New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2005, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by 800mZero
3DHS Junkie

Graupner Cub as first gas plane?

Hey Guys,

Benn flying for a few months now--I have countless hours in a slo-v, parkzone J3 cub, as well as a stryker.

I';ve been thinking baout going gas and have been looking at the graupner cub mainly because of price, plus i like the cub airframe.

WOuld this be a decent plane for me to break into gas with?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2005, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
A Cub is not a good trainer - they have very poor ground handling and as a result hard take offs and landings. Better get some experience with tail draggers before trying a Cub. I know several experienced pilots, who don't like Cubs just because of their notorious ground handling.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by wrenwright
Battery Junkie
He's already flown a PZ Cub, so I say go for it. The Stryker is not a forgiving airplane. If you can handle that one, you should be ok with a Cub.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
In Massive Debt
Nah, the parkzone cub isnt anything like a gas one. You jsut handlaunch that one. I wouldnt reccomend the cub as a first glow plane either. If you want something kind of like a cub, but with better ground handling, try this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBDE7&P=0

Or if you want something different, but relatively easy to fly, try this:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR2&P=0

or
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDUL8&P=0
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by 800mZero
3DHS Junkie
Thanks for the help guys,

Many people only handlaunch theire parkzone planes ---I do not I ROG wiht absolutely no problem, it took some practice but she takes off from the ground like a champ.

I noticed you said the U-cando 3d plane, I have also been looking at these plus the extra 300 style of plane. WHat are peoples thoughts on these as a first gas--- I can handle speed, that doesnt bother me. However so far i have only flown 3 channel.

Any help would be great---I'm pretty satisfied with my little park flyers --but after wathing my friend fly his Hanger 9 60 Corsair --the gas bug is itching me. He has the exact same experience as me and has no problems flying his corsair so I think I can handle it. All opinions are more than wlecome on this.

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by thacherd
I'll try anything once!
I went from electric into glow planes this summer the safe way. I bought a SIG Kadet LT-40 trainer, and loved it. Then after a couple of flights I moved onto a Tower Hobbies Kaos. The difference between the 2 is real simple, the trainer with a flat bottom wing wants to climb, and the Kaos with a semi symetrical wings goes where you point it and is a little less forgiving. I also have a Slow Poke and I love that plane. It can rock fast or slow to a crawl for a landing. I had the club guys joking that they could hand catch the poke when it lands. I would recomend that you use a plane with trike gear at first for ROG's. The trike is less likely to tip, and easier to control on the ground. I wouls also shy away from the U can do's at this time, until you ger some more aileron time under your belt. Those planes are designed a bit tail heavy, with large control surfaces for 3D and can be handfull if you don't know how to control them.
I guess I would recomend the LT-40 for your first glow plane. It has a large 70+ inch wing span, goes together easily, flies great, and with a .46 on the nose can really cook in the sky (especially with high rates on your radio) Even though I enjoy my low wing planes now, I still get the trainer out and rip up the sky with it.

Here's a link to the plane:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFG19&P=ML

and a link to my web site with some photos:
www.mspwebs.com/rcflight

Good luck with whatever plane you choose.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
I'd recommend a Hobbico Avistar or a H9 Arrow - both have semi-symmetrical wings and are pretty good aerobats. They are keepers - if you don't crash the plane - you can fly such a plane even when you're advanced pilot - like after a week or two away from the field, in the spring - just to get your level of confidence up.