Sep 07, 2021, 07:38 PM
Get a wheel collar the same size as the shaft on the rudder, probably 1/8". Find a 4-40 screw threaded all the way to the head, 1" or so. The wheel collar is probably already threaded 4-40.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2021, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gltruett
Get a wheel collar the same size as the shaft on the rudder, probably 1/8". Find a 4-40 screw threaded all the way to the head, 1" or so. The wheel collar is probably already threaded 4-40.
Outstanding! Thank you.
Sep 08, 2021, 11:03 AM
B for Bruce
Be sure to observe the geometry of the final setup so the axis between rod and hole on that style of horn is at 90 to the rudder though. So the bolt that goes into the wheel collar and holds the tab for the clevis needs to angle back quite strongly.

I'd also reach in with a small file and get a flat on the rudder post in the right spot for the screw in the collar to bed onto and slather both parts with thread locker. There's no going back in without more surgery in the future after all.

Sharp looking design too. Not a pattern model and not really a class specific racer. But clearly intended to do big fast jet style maneuvers.

I can't help thinking that a short "racing" canopy and fill in rest around the tuned pipe stack would add to the vintage racer image. Sort of like the Mew Gull racing canopy setup. The silicone pipe extension could stick out through the top of the low canopy top.
Sep 08, 2021, 01:38 PM
Scott
Bruce beat me to it. Be sure to file a nice flat on the rod, I would locktite the bolt in as well. I am not a big fan or wheel collars for this application, but you really don't have much choice here. I would probably go back once the geometry is figured out and the collar is installed and wick some medium CA into it for piece of mind, but that is just me.

Scott
Sep 08, 2021, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Will do the flat spot and report back. Thanks guys.
Sep 23, 2021, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Could not find a collar to fit the wire so I just made my own arm.
Sep 23, 2021, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22
Could not find a collar to fit the wire so I just made my own arm.
A true modeler/builder...
Sep 23, 2021, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
A true modeler/builder...
Fun with my little mill. Thanks

Quick Reply