Sep 23, 2021, 09:06 AM

Makes perfect sense.

Hi ARUP,

I'm looking to build a Nieuport XI this winter and attempt pull-pull cable controls to the rudder and elevator (first time for me). I shall follow your good example. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Dale
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2021, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcav8r1952 View Post
Hi ARUP,

I'm looking to build a Nieuport XI this winter and attempt pull-pull cable controls to the rudder and elevator (first time for me). I shall follow your good example. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Dale
What scale and gas/glow or electric? I scratched a 1/6 electric N.11 a few years back. Weighs 3.5 lbs and runs on a 2S electric system.
Sep 26, 2021, 04:29 PM

Hi Stephen M

I'm doing my own plans for a 2"/Ft Nieuport XI and plan to power it with an O.S. .46 two stroke, but am thinking I might use the Nieuport as an opportunity to get into larger electric powered scale models.

Thanks.

Dale
Sep 26, 2021, 05:48 PM

DH5 pics

Good evening ARUP,

Just happened to be rummaging through some of my old WWI reference stuff and happened upon these (2) pics of the DH 5 replica that I saw fly at Aerodrome '92 at Guntersville AL Labor Day Weekend 1992. IIRC, Hurricane Andrew was disturbing (or had just disturbed) the Southern part of the country and some WWI a/c that were scheduled to attend were not able to make it. Quite an event. We had to wait a while for the skies to clear before they could get some aeroplanes up, but things cleared out and it was a wonderful experience.

Don't have any of the particulars on this particular DH5 other than it had a modern engine in it.

We drove down from New Hamster for the Saturday show before heading to Cincinnati for River Fest Sunday night. Ah, to be young and have a full tank of gas again!

Regards,

Dale
Sep 26, 2021, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcav8r1952 View Post
I'm doing my own plans for a 2"/Ft Nieuport XI and plan to power it with an O.S. .46 two stroke, but am thinking I might use the Nieuport as an opportunity to get into larger electric powered scale models.

Thanks.

Dale
If you want some advice on an electric version I would be happy to help. If glow what about a smaller 4 stroke? For comparison purposes I am turning a 14x11 about 4000 rpm at full throttle and that is very suitable in this airframe.
Sep 27, 2021, 07:03 AM

Good Morning Stephen M

I'd really like to hear about your experiences with electric motors, etc. but am not sure carrying on our dialogue on ARUP's fine DH5 thread is the proper place for it.

Howzabout hopping over to my "Not another Red Fokker Triplane!!!" thread here in the WWI Forums and we can talk 'til the cows come home?

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Thanks.

Regards,

Dale
Sep 27, 2021, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
No worries here!
Sep 28, 2021, 02:14 PM

Thanks ARUP

I appreciate it. I'm kinda shy about getting off topic in other folks' threads. I do like to chat and it's easy to get side tracked. At least for me!

As you probably noticed, I failed to include the DH5 pics from Aerodrome '92 that I mentioned in my former post. Let's try this again!

First Pic is of the DH5 airborne.

Second Pic is of the DH5 parked behind a nice looking SE5a. I was actually taking a pic of the SE5a.

Gotta say though, that my favorite aeroplane of the whole meet was Dennis Wiley's delightful 2/3 scale Jenny (Rotax powered). Bought the plans, but old age will prevent that flight of fancy from ever happening - perhaps there's an r/c model version of it in the future.

Regards,

Dale
Last edited by Rcav8r1952; Sep 28, 2021 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added pic descriptions
Dec 26, 2021, 10:22 PM
Nice model. My fathers uncle. Archibald Pratt flew these with 2 Sqn AFC. He mainly flew trench strafing missions . He crashed once and was shot down once. He survived the war.
Dec 27, 2021, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
EXBIRDY, that is a cool bit of history! Thanks for that. I like 'underdogs' and the poor DH-5 and the fellas that had to fly them sure fall into the category. Just think what an airplane it could have been if it got the Clerget rotary like the Camel!
Feb 04, 2022, 11:45 AM
Here is one I built. Seem to have modelled the same example as ARUP! This one is for Free flight, peanut scale. Empty weight around 16 grams, so no lightweight. Best flight 32 seconds from a R.o.g start. Windsock Datafile as documentation. Propeller changed for a plastic one after this photo was taken, it worked better and pushed the balance a bit further up front.

Tommy
Feb 05, 2022, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
That is really cool! I still need to put a black 'E' on the lower wing's bottom surface. The upper has a white 'E'.
Feb 09, 2022, 01:00 PM

Tt's scary to think .....

..... of going into combat with the gas tank sitting right above you! Very interesting, though, as it's a stagger-wing! Laramie.

Quick Reply