Sep 13, 2021, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I don't want to paint my blades.... BUT!!

I'm trying to find a set of white blades to go with my EC-145 from Roban via Motion RC.

All the white blades I see are not pure white and most have a various designs in different colors on them.

I'm contemplating painting them if I have too..

How can you have a scale heli if the blades are off..

Does anyone know where I can purchase 600-700mm white carbon blades??

Thx

Ken
Last edited by Kholder116; Sep 13, 2021 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2021, 08:09 PM
Have you tried RC Aerodybe? They might have what you`re looking for.

https://www.scaleflying.com/
Sep 13, 2021, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geena
Have you tried RC Aerodybe? They might have what you`re looking for.

https://www.scaleflying.com/
Thx.. great site but they don't have...
Sep 14, 2021, 05:52 PM
What's your problem with painting them? I used Tamiya spray paint on mine. If things go horribly wrong you can easily remove all the paint with acetone.
Sep 14, 2021, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Lol.. I may have too. I'm concerned about weight issues. What do you do. Do you sand them first and what grit do you use.? do you spray them lengthwise or across the cord. Also what are you finishing them with , a clear code or a flat?
Sep 17, 2021, 03:12 AM
Just remember that you will move the blade chord-wise C of G back slightly. I would happily just shoot a coat all over and it's probably like a 99% chance that it won't make any difference, or you at least won't notice any but if you want 100% you may want to put 2 coats on the front 1/3 of the blade followed by 1 coat over the whole blade. this will keep the weight distribution across the blade width equal to what it was.

As I said, I wouldn't bother but you mentioned weight....

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Sep 17, 2021, 05:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Just remember that you will move the blade chord-wise C of G back slightly. I would happily just shoot a coat all over and it's probably like a 99% chance that it won't make any difference, or you at least won't notice any but if you want 100% you may want to put 2 coats on the front 1/3 of the blade followed by 1 coat over the whole blade. this will keep the weight distribution across the blade width equal to what it was.

As I said, I wouldn't bother but you mentioned weight....

Paul
Thx and understood! Ques though...when you say "two coats on the front 1/3 of the blade". How are you segregating that 1/3...are you taping off the blades lengthwise, or just sighting and shooting, which may result in over lap.
Sep 21, 2021, 07:14 AM
RBW's sock puppet account.
What size heli?

I really donít see an even coat of paint effecting the blades in a noticeable way.
Sep 21, 2021, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisedbywolves
what size heli?

I really donít see an even coat of paint effecting the blades in a noticeable way.
600/700
Sep 21, 2021, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholder116
Thx and understood! Ques though...when you say "two coats on the front 1/3 of the blade". How are you segregating that 1/3...are you taping off the blades lengthwise, or just sighting and shooting, which may result in over lap.
Only done it a few times but I just sprayed 2 coats freehand (letting them 'tack-off') then a full coat all-over.

'yer pays 'yer money, 'yer takes 'yer chance.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Sep 24, 2021, 10:59 AM
RBW's sock puppet account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholder116
600/700
I would go with a vertical spray pattern while slowly rotating each blade. Same number of coats/strokes.

Canít think of a better word than strokes, but you get the idea.
Oct 01, 2021, 08:52 AM
The early worm gets eaten
I would sand (wear a mask, nothing to do with covid). Hang vertically with a coat hanger or wire so they cant spin. Make 3 passes on just the leading and trailing edges. This wastes a lot of paint but if you skip this you will end up with a black line on the edge. Then spray 2-3 coats over whole blades. You'll end up with 2-3 coats on blades and 5-6 coats on edges. Not a bad idea to weigh blades before and after, if they are out of balance by more than Delta weight/number of coats, add a coat to light blade, less, add white tape on CG of blade to balance. I would use auto paint.

Quick Reply