Sep 12, 2021, 12:15 AM
Paul Kohlmann
Thread OP
Build Log

60" Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk

After a bit of a break, I felt like dabbling with some building last week. I tend to be a one-at-a-time kind of builder, so there wasn't much in the shop that fit the bill. Choices were to cover the Volmer beta kit that I built for my son, or convert the P-36/Hawk beta kit from 2019 to a P-40. The latter was the obvious choice.

My normal routine is to build an alpha prototype that is the subject of each project's build thread. There are always a few corrections to be made to the alpha's cut file, so I frame up a beta prototype to make sure the kit is ready for release. I don't need two of the same airplane, so I normally rehome the beta kit.

In the case of the Hawk, I stashed the beta framework for a later date to be upgraded to the P-40 standard. Since the early marks of the P-40 were nearly identical to their P-36 predecessor, that only required a new nose from former F2 forward. That design work, the resulting kit for the changed parts, and the plan have all been sitting on the shelf for the last two years.

After unrolling the plan the other day I started to catch the building bug again. That was a nice feeling. So why not launch a build thread and keep the ball rolling? Here we go!

NOTE TO P-40 BUILDERS: Framing of the tail group and wings can be found in the P-36/Hawk 75 build thread. This prototype P-40 model was converted from the earlier Hawk model. P-40 kits will not require conversion.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Rata%21/page4

Koh
Last edited by Longhorne; Sep 14, 2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Updated to reference earlier P-36/Hawk 75 thread
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2021, 07:47 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Paul,

Now that's a build revival with a twist! Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one...

Steve
Sep 12, 2021, 09:33 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Following with much interest!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 12, 2021, 09:55 AM
Love it- we need more early P-40s!

subscribed!

D-Rock
Sep 12, 2021, 10:59 AM
Paul Kohlmann
Thread OP
Thanks, fellas! Just spent time searching for paint schemes and now I'm getting really excited.

D-Rock--couldn't agree more. Although I'm a fan of the P-40 in all of her incarnations, the earlier marks were the most shark-like--even when they weren't painted with a shark mouth.

As for the shark mouth, I've had a change of heart on my intended paint scheme. Originally I had envisioned finishing this model in the colors of an RAF 112 Squadron aircraft from North Africa. After all, this was the group that first adorned the P-40 with the now ubiquitous shark look. But since my last project (30" Brewster Buffalo) was done in RAF colors, I'm scrapping that plan.

An AVG Flying Tigers scheme is a great option. But you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a Flying Tigers P-40 at a scale gathering. Perhaps to Fuzz's chagrin, the P-40/shark combo is a bit overplayed

As a result, I'm turning my attention to USAAC schemes. They're not as flashy as the sharks, but they represent the state of affairs of the US Army Air Corps just before entry into WWII.

Koh
Sep 12, 2021, 12:54 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
I like the plain USAAC scheme also. The carb intake and gun fairings really make the nose on the early P-40's.

And yes, that shark mouth P-47 just no!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 12, 2021, 03:08 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Paul,

I like the larger size and think the US Army scheme would look great!

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Sep 12, 2021, 04:31 PM
Very interesting. I've been looking for something like this for a while.

Love the early P-40s.

Tom K.
Sep 12, 2021, 06:10 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hey Koh,

Good to see you back at it. The P-40 is a great choice.

Would you believe I have all the bits stashed away for your P-36 but was intending to cut my own parts so I guess your going to give me another decision to make..

Cheers,
Shane.
PS, usual deal if you need any printed bits!
Sep 13, 2021, 12:35 AM
Paul Kohlmann
Thread OP
Thanks, y’all—glad we have a fan club for this project!

Shane—I just sent you an IM but it looks like you’ve already answered my question here. I need to turn the 109 spinner and exhaust stack CAD files into P-40 parts. Then I’ll be looking to do some more horse trading with you

Koh
Sep 14, 2021, 06:17 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Subscribed
Sep 14, 2021, 10:47 AM
Paul Kohlmann
Thread OP
Ok--the time has come to start gluing some stuff together.

This will be a bit of a weird build thread. The tail group and wings were done in the P-36/Hawk 75 build thread. Rather than repost all of that stuff here, I'll refer folks to that thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Rata%21/page4

This thread will begin with the conversion of my Hawk fuselage to a P-40, but the overall goal is to produce a full P-40 kit rather than a kit of conversion parts. For future P-40 builders, the story will begin in the Hawk thread and end in this one.

First step for this project was to pull the Hawk beta fuselage down from the rack. The top half was glued together in 2019 with the exception of the battery tray and battery hatch. To begin the conversion from Hawk to Tomahawk, the Hawk nose was cut off between Hawk formers F3 and F4. New keels were grafted onto the Hawk structure, and then the P-40 nose formers went in.

This project got a lot longer! The Hawk fuse barely fit on my building board. The P-40 hangs off by a bunch

Koh
Sep 14, 2021, 11:07 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Paul

Glad to see the P-40 under way. Need to get started on the P-36 soon me thinks.

In reference to your building board issues, clearly you need a bigger board!!!!

Will be watching eagerly for updates.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Sep 14, 2021, 01:58 PM
Big gov never Works
An old German modeler, I knew in Fla., once told me I would fly a garbage can(if it had a mouth painted on it). I attached an old set of wings/tail surfaces to a garbage can. The wings/tail were from a crashed Storch, and brought it to the field. It sat in his living room for years! I am a nut over toothy nose planes, for sure!

Glad to have you back, my friend. I remember us talking about this a few years ago. Good.. this was the decision.

PS..mine will have a handpainted toothynose!

Fuzz
Sep 14, 2021, 02:37 PM
Paul Kohlmann
Thread OP
Brian, I agree completely. But right now my board is the same size as my work space since I have an intake manifold and teapot carb parked at one end. Too many projects are languishing at my place.

Fuzz! I can totally picture that unholy toothy alliance

Koh

Quick Reply