RC Drift Car Skills Video

RC Drifting is a niche segment of the ground based RC hobby and its becoming more and more popular.

Splash

Can You Drift Your RC Car?

RC Drifting is a niche segment of the ground based RC hobby and its becoming more and more popular. The cars are setup not to go fast, but to be very agile and controllable while drifting. I've tried it before and it's not an easy skill to learn. That makes me appreciate the video below. There are some impressive driving skills on display with precision maneuvers and a creative use of scale traffic cones, wheels and more.

What's your ideal RC drift car setup look like?

Rc drift car tiktok (0 min 31 sec)

Sep 14, 2021, 09:32 AM
The video above is clearly inspired by DRIFT44's stunts - https://www.youtube.com/c/DRIFT44/videos
Sep 14, 2021, 10:01 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Sick!
Sep 21, 2021, 05:46 AM
As someone who's been out of RC racing for a while, can you explain how drifting works in competition? it appears the cars are deliberately setup with massive oversteer to make them drift. This looks good fun but it's not the fastest way around the track. What stops someone setting their car up to handle in a more neutral manner and winning races by a huge margin?
Sep 21, 2021, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbertd
As someone who's been out of RC racing for a while, can you explain how drifting works in competition? it appears the cars are deliberately setup with massive oversteer to make them drift. This looks good fun but it's not the fastest way around the track. What stops someone setting their car up to handle in a more neutral manner and winning races by a huge margin?
Just an example of rules - https://www.ifmar.org/wp-content/upl...Rules%20V1.pdf

Paragraphs 11 (solo) and 12 (tandem); also previous paragraphs for setup restrictions.

Overall, it is similar to how full-scale drift comps are held. Take a look here (russian YouTube channel with amazing production quality; so, turn on closed captions for english translation) featuring russian drifters:
ГОЧА / ЯПОНИЯ 🔥 - 5 лет спустя (42 min 23 sec)
Last edited by Moonzy; Sep 21, 2021 at 08:22 AM.
Today, 06:38 AM
I get it now. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that drift competition is all about judging style, rather than a first across the line race. I guess you could set up a car to reduce its oversteer, but then you'd do very badly when it comes to style points!
Today, 08:43 AM
Yes, you are correct. Typically, you want to be faster with a good entry speed while holding higher angle. Speed will help you pull away from your opponent if you are leading, or get closer to your opponent when you are following.

Quick Reply