Sep 07, 2021, 09:45 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Question

Multiplex Mentor

I bought a Mentor kit at a swap meet but no instructions came with it. Somewhere I remember reading only one type of glue is recommended for Multiplex’s foam but don’t remember what it was.
Anybody know?
TIA
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2021, 06:42 PM
Here you are

This model is not made of styrofoam™, and it is not possible to glue the material using white glue, polyurethane or
epoxy; these adhesives only produce a superficial bond which gives way when stressed. Please use mediumviscosity cyano-acrylate glue exclusively, preferably our Zacki-ELAPOR®, # 59 2727 - the cyano glue optimised
specifically for ELAPOR® particle foam.
If you use Zacki-ELAPOR® you will find that you do not need cyano kicker or activator for most joints. However, if
you wish to use a different adhesive, and are therefore obliged to use kicker / activator spray, we recommend that
you apply the material in the open air to avoid health problems.
Please take care when handling cyano-acrylate adhesives. These materials harden in seconds, so you should
avoid getting them on your fingers or other parts of the body. We strongly recommend the use of goggles to protect
your eyes. Keep the adhesive out of the reach of children.
Sep 15, 2021, 06:53 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Thanks thermal,
Now to find that adhesive. :^)
Sep 17, 2021, 06:52 PM
Proud to be a Belgian.
Any CA will work with the Elapor material, also any kicker is safe for the foam.
In fact, I use the most cheap CA glue on the market, works perfect!
Sep 18, 2021, 07:37 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafgol
Any CA will work with the Elapor material, also any kicker is safe for the foam.
Thanks.
By ‘any CA’ you mean any foam safe ca?
Sep 18, 2021, 09:45 AM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Thanks.
By ‘any CA’ you mean any foam safe ca?
No...you do not need to use foam safe CA on Multiplex ELAPOR foam.

Nor do you need to use ZACKI exclusively. Using ZACKI does not require to use a kicker to fast set the glue.

Use a regular CA that is medium viscosity or medium gap filling for much of it. The thicker CA gives you a little
bit of time, not much, to move parts about. Use the thin stuff very sparingly as it will travel from one end of the
fuselage to the other end if you hold one end elevated.

Use kicker sparingly, especially in places such as where the control horns go into the ailerons and R/E. If you use
too much kicker the glue will set up to itself and not properly fuse the horn to the foam. Somewhere down the line the horn
will loosen up and detach from the surface. If you use kicker then mist the foam where the horn goes, add the CA
to the horn base and insert and press firmly for a few seconds. Make certain you understand in what direction the horns
point. Folks often place them in backwards.

I have a Mentor and it is a charm to fly.
Last edited by Lufo; Sep 18, 2021 at 09:55 AM.
Sep 18, 2021, 09:56 AM
Very lucky guy to find a Mentor kit. Great flying model.
I concur with Lufo about the CA. I've used HobbyKing and others CA with no problems.
Sep 18, 2021, 10:01 AM
When you go to glue the plastic attachments for the cowling/canopy use this method.

First glue the two pointy receiver pieces in the fuselage, making sure you have them properly oriented in the fuse.

Next use medium thick, slow setting CA or similar and squeeze a small, very small portion in the slots in the canopy, quickly place the two tabs into the canopy, properly oriented, and press the canopy assembly into place on the fuse. Let it dry thoroughly (do not use kicker).

Doing it this way ensures that when you attach the canopy, the tabs on the canopy will align up properly with the receiver pieces in the fuse and then dry to that position. Do not use too much CA on the canopy piece as you do not want that CA dripping down and gluing the canopy to the fuse.

Once dry, you can remove the canopy and use thin CA to fill in where you think more glue may be needed.
Sep 19, 2021, 08:12 PM
Friend of Foam
I scored my 3rd Mentor this weekend at the NEAT Fair. Swore I wouldn't buy another plane, but I saw it for sale along with floats. It's my favorite airplane, hands down. I've had pretty good luck using CA, but I prefer FoamTac. Takes a bit longer to cure, but I like the flexibility of the glue. I plan on stripping the stickers from this one, adding a tow hitch for gliders like my other ones have, and doing a different paint scheme.
Latest blog entry: Gallery
Sep 19, 2021, 10:31 PM
Nice find on the Mentor. Sort of been looking for a NIB one but I have too many planes now as it is.

I did not use the stock gear as it made the plane sometimes a little squirrelly on take off and landings. Went with a smaller and lower Great Planes aluminum gear; don't recall the part number but it is 14 inch inside to inside where the wheels are. I think the wheels are about 3.5 inches and I did have to carve out a bit of foam to make it all fit.

I used a milled GRP motor mount from Germany that has the down and right angles milled in. Mounts right up the existing firewall.
Last edited by Lufo; Oct 24, 2021 at 07:50 PM.
Sep 20, 2021, 07:55 AM
Friend of Foam
Very nice! Agree the landing gear needs to be changed, even more so the dinky wheels they supply, and of course the plastic motor mount. Nitpicky stuff but overall a great plane. I've been able to haul up 3 meter gliders without an issue with a 32 equivalent motor.
Latest blog entry: Gallery
Sep 20, 2021, 05:28 PM
Thanks. I don't recall the motor size on mine but I think the plane is a touch under powered or I have it under prop'ed. Did not fly my Mentor this year but I might want to bring it out to the field and give the old horse a few trips around the field.

I need to look again into getting a more suitable motor fo rthe plane. It is on 3s lipo now and I may just go to 4s lipo.
Oct 02, 2021, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix239
Very lucky guy to find a Mentor kit. Great flying model.
I concur with Lufo about the CA. I've used HobbyKing and others CA with no problems.
+1 I was looking for one several years. I gave up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafgol
+1 CA glue is one of the few useful things Hobbyking still stocks in local warehouses. Unless you can find some even more locally, you can get it there. Go for medium viscosity.
Oct 03, 2021, 09:31 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
I never bought from HK, I find their site too confusing.
Oct 03, 2021, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
I never bought from HK, I find their site too confusing.
Yep, it was a lot better before they "improved" it with a new web design. I find Bangugood to be just as bad, never bought
from BG for various reasons, one being a lack of motivation to learn the site.

Have you made any progress on the Mentor?

Quick Reply