Sep 05, 2021, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

The 'straight through' swept wing Sea Hawk

The final element of the Sea Hawk development triumvirate, a swept wing Sea Hawk but with a single exhaust and included an early afterburner as well.
It started life as the second P1052 but had a new rear fuselage grafted on. The engine remained the RR Nene.
Name: NewTail.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 65.4 KB
Description:
It included a swept tail plane and fin. That fin looks very Hunter(ish).
The change was significant enough to warrant a number change to P1081. It first flew in June 1950.
This silhouette neatly shows the development path Hawker took from the straight wing Sea Hawk to the Hunter.
Name: History.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 53.9 KB
Description:

Although the EDF and inlet would be as before the long exhaust duct suggested rather than inserting the complete duct into a half shell as I did with the Sea Hawk and P1052 it would be possible to use the duct as a 'spine' and simply build the fuselage around it.
The bifurcated inlet, EDF with the first of 5 exhaust sections, all 3D printed.
Name: EDFducts.JPG
Views: 18
Size: 188.0 KB
Description:
The full length duct with the first planks added over the fuselage formers all in 5 mm XPS. The final exhaust section includes a nozzle that reduces the duct to 90% of the FSA
Name: Firstplank.JPG
Views: 22
Size: 198.3 KB
Description:
After many hours the basic planking is complete with the wing roots still to do.
Name: FusePlank1.JPG
Views: 24
Size: 166.1 KB
Description:
It can get a bit disheartening building such a long fuselage piece. At least with the Sea Hawk's 3 part fuselage you could finish a part and move on to the next.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2021, 02:57 PM
A good choice of subject and what I coincidence. I just completed the first successful (a long story) test flight of my own design 3d printed Hawker P.1081, yesterday. Mine is modelled on the later guise with the wing fences, longer tailpipe and slightly larger tailplane. It's still in primer in the picture.

Just wondering, did you incorporate any washout in your wings ?

Will
Sep 10, 2021, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Will
That's very nice.
I do not intend any washout.
In foam and a swept wing it is quite likely that the normal wing flex will create the effect of washout.
As far as I am aware there was not that much development as it first flew in June 1950 and crashed just 10 months later in April 1951. On the other hand the earlier P1052 flew on till 1957 and still exists at the Yeovilton museum.
Last edited by Quorneng; Sep 11, 2021 at 06:03 AM.
Sep 11, 2021, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
The fuselage planking complete with the root fairings.
Name: RootFair1.JPG
Views: 16
Size: 212.2 KB
Description:
Next is the base of the fin.
Name: FinBase.JPG
Views: 22
Size: 200.6 KB
Description:
It is not only secured at the top of the fuselage but actually goes through the skin and is also glued to the duct. It need to be rigid as it also carries the swept tail plane.
To overcome the issue of the canted elevator hinge line each elevator will have its own servo mounted in the tail plane.
The un planked area is to allow the elevator servo wire to be passed through the fuselage formers forward to what will be the cockpit.
Sep 14, 2021, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
Slowly plodding on.
The tail plane
Name: Tailplane.JPG
Views: 12
Size: 221.3 KB
Description: .
Its top and bottom skins are 3 mm Depron sanded to five a stream line profile.
The 3.7 g elevator servo lie flush with the top surface.
The fin.
Name: Tail1.JPG
Size: 173.2 KB
Description:
As the servos are mounted symmetrically opposite, they had to be to fit!, one will need a servo reverser.
Name: SrvoReverse.JPG
Views: 18
Size: 194.4 KB
Description:
Very small and light. The wires are then combined so only a single wire is taken forward to the cockpit . There is no rudder.
Wings next.
Last edited by Quorneng; Sep 15, 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Sep 14, 2021, 06:04 PM
Awesome work!
Sep 15, 2021, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
A start on the wings.
They are identical to the P1052 having one piece skins pulled over 2 sheer webs. It is carefully adjusted to create a near scale semi symmetrical section..
Name: Wings1.JPG
Size: 204.0 KB
Description:
As before they are simply glued directly onto the wing root.
Name: WingOn1.JPG
Views: 13
Size: 220.1 KB
Description:
After leaving to dry the other wing can go on.
Name: Wings2.JPG
Size: 194.4 KB
Description:
Note the aileron and elevator servo wires have been brought forward to the cockpit area so allowing the fuselage underside planking to be completed.

The cockpit & nose next.
It will be the 3rd time I will have made this part of the Sea Hawk!
Sep 18, 2021, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
A 'Sea Hawk' nose added.
Name: Complete1.JPG
Views: 14
Size: 190.5 KB
Description:
All the wires are brought into the cockpit.
The removable hatch/canopy for access.
Name: Canopy3.JPG
Size: 202.9 KB
Description:
Note the off set part of the hatch to allow the battery to be positioned to counter the weight of the ESC positioned in the RH cockpit wall.
Note the 'stab' receiver. This should make the maiden a bit less stressful but it can be replaced with a conventional rx once the P1081's flight characteristics have been 'sorted'.
The hatch/canopy is located by the windscreen at the front and a small magnet at the rear.
Name: Canopy2.JPG
Views: 9
Size: 176.5 KB
Description:
Paint next
Sep 21, 2021, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
Decorating the P1081 is relatively easy, a very pale green/blue overall. Most if not all the photos in its relatively short life are black and white so picking exactly the right colour is a bit of a guess.
This is what I ended up with.
Name: Paint1.JPG
Views: 9
Size: 184.1 KB
Description:
The decals are fairly simple and although not quite the right size are the same as I used for the Sea Hawk and P1052.
Name: Complete2.JPG
Size: 215.3 KB
Description:
The wings and tail are identical to the P1052 which flies very well but the bigger diameter of the rear fuselage and the longer duct have added a bit of weight however the inlet geometry is aerodynamically rather better so hopefully one will counteract the other!
We shall see.
Sep 23, 2021, 10:51 AM
Pro Hoarder
That looks great..Nice work again....I believe that is Robins egg blue...I bet it flys really well..the CG looks like it will be fun to get dialed in.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 23, 2021, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
The CofG was not too much of a problem as its wings and tail plane are identical to the P1052 which flies well.
Courtesy of a Lemon stab receiver, actually the same one I used for the maiden of the Sea Hawk and P1052, it actually flies quite nicely.
P1018 maiden (3 min 33 sec)

No rocket ship but nice and easy to fly although I expect much of that control smoothness is down to the stab receiver.

Now all I have to do is summon up the will power to make the prototype P1067 Hawker Hunter in the same material and to the same scale to complete the development set.
Sep 27, 2021, 07:49 PM
Nice build and flight!

Quick Reply