoilers when landing. This would make the flap servo more powerful.
Sep 14, 2021, 07:20 PM
I have my spoilers activated by the throttle stick in all three flight modes, but flaps become mixed 1:1 with spoilers in landing mode only. Fortunately they also cancel out each others pitch inducing tendencies so it makes for an airbrake function with almost zero pitch trim corrections. I rarely use spoilers by themselves in cruise or speed mode but I could if I really need to assuming the airspeed isn't somewhere on the warp scale.

Some people like flaps on a separate channel altogether but the mix works great on my big scale bird. Simplifies things too when you have to worry about half a dozen other functions during approach in a 15 channel glider. I even mix main gear wheel brakes to spoilers and flaps as well.
Sep 15, 2021, 12:39 AM
Burning & Turning
Thread OP
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated Gents!

I will program in some down flap with the spoiler deployment and dial it in during some test flights.

Quick Reply