Sep 08, 2021, 07:06 PM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
Discussion

Need help binding X6R with Taranis X9D

I haven't used my RC gear in a couple of years so I downloaded the latest OpenTx version 2.3.14 and now I can't bind my RXs. The internal and external RF on my old models are all OFF. I tried to set up a new model and turned on the internal RF but I can't get any of my receivers to bind. I watched some videos to refresh my memory but still couldn't get them to bind. I have included pictures of some of the settings below. The picture with the bind option showing is where I'm trying to bind the rx from. Thanks, David
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2021, 09:42 PM
Last year FrSky released a new version of their ACCST D16 protocol. The new version, D16v2, is incompatible with the original version, which is now called v1. The firmware on both the Rx and Tx must be the same version in order to work. My guess is that you may now have mismatched versions.
Sep 09, 2021, 09:13 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
Is there a way to resolve this? I get really confused with these different protocols. How do I get the same protocol on my TX and RX, do I go back to an older version of OpenTX or can I update my RXs?
Sep 09, 2021, 09:28 PM
My old receivers had to have their firmware flashed and then I could bind them in ACCESS mode but found the range dropped drastically. That seems to a unique problem of mine and I am going to try to bind in ACCST and see if the range problem gets better.
My GR6 bound ok in ACCESS mode after my XD9+ Opentx 2.3.14 update.
My G-RX6 receivers came with a plug that goes in the Sbus plug and the other end goes in the transmitter next to the battery plug and then I could flash the receivers from firmware that I had found in opentx and stored on my transmitter memory card.
Sep 09, 2021, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CDragonfly
My G-RX6 receivers came with a plug that goes in the Sbus plug and the other end goes in the transmitter next to the battery plug and then I could flash the receivers from firmware that I had found in opentx and stored on my transmitter memory card.
That’s a good description. For anyone hasn’t been through the process, a few other points might help:

- The radio OS, OpenTx, is separate and distinct from the RF firmware on both the Tx and Rx. The former you can and should get from the OTX Website, the latter from the FrSky Website.
- ACCST D16v2 solves a serious but rare problem that could cause uncommanded control events.
- With ACCST, there’s no way to tell which firmware you’re running on an Rx. With ACCESS, you can.
- A number of knowledgeable and informed RCG users have commented that the range of ACCESS is less than that of ACCST. My own results suggest the same.
- Some FrSky users maintain that ACCST D16v2 is a fraud or is unreliable. To date, there has been no hard evidence to support either claim. Quite the contrary, in fact.

@R/CDragonfly has run into what seems to be an unusual situation. I’m not sure we understand it yet. I certainly don’t. It’s definitely something worth trying to solve.
Sep 10, 2021, 07:43 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
I downloaded the OpenTx software 2.3.14 to my computer.
I flashed the new version OpenTX 2.3.14 Firmware & Bootloader (the old version was 2.1.9) to my X9D TX.
I flashed the X6R with the firmware from the FrSky site. (fw-x6r-x8r-v2.1.0)
Still not working.
Sep 10, 2021, 08:25 AM
USA
Last edited by d_wheel; Sep 10, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
Sep 10, 2021, 09:22 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
I flashed the internal XJT module with ... update time-2020-03-24 version- ACCST D16 v2.1.0 ...
I was able to bind the RXs and everything seems to be working,
Thanks for your help.
Sep 10, 2021, 10:42 AM
Good stuff.
Sep 10, 2021, 11:30 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
I spoke too soon :-(
The X6R binds, but No signal gets to it from the TX.
Sigh.
Sep 10, 2021, 08:06 PM
Quote:
* Some Taranis X9D may have the compatibility issue, we do not recommend users to update this transmitter to the 2.X.X version.
Poking around on the FrSky Website, I found a reference to “the compatibility issue” quoted above:
https://www.frsky-rc.com/important-f...ate-accst-d16/

There wasn’t any further info that I could see. Mind you, I’m away from home and browsing on a small phone screen which makes things harder. It doesn’t help that I don’t own an X9D and have never used one.

Perhaps you can search out further info. Possibly you may need to revert to D16v1.
Sep 10, 2021, 08:53 PM
The X6R now binds to the transmitter so the RF firmwares are now in sync.

"No signal gets to it from the transmitter."

You said earlier that you made a new model when you were first trying to get the receiver to bind.

My assumption is that something went wrong while programming OpenTX on your Taranis. You did say it had been a couple of years since you used it. That is understandable. Since we can't see what you did on your Taranis, it makes it very difficult for us.

If you upload your .OTX file, we can take a look at it and provide you with feedback.
Sep 11, 2021, 06:58 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
Poking around on the FrSky Website, I found a reference to “the compatibility issue” quoted above:
https://www.frsky-rc.com/important-f...ate-accst-d16/

There wasn’t any further info that I could see. Mind you, I’m away from home and browsing on a small phone screen which makes things harder. It doesn’t help that I don’t own an X9D and have never used one.

Perhaps you can search out further info. Possibly you may need to revert to D16v1.
Thanks,
I did see this on that page ...

RF MODULE – iXJT & XJT
X7 / X7S / X9DP (NON-2019) / X9DP SE (NON-2019) / X9E / X-Lite / X10 (NON-EXPRESS) / X10S (NON-EXPRESS) / X12S / XJT
* Some Taranis X9D may have the compatibility issue, we do not recommend users to update this transmitter to the 2.X.X version.

I figured I had the X9D+(X9DP) so I was all set. Reverting to D16v1. is on the table.

I sure am learning a lot about my Radio :-)
Sep 11, 2021, 07:15 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by solson888
The X6R now binds to the transmitter so the RF firmwares are now in sync.

"No signal gets to it from the transmitter."

You said earlier that you made a new model when you were first trying to get the receiver to bind.

My assumption is that something went wrong while programming OpenTX on your Taranis. You did say it had been a couple of years since you used it. That is understandable. Since we can't see what you did on your Taranis, it makes it very difficult for us.

If you upload your .OTX file, we can take a look at it and provide you with feedback.
Very good point; I have forgotten just about everything to do with the TX and OpenTX.
I am in the process of scratch building an FT Storch. I had only gotten to naming the the model in the TX when I hit upon the binding issue. I am going to play with it some more today. I will upload the .OXT file if I still can't figure it out.
Thanks
Sep 11, 2021, 06:26 PM
If your model programming has no outputs set, the receiver won’t drive any servos. That could be the problem, I suppose.

Quick Reply