Sep 12, 2021, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Glow or electric

Hello again nerdmigos. I seem to be having a decision making disorder. Finishing up a Clancy Speedy Bee (normal size) and I canít decide between alcohol or electrons. I have several different choices at hand for either. What do you all consider when making these decisions? Hereís what I have so far.

Glow.

Smells right.
Sounds right.
I like fiddling with engines.
Less support gear (chargers)
Fewer expensive batteries.
Fewer goofy access hatches messing up the lines of my aircraft.

Electric.

Clean.
Quiet.
Something to be said for the ability to flip the switch and GO
No exhaust schmutz on the outside of my aircraft.
Reliable
Bigger prop.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2021, 07:59 AM
Sounds like you need to build two planes, Mike.

I like both myself as well.

Andy
Sep 12, 2021, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Sounds like you need to build two planes, Mike.

I like both myself as well.

Andy
Maybe a hybrid?
Sep 12, 2021, 09:24 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnymike View Post
Hello again nerdmigos. I seem to be having a decision making disorder. Finishing up a Clancy Speedy Bee (normal size) and I can’t decide between alcohol or electrons. I have several different choices at hand for either. What do you all consider when making these decisions? Here’s what I have so far.

Glow.

Smells right.
Sounds right.
I like fiddling with engines.
Less support gear (chargers)
Fewer expensive batteries.
Fewer goofy access hatches messing up the lines of my aircraft.

Electric.

Clean.
Quiet.
Something to be said for the ability to flip the switch and GO
No exhaust schmutz on the outside of my aircraft.
Reliable
Bigger prop.
If you go with a small 4-stroke engine you will reduce or eliminate the Glow problems. Personally I like the sound of a 4-stroke engine better than 2-stroke glow or electric.

Saito makes some real nice small 4-stroke engines. When doing from 2 to 4 stroke you need to increase the size by about 50%. 4-stroke engines also use larger props.

Last edited by RC Man; Sep 12, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
Sep 12, 2021, 09:47 AM

For me, the jury's still out on electrics

Hi Gunnymike,

Can't deny that electrics are cleaner and more convenient to operate that's for sure. I have spent the past five flying seasons trying to embrace ready-to-fly electrics, but over the Winter and this flying season rededicated myself to my .40-.60 two stroke Nitro models. I find the whole battery, charger, Life, Lipo, thing, this connector or that connector, this size battery for that size motor (which might not mesh with you current chargers) etc. too much to wrap my old, gray-haired head around sometimes. Most of my older 72 FM glow models have been converted to Spektrum Receivers and one type of Life battery pack (that uses the same charger), which is not too mind numbing!!!

Yup, glow engines are messy, noisy and sometimes a bit frustrating to get to run as nicely as we'd like, but having had over fifty years experience with old McCoy's, K&B's, O.S. Max's and Enya's, I'll go with "what I know" and probably let my electric fleet wear itself out over time and end up solely running Glow engines.

Regards,

Dale
Sep 12, 2021, 11:14 AM
I have smaller 15-25 size electric planes and 40-60-90 size 2 and 4 cycle airplanes. No way am I going to spend big bucks for batteries and motors. The fuel power systems give lots of performance for very low cost. I love the smell and sound of nitro in the morning.
Sep 12, 2021, 12:30 PM
Mike,

What's your "mission" with this airplane? Do you see it as something you will enjoy tossing in the car and flying at a moment's notice? Or do you foresee it being flown at a club field every now and then? If you want a quickly and easy flier - go electric. If you don't see yourself flying it often, and likely at a dedicated flying site, then go glow!

I own a lot of glow airplanes...and a lot of electric airplanes. Both serve their purposes well. Electric powered balsa models are very nice, in some respects the best of both worlds.

I think a lot of us folks who started with glow tend to waaaaay overthink and complicate electric installations. There's more components and numbers to make work together, instead of picking one size of engine from your favored manufacturer. But it's pretty straightforward. Standardize all of your connectors, even if that means putting new connectors on a battery or ESC. Stop thinking of airplane sizes in terms of "40 size" or even "Speed 400 size" - think of things in terms of Watts.

All in all, you can probably set up an electric power system on the Speedy Bee (battery, ESC, motor) for less than $75.
Sep 12, 2021, 12:45 PM
A man with too many toys

Electric and 4-stroke

For we I have mostly given up 2-stroke engines. Now days I have about half electric and half 4-stroke glow engines (mainly Saito).

Gasoline engines are the up an coming power system for medium and large airplanes. I am planning on a 4-stroke gasoline powered airplane this winter. I have not decided on the exact engine or airplane. One thing for sure, after watching some gasoline 2-stroke engines at the local flying field I do NOT want one of those - too noisy and smelly.

As far as this thread goes a Speedy Bee is too small for gasoline power. Something like a Saito 30 or 40 would be my choice.

Sep 12, 2021, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
I have suitable power setups in both glow and electric, including an unused saito 30. Also a good Hitec charger, connectors, batteries and other refinements. Glow engines up to 1.60 as well. This will be for normal club flying, not to be kept in my truck. I’ve flown my lazy bee both ways and can’t pick a favorite.
So far I’ve got it narrowed down to an HB .15 or a Turnigyc3536-1100
Also for the record, I’m not into 3D or needing enough power to hover.
Sep 12, 2021, 05:29 PM
I break it down to one question. Do you like fire breathing dragons or hummingbirds? Gear heads know the answer.
Edwin
Sep 12, 2021, 05:42 PM
Started flying Glow in the late 1960's, soloing on Glow R/C in 1971.

Married my wife in 1975, then taught her to fly (Glow)in 1976.

Flew our first Electric in 1987. Sold all of our Glow gear by 1988 stayed all-Electric since then. Haven't missed the unreliability, short life span, mess, or expense of Glow.

I will say the fantastic advances of brushless motors and LIpos (ESPECIALLY Lipos) have made it easy to justify staying Electric since then.

CD
Sep 12, 2021, 06:19 PM
San Antonio TX.
I also started flying glow in the early 60s, but I havenít flown glow now in over 25 years, gas or electric since then, I have absolutely no desire to ever fly glow again, but thatís just me.

Bob
Sep 12, 2021, 09:35 PM
I just want to go fly!
I like the sound and smell of fuel planes but all my fleet are electric. From umx to all my 60 size and up balsa kit builds. Mostly designed for fuel but built straight from kit for electric, prefer the look of the classic pattern planes but without the big chunk of metal sticking out messing with the sleek lines. Just my view on it.
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 12, 2021 at 09:44 PM.
Sep 13, 2021, 12:03 PM
A man with too many toys
Nice thing about a 4-stroke engine is you can add a long exhaust pipe without effecting the performance. You can't do that on a 2-stroke without taking a big performance hit.

Your Saito 30 sounds perfect to me.

Sep 14, 2021, 05:40 PM
team sleprock
like RC MAN said, that Saito 30 would be a perfect fit, and sound for your speedy bee!

I have an original Os.20fs, and when I get around too building a speedy, that is whats going in it!

Quick Reply