Sep 13, 2021, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Flying sites for RC gliders in the Los Angeles area

Does anyone know of a good flying site for high performance gliders near Los Angeles? In particular, I am looking for a site with a grass landing area. I tried Apollo field in the Sepulveda Basin. This site is located in the Van Nuys airport traffic area and has a hard flying ceiling of 250 ft, which makes it unsuitable. I also tried Paramount Ranch, which is good in terms of lift and ceiling, but has a horrible plowed-dirt landing area. Any other recommendations?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2021, 03:27 PM
Carbon is as Carbon does
Sep 13, 2021, 09:06 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/PV...8.4049076,164m

PV Cove used to be an amazing spot. The city cracked down way back when (link). On a strong wind day w/ crow brake, you can park a hotliner in a bush. You need AMA and the area has to be posted for RCs.

Hotliners in city parks are a bad idea. The Valley Division of the LAPD used to be responsive to complaints. Not sure how things are post-Covid. Topanga State Park works if you can hike.
Sep 13, 2021, 10:47 PM
If I lived in Palos Verdes and kept seeing dumb asses scaling my wall, fence, bushes, and trees to get into my backyard to retrieve their glider I would have banned them from flying too. We saw guys sloping behind the cliff face and get pushed up past the rode we parked on. Up and over the hill into dead air onto PCH. Imagine sight seeing or driving home down PCH at 45mph and WHAM an RC glider goes right into your windshield. It happened all the time.

500 feet of cliff and 1/4 mile of beach but no... lets fly behind us. Dumb asses.
Sep 14, 2021, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantra4
Does anyone know of a good flying site for high performance gliders near Los Angeles? In particular, I am looking for a site with a grass landing area. I tried Apollo field in the Sepulveda Basin. This site is located in the Van Nuys airport traffic area and has a hard flying ceiling of 250 ft, which makes it unsuitable. I also tried Paramount Ranch, which is good in terms of lift and ceiling, but has a horrible plowed-dirt landing area. Any other recommendations?
Look up SULA.CLUB
Soaring Union of Los Angeles
They fly in San Pedro at field of dreams
Mostly foam masters but it's a good safe field that has re opened for the club
I flew PV cove over the weekend
Still a good slope with an intermediate level landing zone that has been meticulously cleared by a few weekend regulars
Sep 14, 2021, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWS
If I lived in Palos Verdes and kept seeing dumb asses scaling my wall, fence, bushes, and trees to get into my backyard to retrieve their glider I would have banned them from flying too. We saw guys sloping behind the cliff face and get pushed up past the rode we parked on. Up and over the hill into dead air onto PCH. Imagine sight seeing or driving home down PCH at 45mph and WHAM an RC glider goes right into your windshield. It happened all the time.

500 feet of cliff and 1/4 mile of beach but no... lets fly behind us. Dumb asses.
PCH doesn't run through Palos Verdes.....
Sep 14, 2021, 06:19 PM
Whatever the main rode is. It's been 25 years since I lived down there. You know what I mean! You've seen it all friend.
Sep 14, 2021, 08:40 PM
Blue, your mission to turn the public against motorized gliders is at an end. You've been unmasked, you sob!
Sep 14, 2021, 11:06 PM
Carbon is as Carbon does
The OP asked about a field for high performance gliders, not motorized, and not slope.

From the two locations he listed, I'm guessing he's looking for something north of LA.

There's a DLG crew at El Dorado Park, it's a nice grass field.
But it's over 40 miles away from me, and I'm wagering I'm close to where the OP is.
Generally that's a minimum of an hour drive, and up to 2 hours during the day.

I'll let the OP confirm what general location he's after.
Sep 15, 2021, 09:47 AM
High Performance gliders.........
Sep 15, 2021, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatdog
The OP asked about a field for high performance gliders, not motorized, and not slope.

From the two locations he listed, I'm guessing he's looking for something north of LA.

There's a DLG crew at El Dorado Park, it's a nice grass field.
But it's over 40 miles away from me, and I'm wagering I'm close to where the OP is.
Generally that's a minimum of an hour drive, and up to 2 hours during the day.

I'll let the OP confirm what general location he's after.
I live in Pacific Palisades, on the West side of Los Angeles between Santa Monica and Malibu. I am looking for a place to fly my Amplitude hotliner.
Sep 15, 2021, 04:42 PM
All you got out there is the beach! I think you said you're flying it on 4s yeah? What's Point Dume like? Why not off that cliff face with the grass field behind you as a landing spot? Looks road accessible if there aren't signs restricting your entry.
Last edited by BlueWS; Sep 15, 2021 at 04:55 PM.
Sep 15, 2021, 06:13 PM
Carbon is as Carbon does
There is no grass field there.

The only grass fields around here are lawns of people's houses or businesses, baseball/football/soccer/etc sporting fields, golf courses and parks.
Sep 16, 2021, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantra4 View Post
ENCINO--Valley flyers BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apollo in the am is phenominal, no traffic, no 40 year old men punching fourth graders for flying an easyglider into a jet, and a 400 foot flight cieling loosly enforced by black and whites from the airport.

I feel your pain
I lived your pain
You will get used to Apollo and all it's glories. I miss it like crazy!
Sep 16, 2021, 07:55 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it
I miss it like crazy!
You miss being younger Rich.....
Old Yuri

Quick Reply