Sep 12, 2021, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ES 1.1m Sport plane posted

1.1m sport plane printed in LW PLA. Wanted a non-scale, good flying plane.

Modeled loosely referencing old EasyStreet kit 3 view , airfoil and structure is defined independently. Got some requests and posted on Cults3d with documents. Sorry it took long time.
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...2m-sport-plane

This plane is built as a one piece, non removable wing without landing gear.
Printed with LW PLA except motor mount. Need to slice with Cura. I built 3 so far, adding necessary reinforcement as it broke. A pair of 1.5-2mm carbon rods at the center of the wing makes it strong while light. It can sustain abrupt maneuvers like snap rolls.
Changed airfoil from NACA0012 to thinner NACA0010 for sharper snap entry. This plane is not good at post stall thus not suited for slow 3D flying.
Recommend a strong motor. With my current config, I can accelerate fast in vertical climb, can do a knife edge loop.
This is a belly lander without gear. Be careful to slow down well at landing to avoid prop strike. APC prop is easy to break, or use folding prop.
Parts are cut for large sized printers. You need to cut them to print.

Build manual is attached here.
3D Printed ES sport plane Insta360 Go ride
3D Printed ES sport plane Insta360 Go ride (3 min 58 sec)

LW PLA sport plane
LW PLA sport plane (5 min 13 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2021, 03:21 AM

Thank you!

Yes,

Another winter project!
Sep 13, 2021, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
Hope you like! Plane should be tough enough to withstand high power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 DDD
Yes,

Another winter project!
Sep 13, 2021, 10:59 AM
Ray
Awesome!
Sep 14, 2021, 02:12 AM

Looking for a mix

Started yesterday,

Just trying to get the "feeling" for this Cura design which I am printing out first with a tinkered S3D stuf, together with the Tiertime software for the Up Mini and Up Box+3D printers.

White PC ABS(0.4mm)and Red LW PLA(0.6mm) first!
Last edited by 3 DDD; Sep 14, 2021 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Extra photo
Sep 14, 2021, 03:53 AM
Thread OP
Wow exciting!

Most parts should be able to be sliced with other slicer, Cura surface mode is used only for main wings.

Quote:
Started yesterday,

Just trying to get the "feeling" for this Cura design which I am printing out first with a tinkered S3D stuf, together with the Tiertime software for the Up Mini and Up Box+3D printers.

White PC ABS(0.4mm)and Red LW PLA(0.6mm) first!
Sep 14, 2021, 06:32 AM

Understood....

Red LW parts and painted LW canopy will be cut and printed out with PC ABS too.
Sep 14, 2021, 06:46 AM
Thread OP
Quite fast printing! You have lots of printers.. Thank you for taking time to cut parts. I am lazy and some parts like fuse2 fits only large volume printer.

Any chance the motor is from HK EFXtra? I am using (crashed) EFXtra ESC on one of ES Sport. Makes sense fuse1 and 2 are printed strong. They keep structural strength with bottom half of closed tube. Fuse 4 should support horizontal well with lots of internal structure.
Sep 14, 2021, 07:01 AM

Thank you for your advice

Yes,

EF Xtra.
There is something about these racers I like very much!And yes,i am surrounded by 3D printers....HELP,ha ha ha
Last edited by 3 DDD; Sep 14, 2021 at 07:09 AM.
Sep 15, 2021, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
It is amazing you can maintain many (different type?) printers. I am having tough time to adjust 2 different models. Ended up to swap both to dual drive extruder. One is IDEX printer so 3 extruders.

That motor I drove 5s 2000mAh with APC 6.5x6.5. Did not burn at least.
Quote:
Yes,

EF Xtra.
There is something about these racers I like very much!And yes,i am surrounded by 3D printers....HELP,ha ha ha
Sep 16, 2021, 01:31 AM

Ha ha ha

There are some days I get very tired in my head.
Especially when there are different filaments and(new)G-codes to be used at the same time,it’s like Sudoku

Really?

Do you print with the IDEX XL version?

300C degrees?
5 year warranty?

Is there a chance you can print out your sports plane with some exotic filament in the nearby future?
Last edited by 3 DDD; Sep 16, 2021 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply